1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Bull Durham (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    936_BD_box_348x490_original.

Former minor leaguer Ron Shelton hit a grand slam with his directorial debut, one of the most revered sports movies of all time. Durham Bulls devotee Annie Savoy (Susan Sarandon)—who every year takes a new player under her wing (and into her bed)—has singled out the loose-cannon pitching prospect Nuke LaLoosh (Tim Robbins), a big-league talent with a rock-bottom maturity level. But she’s unable to shake Crash Davis (Kevin Costner), the veteran catcher brought in to give Nuke some on-the-field seasoning. A breakthrough film for all three of its stars and an Oscar nominee for Shelton’s highly quotable screenplay, Bull Durham is a freewheeling hymn to wisdom, experience, and America’s pastime, tipping its cap to all those who grind it out for love of the game.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION:

• New, restored 4K digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Ron Shelton, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
    • Alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack, presented in DTS‑HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
    • Two audio commentaries featuring Shelton and actors Kevin Costner and Tim Robbins
    • New conversation between Shelton and film critic Michael Sragow
    • Between the Lines: The Making of “Bull Durham,” a 2002 program featuring interviews with cast and crew, including Shelton, Costner, Robbins, and actor Susan Sarandon
    • The Greatest Show on Dirt, a 2008 appreciation of the film featuring former players, broadcasters, and sports-film aficionados
    • NBC Nightly News piece from 1993 on the final season of baseball at Durham Athletic Park, where Bull Durham takes place and was shot
    • Interview with Max Patkin, known as the Clown Prince of Baseball, from a 1991 episode of NBC’s Today
    • Trailer
    • PLUS: Excerpts from a 1989 piece by longtime New Yorker baseball writer Roger Angell, with new comments from the author

• United States
      • 108 minutes
      • Color
      • 1.85:1
      • English
      • Spine #936

July 10, 2018

PMF likes this.
  2. Message #2 of 16 Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2018
    Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

3. titch

titch Second Unit

Kevin Oppegaard
    This shows that Criterion is accessing - or commissioning - 4K digital remasters from the Orion/MGM catalogue. Criterion originally had Silence Of The Lambs from laserdisc days, but they've never previously had Bull Durham. Even a European, such as myself, who doesn't have a clue about baseball, likes Bull Durham. I used to dream of Susan Sarandon back in the '80's....

PMF and Vegas 1 like this.
  4. bujaki

bujaki Cinematographer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Who didn't?

PMF likes this.
  5. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Wasn't there a thread here that discussed potential color palette changes to this Criterion release?

I swear I read that discussion but I can't find it via the site's search...

6. David Norman

David Norman Producer

I think it was several pages worth of one of the Midnight Cowboy threads.

7. Message #7 of 16 Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    Colin Jacobson

I'll check - thanks!

Surprised there's no new discussion of "Bull Durham" now that it's been out for a week, though - unless the post-street discussion is in one of those "MC" threads, too.

Edit: I looked and found a discussion of a "BD" discussion in a "MC" thread but no actual discussion. I think they referred to a thread on a different site.

Weird - maybe I remembered the discussion of the discussion I thought I read a discussion of the "BD" disc here!

Or maybe there was a discussion that got deleted!

Does anyone here have the BD and want to comment?

8. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    I don't have it as I've never seen the film, but the thread you refer to was never on this site, it was on the site you know it was on, where every release has been tealed. Why bring that here? I trust none of their ridiculous screen caps, but I wouldn't be able to comment as I've no history with the film, other than knowing what films of the era looked like, color-wise. I suspect the Blu-ray is absolutely right, just as Midnight Cowboy was.

9. Colin Jacobson

I "brought that here" because I thought we had a discussion of it on the HTF. I guess we didn't, but I'm not trying to start some "controversy" related to that "other site".

I'm genuinely curious to hear thoughts about the colors of "Bull Durham". I've not read anything on that "other site" but obviously was aware that some thought teal had been added to the Criterion.

And I'm one of them. I watched it yesterday and compared it to the prior BD. The colors seemed inconsistent - some scenes remained natural while others took on that "teal push".

It's rarely a strong emphasis - except for the scene where the Bulls get to their motel on a road trip. That one stood out as "strongly teal".

The scene in which Annie first invites Crash and Nuke to her house also comes with more of a green impression. On the old BD, the white walls look... white. Now they have a mild green tone.

But most of the movie looks fairly normal. In a lot of scenes, the colors look slightly more green than they used to - like in shirts - but it's a minor difference and one that could be explained by the general superiority of the transfer.

And as noted, some scenes seem virtually identical in terms of colors. The one in which the players have the long debate on the mound showed no signs of "teal push" - the blues looked blue, and the whites looked white.

The transfer overall is an obvious improvement over the prior release. Sharpness seems clearly superior, it lacks the old disc's print flaws and it just seems more appealing in general. I'm ditching my old BD without any hesitation - it's not a terrible image but it's mediocre at best.

Is it possible that the Criterion better represents the colors as intended? Sure, but it's a weird release because of the inconsistencies.

I agreed with you on "Midnight Cowboy" - I thought that kerfuffle was off-base and there was no "teal push". I don't see teal everywhere I look - well, I see it in most modern movies because most modern movies are teal and orange, but I don't accuse every old movie I see of being T&O. I watched the Criterion "Sex, Lies and Videotape" and didn't get any sense of changed colors there.

But I'm less sure about "BD". I came here because I was curious to get others' opinions.

I'm kinda surprised there's been no chit-chat about the disc period - in terms of colors or anything!

So I'm hoping others who've seen the Criterion "BD" will chime in. Love the movie, feel happy with the BD overall, would like to know impressions of the colors. Like I said, the Criterion might well replicate the colors just as they looked in 1988 - that's the discussion I'm curious to hear...

10. Colin Jacobson

And BTW, you really should see the movie - it's great! It's a rare 80s movie that hasn't aged a day, and it's just as rich and amusing as it was 30 years ago.

I probably like it more than I did in 1988, honestly. I was 21 back then so I didn't connect to the themes of aging and developing that appear, whereas now that side seems more meaningful...

Tino and Paul Rossen like this.
  11. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    Shelton approved the transfer so if there is a teal push then its on him.

Also FYI, the Bull Durham review at Beaver was done by their new guy whom Tooze seems to have had a bit of argument over it with.

12. Colin Jacobson

To be clear, if the colors were altered from the original - and that remains an if - I wasn't blaming Criterion. I presented my observations without judgment of who to "blame"...

Meaning...?

13. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    What is "original?"

haineshisway likes this.
  14. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    The new guy went off the rails about the perceived teal push. Gary had to issue a retraction. Its the most bizarre comparison at Beaver I've ever read.

15. Colin Jacobson

"Original" meaning "colors that look the way they were meant to look in 1988"...

16. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Cinematographer

Jeff Adkins
    The most interesting thing about that comparison to me was the Motley Crue t-shirt. I owned that same shirt and the color on the old MGM blu-ray definitely matches the correct color of the shirt.

I'm not saying that this means the MGM disc is a correct representation of what the film looked like in original release, but the t-shirt color is certainly more accurate.