What's new

Criterion Press Release: Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
OK, I've watched the disk and the bonus material. First let me say Olivia Wilde needs her own talk show. She guides two very strong personalities (Heckerling, Crowe) through their magnum opus together and really elicits great responses. It's clear that she really 'gets' this film and is a smart and thoughtful appreciator of cinema. I really don't follow a lot of celebrities so wasn't really familiar with her outside of a few films, but she is very talented in this arena.

The crop: It feels a bit claustrophobic to me, and I am willing to believe that was intentional and matches the theatrical release. I was way more thrown by the grain throughout and a number of instances of ADR not matching up (watch the girls lips at the pizza place at the beginning). The color is very well done and I am satisfied this is about as good as the film can look. There is a good write up in the book about the scan process and I'm curious if we will ever see the full 4k res scan.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
We gave this a spin last night. (I have a pro-calibrated JVC RS440 and Panasonic 820 paired with a 9 foot wide ST100 scope screen). I thought it looked excellent. Very analog/filmic. Gone is that harsh, clipped, "electronic" look of the old BD. The colors look much more balanced. Grain nicely intact. I did find the shadow detail at times a small bit limited, but it felt related to the source and original photography. Maybe HDR could open this up a little more? Not sure really and not a big deal. Regarding the framing, honestly, I didn't even notice. Absolutely looks fine to me and I believe this is the way the director intended it to look. I don't know if this will reach UHD BD, but I am very happy with this disc even if it's the final release.

As far as the TV edit, I thought that was pretty cool to include and will eventually check it out. I read on another forum the boom mic is visible in a least one of the scenes (so much for more space being better lol).

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
As far as the TV edit, I thought that was pretty cool to include and will eventually check it out. I read on another forum the boom mic is visible in a least one of the scenes (so much for more space being better lol).
Proving once again that people who want Open Matte versions need to have their heads examined.

1621017017411.png

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Does the audio still have the new sound effects from the old release?

I know Amy Heckerling used Universal stings in the original release, I wasn't aware they were replaced in the previous Blu. I have no way of checking. The booklet says this: “The 5.1 surround sountrack was created in 2004 by the Universal Studios Sound Department from the original 35mm DME magnetic track and the half inch magnetic music masters. Additional restoration was performed by the Criterion Collection.”

Review posted:

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
187047618_4107908995943165_6767203000893497779_n.jpg

Rumors for 2022 release. This is only a rumor and the cover art is not final (thank God)

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Sheesh. They wasted no time after the Criterion. At least let it sell a few copies before you do this, Universal!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sheesh. They wasted no time after the Criterion. At least let it sell a few copies before you do this, Universal!

Sam, be aware this is only rumor at this point and 2022 is some time away.

However, it would be foolish to believe that Universal wouldn't be planning to release this in 4k. It's a huge film for them and comedies seem to be their largest target for the format.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Sam, be aware this is only rumor at this point and 2022 is some time away.

However, it would be foolish to believe that Universal wouldn't be planning to release this in 4k. It's a huge film for them and comedies seem to be their largest target for the format.
All true, not to mention that 2022 is - gasp! - the film's 40th anniversary.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
It only took about a year-and-a-half for Universal to release Do The Right Thing on UHD BD after Criterion released the 30th ann BD.

On the other hand, where is The Breakfast Club on UHD BD? The 35th ann was last year. Meanwhile, Howard the Duck on UHD BD is coming from Universal..

Hard to tell with these things.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks