What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Cary Grant is one of my alll-time favourite actors and I will here NOTHING against him.
Well , except that he is so so over-the-top in this and his mugging is truly painful. I'm so glad to hear that this was not his fault, but Capra's strict instruction.

Great film though, saved mainly by a sublime turn by Peter Lorre, and by the great Raymond Massey (father of Daniel Massey, star of one of the greatest television adaptations every made, 'Roads to Freedom', by Jean-Paul Sartre. Bringing out that BBC series on Blu ray would be a coup of the highest order.)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Cary Grant is one of my alll-time favourite actors and I will here NOTHING against him.
Well , except that he is so so over-the-top in this and his mugging is truly painful.

I agree on both counts. I'm still planning to buy it day one, but I share your pain!

ponset

Supporting Actor
Real Name
scott
1658392429458.png

cda1143

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
And after more than 23 years, the LAST snapper case in my collection can be disposed of!

I still have several dozen. Most of them are Warner discs, but there are more than a few Image releases.
Here, here. After this one, the last one I have is "Visions of Light", the magnificent 1994 documentary on cinematography. This truly great film is in serious need of a redo. I wish someone would take it on.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I again will reiterate my view that Grant is hilarious simply because he's reacting in an un-Cary Grant way to the craziness of what's going on. I don't care if he hated the performance.

Heck, I enjoyed how Grant worked in a nice subtle laugh unique to the film when Teddy calls Mr. Witherspoon up to get his bugle. As Witherspoon is standing at the bottom of the steps he hesitates for a second before he starts up and then Mortimer suddenly goes, "Don't charge!"

JoshZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Here, here. After this one, the last one I have is "Visions of Light", the magnificent 1994 documentary on cinematography. This truly great film is in serious need of a redo. I wish someone would take it on.

I remember seeing that in the theater. I imagine that the licensing rights to all the movie clips in the film must be a nightmare to untangle.

cda1143

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
I remember seeing that in the theater. I imagine that the licensing rights to all the movie clips in the film must be a nightmare to untangle.
The rights all got untangled for the DVD, which can still be found.

An updated release would be a big downstream sales boost for every film excerpted. Since buying the DVD in 2000, I've purchased (and repurchased) every disc iteration of every clip.

BTW I also saw it in the theater in 1994. I can still remember where I sat. It made quite an impression.

JoshZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
The rights all got untangled for the DVD, which can still be found.

Yes, but, depending on how the contracts were worded, the rights to use those clips in the VHS, Laserdisc, and DVD editions may not extend to subsequent home media formats.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

I love VISIONS OF LIGHT, and because it is an informative and, in and of itself, a beautifully composed documentary about cinematographers, and because the DVD is barely passable as an exploration of their work, a Blu-ray would seem like a no-brainer. Except...how many people know about it? Or care? I would be exceedingly jolted (but pleasantly so) if this ever happened.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Isn't Cary Grant's performance in GUNGA DIN (1939) similar to AAOL ? There's lots of mugging and over the top reactions and I love both films.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I love VISIONS OF LIGHT, and because it is an informative and, in and of itself, a beautifully composed documentary about cinematographers, and because the DVD is barely passable as an exploration of their work, a Blu-ray would seem like a no-brainer. Except...how many people know about it? Or care? I would be exceedingly jolted (but pleasantly so) if this ever happened.
I'd buy a Blu-ray disc without a moment's hesitation.

roxy1927

Screenwriter
Real Name
vincent parisi
As a kid I thought Grant was so over the top the whole thing was embarrassing. Having then seen it many years later I was like oh wow this is really a wonderful performance. And honestly it is such a huge part of the film that if it were too over the top it would not be held with such affection. Yes it is filled with wonderful character actors but Grant has the monumental task of keeping it all together and he pulls it off brilliantly. He is dazzling in this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcrouch1983
Recent bookmarks