What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Criterion's first 4k UHD releases (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Citizen Kane, Mul

This the great Mullholland Drive. Big difference!
….. not the dreary Mullholland Falls.
Yeah, I think you can make an argument for Mulholland Dr. being the best movie from this century. I'd imagine it will do quite well for Criterion or I'm hoping it does if only so they release all of their David Lynch movies on UHD.
I was never a fan of this movie for some strange reason. Perhaps, it isn't strange as I'm not generally a fan of David Lynch movies.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm aware, but they are more "enhanced mono" than stereo. Like I described, what a mono track would sound like in a theatre with the appropriate reverb, etc.

That's how the Miramax 5.1 track sounds, but the Criterion 5.1 definitely has real separation.

For example, during "I Should Have Known Better" you can hear Paul's dialogue at the beginning of the scene subtly shift from left to right as he walks across. Surround speakers have subtle vocal reverb and background effects of the train. During the song itself, it has a pleasing balanced stereo sound up front with the rear speakers providing reverb again. The stereo track does seem to keep the sound more towards monaural outside the songs and score, though.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I wonder if Criterion will revisit some of their DNR-ed flubs like Children of Paradise and The Earrings of Madame de...? Beauty and the Beast and The Leopard could also use fresher scans.
I'm also wondering if they can release films in 4k that other companies currently have a blu ray license for (do those licenses extend to UHD)? Like Kino's Under Capricorn - imagine a 4k release sourced from the Technicolor negatives.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Have my Criterion lasers so the new release will be welcomed to my collection. View attachment 108363

I got rid of most of my laserdiscs once I had upgraded them to better editions, but I hung onto that Citizen Kane in the silver box. I still remember staying up that night in 1985 to watch it the movie and then go through the Robert Carringer visual essay (which I hope makes it in some form to the new version).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This is great news, I know many here has expressed a desire to see 4K material from Criterion. I’m thinking now, I have many titles if not all that I have from Criterion on blu ray that will need to be upgraded! Of course this is the game we chose to play in this hobby. New formats means double/triple or more dipping.

I doubt MGM/Warner would allow Criterion to revisit 2001: A Space Odyssey. I have the original Criterion laserdisc of 2001. It would be interesting if that title is revisited. I have the Criterion laserdisc of Bladerunner and Forbidden Planet too. It would be neat to see a Criterion 4K Forbidden Planet.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Based entirely on the difference between the prices of DVDs and Blu-ray, I'm guessing the UHDs will be $50 MSRP.
No...I'm guessing a fairly moderate price increase, based upon the rest of the UHD market. They would be foolish to price themselves out of the marketplace. We won't be getting Arrow-style limited editions bulging with extras (except for occasions like 'Brazil', if they still hold the rights).

Mark VH

Second Unit
I’ll be the first to admit to being dead wrong on this - always thought Criterion would eventually phase out physical media and focus on their streaming offerings rather than commit to a new (and niche) format. They still might ultimately end up there but kudos to them for continuing to try to serve the collectors’ market. Great lineup of films, too (I’ll give the “Citizen Kane is boring” dude the benefit of the doubt and assume he’s joking).

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I wonder if Criterion will revisit some of their DNR-ed flubs like Children of Paradise and The Earrings of Madame de...? Beauty and the Beast and The Leopard could also use fresher scans.

1. Those are Pathe and Gaumont's flubs not Criterion's. It will be up to those studios to correct them.

2. Beauty and the Beast actually does have a fresher transfer used for the BFI blu-ray. Believe it or not, it looks worse than the Criterion and the film itself is pretty much brickwalled at sub-2k like a lot of pre-1950 French cinema.

3. There is a more recent scan of The Leopard. It was supervised by the DOP for the Film Foundation and (like the Criterion and BFI releases) is in the wrong aspect ratio.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
No...I'm guessing a fairly moderate price increase, based upon the rest of the UHD market. They would be foolish to price themselves out of the marketplace. We won't be getting Arrow-style limited editions bulging with extras (except for occasions like 'Brazil', if they still hold the rights).
With their Blu-rays having a $40 MSRP, I can't see any way that the UHDs aren't at least $50 but I guess $45 is possible.

I guess we'll know for sure on Monday when they announce the November titles.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Other than 'The Straight Story' I'm not really a fan of David Lynch films. But I saw Mulholland Drive when it was released and thought it was so weird that I might give it a try again in 4K. Congratulations to Criterion for making such a positive decision in the world of home video. I will be purchasing lesser known titles to me as much as possible, and hope some favorites they have (many) make it to 4K. Those will be day one purchases for me.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I don’t think I’ll be buying any of these cause I don’t see the visual gain being that much better w the exception of The Red Shoes.

But make available Barry Lyndon, The Last Emperor, It’s a Mad Mad etc World and Heaven’s Gate and I’ll pay right now!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks