What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Citizen Kane (1941) (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This is Criterion we're talking about here. How many among us buy Criterion titles at full MSRP? Very few I'd wager. We wait for the inevitable Criterion or B&N 50% off sale and make our purchases at a more agreeable price point. From my perspective, I don't see why their 4K prices should be a surprise. They're about what I expected them to be.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
They sure got us consumers pegged.
Well, Arrow's collector's editions are just that - a limited run of the title with lots of goodies like exclusive extras and packaging, posters, lobby cards, etc. There's a large enough segment of the fan base for most of the films they've released in this way to sell out the run, and yay for that. As Travis mentioned, once the CE has sold out, Arrow will typically release a "regular" edition for a lower price. I'm all for it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Discs in general are already a niche market. Catalog titles on disc are a niche within a niche. Catalog titles on Blu-ray are an even smaller niche, and on UHD is even smaller than that. Market share for these formats won’t grow; these are never going to be mass market consumer goods. Which simply means that for the format to be viable with a smaller group of buyers, it’s going to cost more. I don’t see anything controversial about that. I think it’s smart to charge prices that reflect the actual costs when working with low volume products, rather than setting prices low and hoping to make it for it with volume that never happens, ultimately putting the entire product line in jeopardy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, Arrow's collector's editions are just that - a limited run of the title with lots of goodies like exclusive extras and packaging, posters, lobby cards, etc. There's a large enough segment of the fan base for most of the films they've released in this way to sell out the run, and yay for that. As Travis mentioned, once the CE has sold out, Arrow will typically release a "regular" edition for a lower price. I'm all for it.
Well, I'm sure Ebay has something to do with it too.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I am not aware of what the other boutique labels are selling 4k titles for as I generally don’t buy those. I know I have imported THE ELEPHANT MAN on 4k from (I believe) Studio Canal and it wasn’t THAT expensive.
I believe that you purchased the UHD The Elephant Man (with the limited edition cardboard pop-up cutout) at about the same time as I did (April 2020) and I paid $40 + shipping and customs fees for it. Arrow Video charge $50 and above for their special limited editions and about $40 for the single disc versions. UHD are a luxury item.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Discs in general are already a niche market. Catalog titles on disc are a niche within a niche. Catalog titles on Blu-ray are an even smaller niche, and on UHD is even smaller than that. Market share for these formats won’t grow; these are never going to be mass market consumer goods. Which simply means that for the format to be viable with a smaller group of buyers, it’s going to cost more. I don’t see anything controversial about that. I think it’s smart to charge prices that reflect the actual costs when working with low volume products, rather than setting prices low and hoping to make it for it with volume that never happens, ultimately putting the entire product line in jeopardy.
I don't think anybody is saying its controversial, but I have a hard time thinking they're not making a good profit on this pricing.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I don't think anybody is saying its controversial, but I have a hard time thinking they're not making a good profit on this pricing.
I hope they ARE making a good profit. If they don't, they won't be around much longer. Selling physical media is a tough business with a dwindling market.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
The extras look amazing. So I’m thinking of getting for those on Blu-ray. I haven’t moved to UHD and most likely will not, but so since it’s a combo release, it’s a possible purchase.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
The cover art is probably one of the worse since Tom Jones. A giant K against a black background doesn't sell me on one of the greatest films of all time. The giant K looks more like the poster for Malcom X.

1629142494547.png

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The artwork reminds me of Special K cereal !! :D
I guess the floodgates are opening and all key movies are subject to UHD. Key movie are also subject to debate :)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The extras look amazing. So I’m thinking of getting for those on Blu-ray. I haven’t moved to UHD and most likely will not, but so since it’s a combo release, it’s a possible purchase.
There's a cheaper tier without the 4k disc if you don't have a need for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks