Trancas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eric
I appreciate your thoughtful input. (But I can't help but say this)....how could an image derived from vintage fine grains, with 2 generations of film grain baked in; end up virtually grainless, without a lot of grain and fine-detail filtering getting applied?
"Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg consulted on the restoration": are they the reason the filtering was turned on?
After viewing the restoration did they say "Too damn grainy! Do something to cut the grain!" And no one on the team dared to cross them?:blink:

Scarlet Empress:
Look at this 1935 screenshot from a 4k scan from "35mm prints held by the UCLA Film & Television Archive."
This is crispy. Destry looks soggy.
Marlene.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I appreciate your thoughtful input. (But I can't help but say this)....how could an image derived from vintage fine grains, with 2 generations of film grain baked in; end up virtually grainless, without a lot of grain and fine-detail filtering getting applied?
"Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg consulted on the restoration": are they the reason the filtering was turned on?
After viewing the restoration did they say "Too damn grainy! Do something to cut the grain!" And no one on the team dared to cross them?:blink:

Scarlet Empress:
Look at this 1935 screenshot from a 4k scan from "35mm prints held by the UCLA Film & Television Archive."
This is crispy. Destry looks soggy.
View attachment 71316
Don't get me started on screenshots! When I watched the movie, I did so while the video is in motion and what I saw this morning was very pleasing to my eyes. After watching the Blu-ray, I'm sure other people will post their thoughts so we'll see what they have to say about it. All I can say is, if you don't like how it appears with those screen captures then don't buy it.

Reactions: ScottHM

Trancas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eric
Don't get me started on screenshots! When I watched the movie, I did so while the video is in motion and what I saw this morning was very pleasing to my eyes. I'm sure other people will post their thoughts, after watching the Blu-ray, some will agree with me and some will probably disagree with me. All I can say is, if don't like how it appears with those screen captures then don't buy it.
I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be annoying (I know that I am). But I literally couldn't help posting that. I appreciate all that you do here.
The thing is I just love this movie.

And maybe the quarantine is getting to me....

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be annoying (I know that I am). But I literally couldn't help posting that. I appreciate all that you do here.
The thing is I just love this movie.
You're not annoying me as I just gave you my honest thoughts after watching the movie in its entirety. It's a personal favorite movie of mine too and I seriously doubt we'll see another physical disc release of it. Like I stated, it should be interesting to read other people's thoughts after they watch this Blu-ray.

Trancas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eric
You're not annoying me as I just gave you my honest thoughts after watching the movie in its entirety. It's a personal favorite movie of mine too and I seriously doubt we'll see another physical disc release of it. Like I stated, it should be interesting to read other people's thoughts after they watch this Blu-ray.
True.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I also watched the new Criterion, and it looked wonderful.

I then did some back and forth comparisons between the Koch and the Criterion. Both looked good, but different.

The Koch looked a bit sharper, but also grainier. I don’t know if that was natural or due to either Contrast or Sharpness being increased.

in regards to grain, my own personal take is that if grain is overtly noticeable, it’s not right. I’ve never noticed grain in the theater (unless it was intended like Argo or a Tarantino). So, if I notice it at home, that means it looks different than I would have seen in a theater.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Was going to order today (Amazon prime member), and the arrival date shows as May 10th!

No thanks, Amazon

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
By the way, a couple of years ago I bought the HD digital on iTunes for $4.99 and it looks like that HD stream hasn't been updated as it has the same blemishes as before.

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
From the screenshots the German disc looks like an older scan that's had a little bit too much contrast and sharpening applied. I'm just concerned that Criterion's Destry will have the digitally scrubbed appearance of their Children of Paradise and Earrings of Madame .....
I realize that Criterion has been supplied with these 3 "restorations" and unlike most of their output, they probably haven't had much to do with the final result.
I would agree with that description. I own neither of the blurays, but I think the appearance of 'grain' and extra detail on the Koch is more due to sharpening, contrast boosting and poor encoding. I think the level of detail is about the same for both. The Criterion doesn't look waxy or smeary (like the dreadful Madame de disc that they released). I'm looking forward to seeing it in motion.

Trancas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eric
I would agree with that description. I own neither of the blurays, but I think the appearance of 'grain' and extra detail on the Koch is more due to sharpening, contrast boosting and poor encoding. I think the level of detail is about the same for both. The Criterion doesn't look waxy or smeary (like the dreadful Madame de disc that they released). I'm looking forward to seeing it in motion.
Robert Crawford and you are right. The screen shots here look great; the grain's been somewhat reduced, but it's still there:
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Destry-Rides-Again-Blu-ray/131724/#Review

20803_2_1080p.jpg
It seems like they've given the contrast a rich, full scale with a creamy bloom, which the slightly softened grain enhances.

20803_3_1080p.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: timk1041

Trancas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eric
If Dr. Svet says so then it must be true.:lol:
I want the movie, so I'm trying to convince myself it's soft as a peach for a reason. Beaver took the worst screen shots to prove that it's mush. Svet took the better balanced screen shots to say otherwise. I'm flexible! :rolleyes:
Enhanced creamy bloom makes me feel better than soggy, not crisp:chatter:
I kind of think Svet's "Fabulous restoration" may be a little over the top.....

Trancas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eric

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched the Criterion Blu-ray tonight, and a good time was had by all (which at my house means me). Beautiful transfer. I watched Smith and Dewey's interviews/bonus featurettes and enjoyed both immensely.

Reactions: dpippel

Clayking38

Agent
Real Name
Rich
I was disappointed. I thought the picture was soft, not much better than what was aired on cable three years ago.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
els