What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
As a kid I thought Grant was so over the top the whole thing was embarrassing. Having then seen it many years later I was like oh wow this is really a wonderful performance. And honestly it is such a huge part of the film that if it were too over the top it would not be held with such affection. Yes it is filled with wonderful character actors but Grant has the monumental task of keeping it all together and he pulls it off brilliantly. He is dazzling in this.
My experience is pretty much the exact opposite. I can't remember how old I was when I first saw it, but for some reason I've always remembered asking my mother what the deal was with "I'm the son of a sea-cook" and what made it a gag. I was young enough that her answer itself was euphemistic. At any rate, I remember it being really funny to me - at the time I was rolling on the floor regularly over things like Warner and Popeye cartoons, Laurel & Hardy, Sid Caesar, Jackie Gleason. I can't remember at what point in my adulthood it became painful to watch, but it has been ever since.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Grant did very few interviews in retrospect about his movies. He was a very private man.
He did however do in person "Evening With Cary Grant" shows around the country at the end of his life where he showed film clips from his movies and answered presubmitted questions from the audience. In fact he was taken ill right before one of these shows when he died. Certainly not an interview but it was him talking about his films. I don't know if any recordings , even just audio, have shown up on youtube.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
He did however do in person "Evening With Cary Grant" shows around the country at the end of his life where he showed film clips from his movies and answered presubmitted questions from the audience. In fact he was taken ill right before one of these shows when he died. Certainly not an interview but it was him talking about his films. I don't know if any recordings , even just audio, have shown up on youtube.

Here's the only expert from one of his shows.

roxy1927

Screenwriter
Real Name
vincent parisi
I always was interested in that. I wonder why he did it at that point in his life. He didn't need the money. Did he feel a certain pride that he wanted to share with his fans and meet the people who so adored his films? I wonder if he came to NY.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
He sort of got into it by accident, and discovered that he enjoyed being in a friendly crowd answering easy questions. It was a light, entertaining evening of frivolity and clever quips.

If he came to NY, it wouldn’t have been New York City. He made a point of avoiding major metropolitan areas, bringing the show to smaller cities and towns. He didn’t want the pressures of the New York/Los Angeles/etc media markets or do to it in front of jaded industry folks and audiences used to seeing stars as a matter of routine. He much preferred doing the show in front of small town audiences that weren’t used to seeing someone of Grant’s stature in person.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
He sort of got into it by accident, and discovered that he enjoyed being in a friendly crowd answering easy questions. It was a light, entertaining evening of frivolity and clever quips.

If he came to NY, it wouldn’t have been New York City. He made a point of avoiding major metropolitan areas, bringing the show to smaller cities and towns. He didn’t want the pressures of the New York/Los Angeles/etc media markets or do to it in front of jaded industry folks and audiences used to seeing stars as a matter of routine. He much preferred doing the show in front of small town audiences that weren’t used to seeing someone of Grant’s stature in person.
Great info! Amazing though since he lived at the famed Plaza Hotel for many years even while filming that famous Hitch film North By Northwest though at that time people must have let him be. A very dear friend who was a lead lawyer at Macy's whom we lost to soon told my Mom and I of her and her friend as teens following for blocks - he finally turned around and said 'yes I am Cary Grant'

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Great info! Amazing though since he lived at the famed Plaza Hotel for many years even while filming that famous Hitch film North By Northwest though at that time people must have let him be. A very dear friend who was a lead lawyer at Macy's whom we lost to soon told my Mom and I of her and her friend as teens following for blocks - he finally turned around and said 'yes I am Cary Grant'
this great article ends with this PS: If you liked this article, please share it! https://clickamericana.com/topics/home-garden/cary-grant-lives-movie-star-home-1940

Kent K H

Second Unit
I can understand why Grant did what he did since it seems like he was having a good time and he never felt properly "appreciated" by his Hollywood peers. It's just a shame they weren't preserved for posterity.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think something was in the cards regarding a taping, but his sudden death while preparing for one such show happened before they had finalized plans.

There is a book called “An Evening with Cary Grant” which was lovingly compiled with help from his family and includes a lot of anecdotes that he told at the different events - they had audio recordings and notes to pull from. It’s not the same as being there, of course, but it left me feeling warm and fuzzy and pleasant after reading it. These are the stories Grant enjoyed telling so don’t expect any deep medications on his films or the world but do expect to have a smile on your face as you go through it.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I wrote here recently that "Cary Grant is one of my alll-time favourite actors and I will here NOTHING against him."
The very wonderful Will Krupp, in his reply, forewent mentioning my appalling illiteracy.
I knew I wasn't well when I wrote it ... now tests have shown I again had Covid, second attack in less than three months.
I must be lucky.
Anyway, it seems to be disappearing. Didn't reach my chest. Just left fatigue and tiredness, and abominable back muscle pains which (hopefully) will be gone by the end September when we're due to get on a Singapore Airlines flight from Australia to visit three favourite places ... Rome, Palermo and Venice. Lots of Aperol and squid cooked in its own black ink in
Venice, suckling pig in Rome and just anything at all in delicious Sicily. And, hopefully, some bricks-and-mortar stores begging us to buy cheap Italian Blu rays and UHD!

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I wrote here recently that "Cary Grant is one of my alll-time favourite actors and I will here NOTHING against him."
The very wonderful Will Krupp, in his reply, forewent mentioning my appalling illiteracy.
I knew I wasn't well when I wrote it ... now tests have shown I again had Covid, second attack in less than three months.
I must be lucky.
Anyway, it seems to be disappearing. Didn't reach my chest. Just left fatigue and tiredness, and abominable back muscle pains which (hopefully) will be gone by the end September when we're due to get on a Singapore Airlines flight from Australia to visit three favourite places ... Rome, Palermo and Venice. Lots of Aperol and squid cooked in its own black ink in
Venice, suckling pig in Rome and just anything at all in delicious Sicily. And, hopefully, some bricks-and-mortar stores begging us to buy cheap Italian Blu rays and UHD!

Thank you for sharing your up coming itinerary with us

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I must be lucky.
What a wonderful trip to look forward to (well, I'd forgo the squid, but that's just me). Hopefully you'll be back up to full strength by then. Sorry for your abominable luck.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I must be lucky.

Oh, Anthony, I'm so sorry to hear you're under the weather, again! I've heard that "rebound" covid is an actual pheomenom some people are facing. Here's to a speedy recovery and a wonderful trip to look forward to!

Truth be told, I never even noticed your appalling illiteracy (though NOW that I see it..... :rolleyes:)

That WON'T however, stop me from using your "pull quote" as my new signature

Yours,
TVWWK ;)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I must be lucky.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery (twice stricken; rotten luck, mate) and I do hope you and your wife get to enjoy your Viaggio in Italia, having a much better time than Ingrid and George had.

Bert Greene

Supporting Actor

Yes, I attended one of those "Evening With Cary Grant" shows, in Austin, TX, around 1985. I don't recall any film clips at the event, however. But what I do specifically recall was an audience member asking Grant about "Arsenic and Old Lace," and he positively cringed at the mention of it, expressing his complete dissatisfaction with his performance.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Yes, I attended one of those "Evening With Cary Grant" shows, in Austin, TX, around 1985. I don't recall any film clips at the event, however. But what I do specifically recall was an audience member asking Grant about "Arsenic and Old Lace," and he positively cringed at the mention of it, expressing his complete dissatisfaction with his performance.
yikes --- did he make any comments ---- did anyone ask to about the bishops wife - grant though was always wonderful ----- this criterion release will be great

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Post removed for unnecessary political references towards a former actor/POTUS. Not cool! Last warning as any future such posts will be dealt with more harshly.

No need to explain just get back on subject matter.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
There were most likely no film clips. I never attended the show. My comment was based on what I remember reading or hearing about. I do also recall Grant commenting that he thought his performance in "Arsenic and Old Lace" was too manic.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I believe that "Famous Ladies of the Silver Screen" series that John Springer did with Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, and others did play an hour of selected film clips before the star came out to answer questions for an hour. Grant's show obviously did not repeat that formula.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcrouch1983
Recent bookmarks