Press Release Criterion Press Release: Barry Lyndon (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 17, 2017.

1. 1 Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    897_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg
    Stanley Kubrick bent the conventions of the historical drama to his own will in this dazzling vision of brutal aristocracy, adapted from a novel by William Makepeace Thackeray. In picaresque detail, Barry Lyndon chronicles the adventures of an incorrigible trickster (Ryan O’Neal) whose opportunism takes him from an Irish farm to the battlefields of the Seven Years’ War and the parlors of high society. For the most sumptuously crafted film of his career, Kubrick recreated the decadent surfaces and intricate social codes of the period, evoking the light and texture of eighteenth-century painting with the help of pioneering cinematographic techniques and lavish costume and production design, all of which earned Academy Awards. The result is a masterpiece—a sardonic, devastating portrait of a vanishing world whose opulence conceals the moral vacancy at its heart.

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
    • Alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
    • New documentary featuring cast and crew interviews as well as excerpts from a 1976 audio interview with director Stanley Kubrick
    • New program about the film’s groundbreaking visuals, featuring focus puller Douglas Milsome and gaffer Lou Bogue, as well as excerpts from a 1980 interview with cinematographer John Alcott
    • New program about Academy Award–winning production designer Ken Adam with historian Sir Christopher Frayling
    • New interview with editor Anthony Lawson
    • French television interview from 1976 with Oscar-winning costume designer Ulla-Britt Söderlund
    • New interview with critic Michel Ciment
    • New interview with actor Leon Vitali about the 5.1 surround soundtrack, which he cosupervised
    • New piece analyzing the fine-art-inspired aesthetics of the film with art curator Adam Eaker
    • PLUS: An essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien and two pieces about the film from the March 1976 issue of American Cinematographer
      • United Kingdom, United States
      • 184 minutes
      • Color
      • 1.66:1
      • English
      • Spine #897

October 17, 2017

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

2. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I have always revered this film, Didn't bore me for a second...it's just too much eye candy to wear out its welcome for me. This, second only to 2001, would have been my choice for a Criterion release.

As of this writing, it isn't even posted on Criterion's own web site!

SAhmed and Douglas R like this.
  3. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    Where's the press release?

4. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    When Criterion actually announces the thing, which they haven't yet (the only reason we have a thread is because Amazon snitched).

5. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    Well this is interesting. The master used on the WB disc is fine; let's see what, if anything, Criterion can bring to the table in supplements.

6. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    1:66.1

7. KMR

KMR Stunt Coordinator

Kevin
    Wow, that looks a bit extreme. Yes, the picture should be a little narrower than the Warner release, but having it be 66.1 times as high as it is wide doesn't seem quite right to me... Maybe 1.66:1 instead? ;)

dana martin likes this.
  8. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    sometimes i get backwards, god that stretch would be worse than what The Big Country has

9. Derrick King

Derrick King Supporting Actor

JoeDoakes, SAhmed and TravisR like this.
  10. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    This was near the top of my list of most-wanted Criterion releases, especially after Warner's own very good, but sparse release. Even better that it'll be in 1.66:1 and have the original mono track. If Being There and Day for Night are any indication, I'd expect the original logo intact, too.

11. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    Looking forward to this one, for sure. I have the BD from Warners in the Kubrick set, but I'll take an upgrade on this title.

12. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    Same here. It has everything I'm looking for if I'm upgrading... a new scan, the correct aspect ratio, original audio, and new special features.

I'm sold on it.

13. Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner Screenwriter

Nice but I'll wait for the definitive UHD versions of all these new 4K scans. I'm done updating 1080p with more 1080p when it's based on a 4K master.