What's new

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
I agree. This is one of the all-time greats and it deserves to be 4K -- but the Universal release is so spectacular, I may wait a bit on this. And the cover art is pretty lackluster.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
When I made my original comment, I was not referring to anyone on this Forum making a decision based on package design. I was speaking about the packaging attracting those who have no knowledge about film noir, black and white movies, vintage Hollywood, the Criterion Collection, etc. but might be attracted and intrigued by the cover.....which these days will be viewed mostly online.
Fair enough. But I suspect that the segment of the populace that have very little knowledge of those categories of film are more likely to be buying their movies -- if they do indeed still buy movies on disc -- at their local Wal-Mart, not on-line.

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
For those curious, it looks like what isn't being ported over from the Universal BD is the Robert Osborne intro, the Lem Dobbs and Nick Redman commentary, and the 1973 TV movie.
Thanks for the heads up, Traveling Matt. I’ll buy this 4K/UHD Day One, but not a chance in Hell I’d ever toss a precious BD commentary away that has the input and exchanges of Lem Dobbs and Nick Redman. This, and this alone, is what will save the older BD of “Double Indemnity” from ever being obsolete.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This, and this alone, is what will save the older BD of “Double Indemnity” from ever being obsolete.
What if you didn't already have the previous Blu-ray?

As I said, I've been meaning to get the old one and never got around to it. So as soon as this was announced, I expected the Criterion to be my one and only purchase.

I can absolutely understand saving an old Blu-ray for a commentary track (I've saved older editions for less than that), but would it be worth buying the Universal disc just for the commentary?

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
What if you didn't already have the previous Blu-ray?

As I said, I've been meaning to get the old one and never got around to it. So as soon as this was announced, I expected the Criterion to be my one and only purchase.

I can absolutely understand saving an old Blu-ray for a commentary track (I've saved older editions for less than that), but would it be worth buying the Universal disc just for the commentary?
Jake, there’s a half dozen ways to answer your question. Far easier to answer if I personally knew your specific likes and dislikes, but I’ll give it a shot.

I, myself, am biased towards the commentaries of Nick Redman and his Peckinpah posse, over all others. I also know that if I accidentally came upon a Redman commentary discovered on an older BD after having purchased an upgraded transfer, I’d absolutely be double-dipping. I’m not a groupie or fanatic on this front but, rather, someone who simply enjoys, appreciates and admires.

Hey, it’s Nick and Lou upon a Wilder classic. So grab a bottle of wine, steal some solitude and bask in the voices of old, old friends who’s got some pretty good stuff to share.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I, myself, am biased towards the commentaries of Nick Redman and his Peckinpah posse, over all others. I also know that if I accidentally came upon a Redman commentary belonging on a BD already owned by me through an upgrade, I’d be double-dipping. I’m not a groupie or fanatic on this front but, rather, someone who simply enjoys, appreciates and admires.
It's too bad that they didn't keep that Redman audio commentary instead of Richard Schickel's. I find Schickel's audio commentaries among my least favorite ones. As to film noir and this movie in particular, I would think an audio commentary with Eddie Muller and Imogen Sara Smith would be outstanding. However, Muller doesn't do many audio commentaries any longer, but, at least, we have a conversation between the two foremost "film noir" experts. I'm looking forward to that featurette with Muller's sense of humor and glib personality combined with Smith's professional and thorough comments.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's too bad that they didn't keep that Redman audio commentary instead of Richard Schickel's.
I would be interested to know why they decided to license one commentary from Universal's disc and not the other. Presumably there would be enough room on the disc to include both. If they're already paying Universal to license the film and one of the commentaries, surely it wouldn't have been that much more expensive to license both.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I would be interested to know why they decided to license one commentary from Universal's disc and not the other. Presumably there would be enough room on the disc to include both. If they're already paying Universal to license the film and one of the commentaries, surely it wouldn't have een that much more expensive to license both.
For what it’s worth, Jake, I’ll be double-dipping, too…just not, though, in such a shorter frame of time. If the Redman commentary is potentially holding your interests, order one now and get the Criterion down the road at a B&N sale. Heck, half price will serve ‘em right for not being able to capture Nick and Lem.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If the Redman commentary is potentially holding your interests, order one now and get the Criterion down the road at a B&N sale.
I only started thinking about that when you mentioned how good it is.

The thing is that I would probably only listen to the commentary once and then put it away. So, if I know I want the Criterion, I'm not sure it's worth paying twice for something I would not likely replay.

Obviously it is a very different kind of movie, but I have the same issue with The Parent Trap (Lindsay Lohan's version.) I went from owning it on VHS and never getting around to the DVD and then I upgraded to the Blu-ray. The DVD version had a commentary track, which I would like to hear once. The Blu-ray is completely barebones because it is a Disney Movie Club exclusive and most of those are that. But I would never use the DVD for anything other than the commentary because my choice for viewing the film will always be the HD version. So I haven't felt the need to reverse-double-dip on account of one commentary that I wouldn't likely reuse.

Last edited:
  • Agreed
Reactions: PMF

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
During the recent Dead Pixel Podcast (an interview with LOC's Heather Linville and George Willeman) Lee Kline mentioned that they found the best elements for Double Indemnity were held by the BFI. Obviously he didn't go into detail as the title had yet to be announced.
Are we to infer from that statement that the elements used for this restoration are different than those used for the Universal Blu-ray? If that's the case, has anything been said about how they might differ in quality?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Are we to infer from that statement that the elements used for this restoration are different than those used for the Universal Blu-ray? If that's the case, has anything been said about how they might differ in quality?
I'm thinking it's a more recent 4K digital restoration/scan than whatever was used for the 2014 Blu-ray.

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If that's the case, has anything been said about how they might differ in quality?
As Robert pointed out above me, the press release says it is a new 4K digital restoration. Of course, Criterion obviously wants to make their edition sound nice in order to encourage purchases. However, I'm also inclined to take Criterion at their word here. They seem like pretty straight shooters to me.

I'm sure reviewers who have the previous Universal disc will compare them when the new discs are sent out for review.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
I have it on Blu-Ray. But the more I think about this.
I really do like the movie. It's A-1. I will really look at the price. If it's not out of this word, as some are. I may just pick it up The week it comes out. if not the very day?
And I bet it would look cool on the 55" 4K Tv.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I have it on Blu-Ray. But the more I think about this.
I really do like the movie. It's A-1. I will really look at the price. If it's not out of this word, as some are. I may just pick it up The week it comes out. if not the very day?
And I bet it would look cool on the 55" 4K Tv.

I could be wrong, but I would think there shouldn't be nearly enough to gain (PQ-wise) over the old BD on a 55" display from "normal" viewing distances. Certainly not nearly enough to rush to get it instead of waiting for the usual sales a couple months later...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harleyquinn
Recent bookmarks