What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Criterion's first 4k UHD releases (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm not 4K equipped right now, but I'm glad to see Criterion embracing the format for those who are.

I'm pretty sure that the existing Blu-ray disc The Red Shoes was my first Criterion purchase.

Not that there's anything wrong with the existing one, but I wonder if the Blu-ray disc included in the 4K combo pack will feature a new transfer? If there is a significant upgrade made to the Blu-ray disc, I would consider a double dip. Otherwise, I would probably only buy again if I ever actually upgrade to 4K. But it is wonderful news for those who have the format right now are beginning to get titles like this from Criterion.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I'm thrilled that Criterion is finally going to release 4K discs. I'm disappointed that one of their first 4K films is one of the most overrated and boring films in cinema history. Citizen Kane?!? Ugh! What will they choose next to bore us, 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Mark
And the kvetching begins...

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Have my Criterion lasers so the new release will be welcomed to my collection.
IMG_1004.JPG

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Kane should be the first 4K they release.
I remember buying Laser disc sets for $125+ Probably from Ken Krane’s but I’m not doing that anymore.
Not sure I’d pay half that for any movie, any version.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Based entirely on the difference between the prices of DVDs and Blu-ray, I'm guessing the UHDs will be $50 MSRP.

That was my first guess though for the most part Criterion DVD and BD were usually the same price even in the combo packs though I almost skipped Criterion BD completely and went from LD to BD -- I think I had 6-8 of the DVDs

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Very glad that Criterion finally are taking the plunge! And not just with one or two titles either. Excellent slate of movies for their first release - none have previously had a UHD release elsewhere in the world and The Piano has never been part of the Criterion Collection before. I would expect retail prices at around $50 - in same ballpark as other boutique publishers. A lot of Criterion's early blu-ray releases look poor projected onto a large screen by today's very high standards. Out of their first bunch of blu-rays released in 2008, only The Third Man doesn't look bad.
  • The Third Man (1949)
  • The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976)
  • The Last Emperor (1987)
  • Chungking Express (1994)
  • Bottle Rocket (1996)
Hopefully, their learning curve for UHD won't be as steep as for blu-ray, as the UHD format is now five years old and there are many excellent, reference quality releases out there. It will be interesting to see if they are going to remaster many of their older catalogue for UHD.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Amazing first slate of UHD releases. I'm in for Citizen Kane, The Red Shoes, A Hard Day's Night, and Mulholland Dr. for sure.

Hopefully these are all great sellers, so Criterion can dip into some of the more adventurous films that may not be as popular, but would absolutely benefit from 4K like Tati's Playtime or Olivier's Richard III.
Why? It's a mono film, and any Atmos track would likely only simulate how a mono film sounds in a movie theatre. Sounds like asking for 4K UHD on a 16mm title.
The 2014 Blu-ray features remixed stereo and 5.1 tracks supervised by Giles Martin in addition to a monaural mix (which seems to be a reconstruction with Richard Lester's blessing without tampering done in 1964).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
This the great Mullholland Drive. Big difference!
….. not the dreary Mullholland Falls.
Yeah, I think you can make an argument for Mulholland Dr. being the best movie from this century. I'd imagine it will do quite well for Criterion or I'm hoping it does if only so they release all of their David Lynch movies on UHD.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil

THE CRITERION COLLECTION
AUGUST 11, 2021​

Our First 4K Ultra HD Releases

We’re thrilled to announce Criterion’s first 4K Ultra HD releases, a six-film slate that includes Citizen Kane, Menace II Society, The Piano, Mulholland Dr., The Red Shoes, andA Hard Day’s Night. The first of these editions and their special features will be detailed in our November 2021 announcement next week, with others to follow in subsequent months.

The most dazzling debut in cinema history, Orson Welles’s Citizen Kane was Criterion’s first laserdisc release 37 years ago. It now rejoins the library after a long absence, making its first appearance in 4K Ultra HD along with Allen and Albert Hughes’s riveting breakthrough Menace II Society; Jane Campion’s Academy Award–winning The Piano,starring Holly Hunter and Anna Paquin in her breakout role; David Lynch’s Mulholland Dr., a tale of love and jealousy in the city of dreams; Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger’s singular Technicolor fantasia The Red Shoes; and Richard Lester’s timeless movie musical A Hard Day’s Night, which brought the Beatles’ revolutionary talent and irreverent humor to the big screen.

Each title will be available in a 4K UHD+Blu-ray combo pack including a 4K UHD disc of the feature film as well as the film and its special features on Blu-ray. Select films will be presented in Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos. Stay tuned for more details in our November announcement!​
I am glad to see Criterion finally get on board with UHD releases. I will have to wait on pricing before I decide if I will be upgrading, though. I already own their BD's of Mulholland Drive, The Red Shoes and A Hard Day's Night -- plus I have the Warner 70th Anniversary BD of Citizen Kane.
I’m in it for Kane, Red Shoes, Hard Days Night and The Piano. Shoes should look spectacular. I hope Kane has all the extras from the blu-ray release.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The 2014 Blu-ray features remixed stereo and 5.1 tracks supervised by Giles Martin in addition to a monaural mix (which seems to be a reconstruction with Richard Lester's blessing without tampering done in 1964).
I'm aware, but they are more "enhanced mono" than stereo. Like I described, what a mono track would sound like in a theatre with the appropriate reverb, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks