What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Criterion's first 4k UHD releases (1 Viewer)

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Actually I would rather have Criterion include a digital copy w all future blu-rays instead of buying 4K retreads. But I suppose that would cut into their streaming service and now that I think of it this announcement would make me want to try out their service if these stream in 4K- I know streaming’s not as good a physical disc but the diff is negligible.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yes, it would be nice if they include digital copies going forward. And I doubt it'd hurt their dedicated streaming channel much, if at all. Afterall, that service doesn't permanently keep all their titles, but rotates them along w/ fairly substantial other titles (not released on disc by them) over time.

I'm guessing most who buy their discs would usually watch the discs, not stream unless outside their main HT setup. IF they stream (in their main HT), it's usually for something they don't want to own on disc (at least not for $20-plus each) or want to avoid blindbuying. Well, that's me anyway...

Maybe they'll have more $5 sales on Apple/iTunes like a couple weeks back going forward, and that would be nice... although those DCs don't come w/ the extras...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Now, we want digital codes! Hell, we'll be fortunate enough, if they stream these titles in 4K on The Criterion Channel which I'm not expecting to happen any time soon, but you never know as the home video market is fluid.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Digital copies are tough for Criterion because they license rather than own most of their releases, and the digital license is separate from the physical one. Even a license to put a movie on the Criterion Channel is different from the one you need to make a disc and different from the one you need to give a digital copy code.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Digital copies are tough for Criterion because they license rather than own most of their releases, and the digital license is separate from the physical one. Even a license to put a movie on the Criterion Channel is different from the one you need to make a disc and different from the one you need to give a digital copy code.
Veddy interesting. Thanks!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Heh... to be clear, I'm just agreeing inclusion of digital copies would be nice-to-have, not something I'd prioritize/demand or anything like that. No idea how much Noel actually wants that...

However, maybe inclusion of DC instead of BD in the 4K releases might make good sense. Too bad it's probably not so feasible for Criterion to give us an option between 4K+BD and 4K+DC instead of only one or the other...

_Man_

Real Name
James
Wonder what the MSRP will be? A bit surprised that wasn't mentioned.

If these release in NOV during the usual BN sale, I wonder if they've be excluded for some reason though no Criterion has ever been in the past.

I'm gonna need a bigger House
Barnes and Noble doesn't stock 4K movies, at least my local B&N doesn't, and I can't recall seeing 4K discs on line at B&N either. For a half price Criterion, I suspect we'll have to wait for one of those rare Criterion pop-up sales.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Barnes and Noble doesn't stock 4K movies, at least my local B&N doesn't, and I can't recall seeing 4K discs on line at B&N either. For a half price Criterion, I suspect we'll have to wait for one of those rare Criterion pop-up sales.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Never mind.

Don't start making a point but get up to eat food before posting it because others will make the point first. :)
kathy bates GIF by Team Coco
;)

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
Question for Robert Harris: Do the original three Technicolor negatives for THE RED SHOES still exist, and is there even the slightest chance that Criterion can utilize the same three-strip recombining process that has resulted in recent Warners Archives Blu-ray miracles like THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH AND ESSEX, TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALL GAME, etc.? I mean, while it's wonderful to have the Doris Day intro-vehicle ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS (1948) in true three-strip Technicolor, isn't an international classic like THE RED SHOES (also 1948) worthy of the same treatment, especially for the primo 4K UHD format?

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Why? It's a mono film, and any Atmos track would likely only simulate how a mono film sounds in a movie theatre. Sounds like asking for 4K UHD on a 16mm title.
Apple Records has been working on Atmos remixes for the Beatles albums and if it had multi-track stems like most of their albums (thank goodness their engineer was forward thinking!) then I would bet they would try Atmos on this release. The ones with Atmos that have made it to the public so far sound sublime.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
I know that I'm heading into unpopular opinion territory, but I would have preferred to have Criterion completely ignore the 4K market and instead focus its time and territory into titles that either need blu-ray releases or have been altogether ignored during the DVD/blu era. The powers-that-be feel differently though, and for their sake I hope that they're successful as perhaps this will allow some of the more esoteric titles to come to fruition. Still, I'd far more prefer to see a title like The Wedding March finally get its first blu/DVD release than for the war horses get 4K retreads. I'm just not a part of this market, and that's ok.
You're heading into REALLY unpopular territory with that. If they have an "ignored" title, they should jump right to a 4k release. Maybe do a "combo" pack.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
My worry, besides price, is whether Criterion can get their act together and provide us with high quality and high bitrate encodes, and not Studio Canal levels of crap. Criterion's Blu-ray's can be pretty spotty.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Nope. Not on disc and there is only a teeny tiny amount of native 8k or 8k equivalent large format film content anyway. Higher quality 4k is what we need. 8k for the home is marketing B.S. I've seen the demos.

Right. There won't be 8k discs. 4k is going to be the last disc format. That's my best assumption.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks