What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Criterion's first 4k UHD releases (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

THE CRITERION COLLECTION
AUGUST 11, 2021​

Our First 4K Ultra HD Releases

We’re thrilled to announce Criterion’s first 4K Ultra HD releases, a six-film slate that includes Citizen Kane, Menace II Society, The Piano, Mulholland Dr., The Red Shoes, andA Hard Day’s Night. The first of these editions and their special features will be detailed in our November 2021 announcement next week, with others to follow in subsequent months.

The most dazzling debut in cinema history, Orson Welles’s Citizen Kane was Criterion’s first laserdisc release 37 years ago. It now rejoins the library after a long absence, making its first appearance in 4K Ultra HD along with Allen and Albert Hughes’s riveting breakthrough Menace II Society; Jane Campion’s Academy Award–winning The Piano,starring Holly Hunter and Anna Paquin in her breakout role; David Lynch’s Mulholland Dr., a tale of love and jealousy in the city of dreams; Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger’s singular Technicolor fantasia The Red Shoes; and Richard Lester’s timeless movie musical A Hard Day’s Night, which brought the Beatles’ revolutionary talent and irreverent humor to the big screen.

Each title will be available in a 4K UHD+Blu-ray combo pack including a 4K UHD disc of the feature film as well as the film and its special features on Blu-ray. Select films will be presented in Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos. Stay tuned for more details in our November announcement!​

seangood79

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Even better news for me, only The Red Shoes would be a double dip, and it being one of my to 5 favorite movies, I'd happily take that dip.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking forward to CItizen Kane and Mulholland Dr. I get the feeling that these are going to be expensive enough that I won't be rebuying A Hard Day's Night.

Now all the people can stop asking why Criterion isn't releasing UHDs and switch over to complaining that they aren't releasing every title each month on UHD while also griping that they aren't re-releasing their entire catalog fast enough.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm thrilled that Criterion is finally going to release 4K discs. I'm disappointed that one of their first 4K films is one of the most overrated and boring films in cinema history. Citizen Kane?!? Ugh! What will they choose next to bore us, 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Mark
Hey now...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm thrilled that Criterion is finally going to release 4K discs. I'm disappointed that one of their first 4K films is one of the most overrated and boring films in cinema history. Citizen Kane?!? Ugh! What will they choose next to bore us, 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Mark
Whatever one's thoughts on Citizen Kane, it is without a doubt going to be their best-selling UHD out of the titles they've announced. It'll be a new title for them (not counting the laserdisc from decades ago) and it's one of the most famous classic movies ever made. If they're moving into UHD, they'd be crazy to not release Citizen Kane.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks