Criterion Press Release: April Titles

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Monterey Pop (single-disc edition) - On a June weekend in 1967, at the height of the ³Summer of Love,² the Monterey International Pop Festival ushered in a new era of rock and roll and launched the careers of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and Otis Redding, as well as showcasing veteran performers such as Simon & Garfunkel, The Mamas & the Papas, The Who, and the extraordinary Ravi Shankar. Filmmaker D.A. Pennebaker captured it all, immortalizing those moments that have become legend. Now available for the first time as a single-disc release.

Cat: CC1623D
    Title: Monterey Pop
    UPC: 7-15515-01732-9
    SRP: $29.95
    Prebook date: 3/7/06
    Street date: 4/11/06

Jimi Plays Monterey/Shake! Otis at Monterey - Jimi Hendrix and Otis Redding arrived in California virtually unknown. Hendrix exploded at Monterey, flooring an unsuspecting audience with his maniacal six-string pyrotechnics. Redding, venerable star of Memphis¹ Stax record label, seduced the ³love crowd² in one of his best performances, which would be his last. Featuring the entire Monterey sets of these legendary musicians, and now available for the first time as a single-disc release.

Cat: CC1624D
    Title: Jimi Plays Monterey/Shake! Otis at Monterey
    UPC: 7-15515-01742-8

The 400 Blows - François Truffaut¹s first and most personal feature film, told from the perspective of the director¹s lifelong cinematic counterpart, Antoine Doinel. Sensitively recreating the trials of Truffaut¹s own childhood, The 400 Blows unsentimentally portrays aloof parents, oppressive teachers, petty crime, and a friendship that would last a lifetime. Available after a long absence as a single-disc release.

Cat: CC1625D
    Title: The 400 Blows
    UPC: 7-15515-01752-7

Elevator to the Gallows - In this, his debut feature film, director Louis Malle captures the hidden beauty of Jeanne Moreau, the brilliant camerawork of Henri Decaë, and the musical force of Miles Davis in a tightly constructed film noir experience that launched his and Moreau¹s careers.

Cat: CC1627D
    Title: Elevator to the Gallows
    UPC: 7-15515-01772-5
    SRP: $39.95
    Prebook date: 3/21/06
    Street date: 4/25/06

Harlan County, U.S.A. - In 1973, when the Brookside coal miners voted to join the United Mine Workers union, The Duke Power Company refused to sign the union¹s contact. The struggle that broke out between the company and the workers was brilliantly documented by Barbara Kopple in this Academy Award*winning documentary. With a haunting country and bluegrass soundtrack, Harlan County, U.S.A. is a powerful, sometimes heartbreaking record of the thirteen-month struggle between a community fighting to survive and a corporation dedicated to the bottom line.

Cat: HAR120
    Title: Harlan County, U.S.A.
    UPC: 0-37429-20832-8

Grey Gardens (two-disc edition) - Meet Big and Little Edie Beale‹high society dropouts, mother and daughter, reclusive cousins of Jackie O.‹thriving together amid the decay and disorder of their ramshackle East Hampton mansion. This intimate portrait has since become a cult classic and established Little Edie as a fashion icon and philosopher queen. Now available as a two-disc edition with newly available supplements.

Cat: CC1629D
    Title: Grey Gardens
    UPC: 7-15515-01792-3

ATTN CANADA: The 400 Blows is available for all Canada. Monterey Pop, Jimi Plays Monterey/Shake! Otis at Monterey, Elevator to the Gallows, Harlan County, U.S.A., and Grey Gardens are available in English Canada only.

2. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Great, they're finally offering the 400 Blows as a single disc release (hopefully anamorphic, like in the Antoine Doinel boxset).

3. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

HARLAN COUNTY USA, I never thought would get a DVD release, especially from Criterion, so that's a real good news! Hopefully they can put out more great documentaries from the 70's, like HELLSTROM CHRONICLES and MARJOE.

JIMI PLAYS MONTEREY seems like a odd choice for Criterion for me. Any thoughts?

4. TimJS

TimJS Second Unit

Am very excited about Harlan County, USA getting the CC treatment. May give Grey Gardens a chance too!

Walter, Marjoe is coming out from Docurama (2 disc SE) at the end of the month as posted in Documentary DVD Discussion Revised Edn: Includes Guide to Academy Award Docs thread.

Jimi Plays Monterey does seem like an odd choice to offer as a seperate title from the Complete Monterey Pop...but on the other hand hendrix is extremely popular with some people that might think the rest of Monterey Pop is a waste (not me).

Tim

5. Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack Second Unit

Sweet - I can replace my non-anamorphic 400 Blows (Not the original Criterion disc, but the Fox Lorber) without buying a bunch of other movies that I don't love.

6. MarkBourne

MarkBourne Stunt Coordinator

Criterion released The Complete Monterey Pop Festival as a three-disc set in 2003, comprised of Monterey Pop, Jimi Plays Monterey / Shake! Otis at Monterey, and a lengthy disc of outtakes. When I reviewed the set for DVD Journal, I was unfamiliar with anything in it despite being a lifelong fan of late-60s music. It immediately became a "desert island disc(s)" and remains so today.

Criterion's work on these delivers everything you'd expect from the label, so Jimi Plays Monterey is no exception. The commentary track alone is a worthwhile extra for a Hendrix fan. If the music is already your groove thing, these are recommended with enthusiasm.

7. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

great to hear about MARJOE getting a release, it really is a fantastic film, about a very fascinating individual and a look at gospel preacher/evangelists. Of course ironically Marjoe Gortner is best known today as the star of camp classics like STARCRASH and FOOD OF THE GODS!

8. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I've never seen Harlan County, but being that it takes place in Kentucky, I'll get it sight unseen.

9. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Oooooh, Elevator To The Gallows (a.k.a. Lift To The Scaffold, a.k.a. Ascenseur pour l'échafaud)... I've been enjoying the brilliant Miles Davis score for years, and now I can finally see the film.

10. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

I'll also be replacing my Fox Lorber 400 Blows with this release. It's about time.

-Scott

11. Jason Gordon

Jason Gordon Auditioning

A good friend turned me onto "Elevator to the Gallows" about a year and half ago.
    This is when I still lived in NY.
    I can't recall if it was a dvdr or vhs which he had.
    It's funny, I remember not wanting to watch a foreign film that evening.
    My friend was pretty insistent that I see it.
    Well, I'm glad that I did.

It's a very good film.
    Despite being almost fifty years old, it has a contemporary feel to it.

A few months ago it played at a revival house here in San Diego.
    When that happened, some friends and I speculated on that being a good sign for a imminent DVD release.
    I love it when we're right about such things.
    I'm looking forward to picking this up.

12. Will*B

Will*B Supporting Actor

Will
    Ascenseur pour l'échafaud!

Fantastic! This is the first time since Tirez sur le pianiste that I've been really happy about a CC press release.

I say this every time, but please release Pierrot le fou soon!!!

13. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Jason Gordon, wrote:

Elevator to the Gallows was re-released by Rialto Pictures and most of the Rialto re-releases are distributed on DVD by Criterion within 12-18 months of the theatrical screenings.

Here's their site: www.rialtopictures.com

14. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Some new covers showed up on Criterion's site:

[​IMG]

And this should also be out in April or May (late spring, anyway):

[​IMG]

15. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    it's been a Loooong time since they released any Ozu. Good to see some still rolling out.

Now if we could just get that Eisenstein silents set. :p

16. James_M

James_M Stunt Coordinator

That Late Spring title font looks so mismatched. I get the pine needle thing but it just comes across as a scratchy scribble. It looks like Hate Spring.

17. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Hmm. Where do you see an H? Looks like an H with its right half missing, yeah, but that doesn't make the word look like Hate.

18. Will*B

Will*B Supporting Actor

Will

I agree.

19. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes

I thought the same thing..

20. James_M

James_M Stunt Coordinator

The other half of the H is the left part of the A, making for a slanted H. The overextending needles are too close together. If you don't look at it directly, your mind will suggest it spells Hate.

It can be easily fixed by lowering the L. Here's a quick photoshop fix. It's subtle but makes a difference.
    [​IMG]