What's new

Criterion Press Release: Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I saw the framing in the caps presented earlier.

I freeze-framed - froze-framed? - in a bunch of the shots capped on the other site and what I saw accurately matched what they showed (even if the caps' colors looked weaker than what I saw).

Whether that's "egregious" or accurate I'll leave up to others to decide, as I don't claim to know the correct framing.

The Uni and Criterion versions offer different framing, but as others have noted, that doesn't make the Uni correct.

So let that bickering continue! :D
I just ordered this one from Amazon. I think Criterion has done outstanding work for decades (their choosing to not do UHD releases is a valid criticism though), so I don’t think I’ll be displeased.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just ordered this one from Amazon. I think Criterion has done outstanding work for decades (their choosing to not do UHD releases is a valid criticism though), so I don’t think I’ll be displeased.
I don't think you will be, but for me this "revolving door" of multidipping on movies I have bought since VHS is over. will wait for UHD w/ HDR. If it doesn't happen, then I'll make the Criterion purchase.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I don't think you will be, but for me this "revolving door" of multidipping on movies I have bought since VHS is over. will wait for UHD w/ HDR. If it doesn't happen, then I'll make the Criterion purchase.
If there’s anything good about the decline and possible demise of physical media, it’s the whole multi-dipping stuff is pretty much over.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
I got the same email this morning in response to my query about the framing difference:
-----
Hi Doug,

Thank you for your concern regarding our recent release of FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH. There's no error.

We set up the framing using a SMPTE framing chart for 35mm and 1.85 (attached). While it appeared that the older transfer was zoomed out slightly less, our version is 100% accurate to the chart.

Furthermore, director Amy Heckerling had not been involved in any aspect of the older transfer but did approve this framing, color, and all other elements of the Criterion release.

Overall, the difference is minor and the range of any discrepancies is similar to what you might see in a theater screening.

Hope this helps! Best,
Kseniya
This is helpful but
I've got the Criterion in my player right now and it looks very good.

The colors in the screen caps make the hues seem more pale than they are on my TV.

Unfortunately, I don't own the Uni BD so I can't directly compare - I reviewed the Uni but that was years ago.

All I know is the Criterion looks very natural to me! I wouldn't want to see colors that're "hotter" than on the Criterion, as they'd be overdone.
Will you be completing a review?
I've got the Criterion in my player right now and it looks very good.

The colors in the screen caps make the hues seem more pale than they are on my TV.

Unfortunately, I don't own the Uni BD so I can't directly compare - I reviewed the Uni but that was years ago.

All I know is the Criterion looks very natural to me! I wouldn't want to see colors that're "hotter" than on the Criterion, as they'd be overdone.
Are you writing a full review?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Very much looking forward to this blu-ray. Unfortunately, Amazon is listing the delivery date as "May 19-June 23." WTF?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Very much looking forward to this blu-ray. Unfortunately, Amazon is listing the delivery date as "May 19-June 23." WTF?
Seems to be normal these days with Amazon. I used to get stuff within 3 days of order- now 2 weeks is the delay.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
You must be on a cell.
in the vessel with the pestle :D!

1620291794948.png

Users who are viewing this thread