1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release Criterion Press Release: All About Eve (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I don't think anyone here is saying the existing transfer is going to be as good as the new Criterion transfer. It's just a question of whether it will be enough of an improvement to justify spending $20+ on the new release when the Fox BD is already quite good.

2. Message #42 of 71 Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Bruce, to be fair, I think people on this board forgot how long it's been since the first BD release came out until I posted about it.

Rob W and haineshisway like this.
  3. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Thank you!!! AAE is a dialogue driven film rather than a visual one. I'm sure the Criterion transfer is going to look spectacular but the "old" transfer is a good one. If it wasn't, I'd certainly be first in line to do back flips over the new Criterion release. So maybe AAE won't look as nice as the new Criterion transfer but the acting and writing will still be just as good.

4. Arthur Powell

Arthur Powell Second Unit

Arthur
    I'm also wondering how big of a display will be needed to be able to discern any meaningful difference between the two releases.

Thomas T likes this.
  5. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    I don't know - everyone thought the first Some Like It Hot Blu was "fine." And then did this same thing when Criterion announced it. And the difference was astonishing, to say the least. And I would disagree with the other poster about the visual aspects of All About Eve - it is great visually - just simple and effective, which is what any movie should strive for. But, everyone will do what they will and that's all fine.

bubuwest likes this.
  6. Arthur Powell

Arthur
    On the flip side, we have the updated blu-ray of Casablanca which was taken from a newer master, but the effective difference between the two seems to be marginal. Since I don't even like "All About Eve" (I know - heresy), I really have no stake in this release, but I will be interested in reading the inevitable reviews and comparisons.

7. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Screenwriter

Anthony
    I'll stick with my existing digibook Blu ray as there are too many other prime picks on the horizon ... great though All About Eve is, my Blu ray will suffice.

8. commander richardson

commander richardson Second Unit

martyn

Everybody must buy the Criterion : All About Eve is one of b est movies ever of its type and i am so excited about this new release anyone not buying it I might just even buy it for them myself for a Christmas present....

9. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    I have learned long ago never to say never, especially when it come to a shiny, sparkly new version of one of my favorite movies. I held off on buying the Criterion version of REBECCA for a long time because I was sure it looked as good as it was going to on blu-ray already, but I eventually succumbed. My willpower is nil when it comes to worthy upgrades so I have a feeling I will wind up "needing" this once the reviews hit.

AnthonyClarke, B-ROLL and JohnMor like this.
  10. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    Yes, I was someone who listened to the posters here who said there was no discernible difference between the two CASABLANCA Blus. I finally bought it when the price went down, and guess what? Even on a 32 inch screen there is a world of difference! In fact, I would say the difference is much more radical here than between the two Blus of SOME LIKE IT HOT. The reason is that the first Blu of CASABLANCA, though spot-on in terms of image sharpness, was moderately degrained, and slightly digital looking, which de-emphasized the quality of the cinematography, in particular lessening the ability to see the actual lighting of the film, whereas the second CASABLANCA BLU is truly a thing of beauty. Watching the second Blu-Ray issue of CASABLABCA compared to the first is like watching a completely different film, one that is not only more visually alive, but the difference between looking at an actual Van Gogh and reveling in the array of smeared paint and brush marks, as opposed to looking at a faded photograph. It is more three-dimensional and also a more immersive experience.

Going back to ALL ABOUT EVE, on the other hand, I'm not certain whether the difference will be that substantial, as the original digi-book Blu was on the highest level of mastering and image capture that was available when it was produced. Of course, that was quite some time ago, 11 years, I think, and the potential for producing totally accurate reproductions of film on digital media has improved substantially. So like everyone else, I'll wait on the reviews.

Arthur Powell likes this.
  11. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    We started in early 2007.

PMF, battlebeast and Robert Crawford like this.
  12. Message #52 of 71 Aug 17, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    There's willpower and then there's Kruppower.:D

B-ROLL, Harold Chasen and Will Krupp like this.
  13. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    Also, while Joseph Mankiewicz has been someone who has been disparaged by many film historians as being a better scriptwriter then a visual stylist, ALL ABOUT EVE is a film that may be subtle visually, but pays many rewards to those who study its images, in particular, the way the scenes are lit in terms of the changing dynamics among the film's protagonists.

B-ROLL, Will Krupp and PMF like this.
  14. Message #54 of 71 Aug 17, 2019
    Will Krupp

Will
    The fact that Mankiewicz (born in my hometown, btw) knowingly litters the tables at the Stork Club with bottles of Sortilege Perfume is enough of a visual reward for me!

Kruppstahl!! (even WORSE!)

PMF and B-ROLL like this.
  15. PatrickDA

PatrickDA Second Unit

"visual stylist"

I've always loved that subtle push-in on Celeste Holm early in the film as her character is getting out of the cab. It achieves two things; sells her character straining to see Eve in the alley way to the audience and as a character POV by bringing the alley as close as possible to her in order to spot Eve in the darkness.

PMF, B-ROLL and Will Krupp like this.
  16. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    I have a feeling that Mr. Mankiewicz went out more than one night a week in New York in the 1930's. The nightclubs back then were a trifle more elevated than the ones I experienced in the 1970's & 80's.

Also, if one walks into Sardi's today between 8-10 PM when it is mostly empty, it is the spitting image of the set in ALL ABOUT EVE, including the caricatures on the walls and the tablecloths.

PMF and Jimbo64 like this.
  17. Arthur Powell

Arthur
    Thanks for your input and I do stand corrected. As you can likely surmise, I have never seen the second blu-ray so I was going on recollections of what I read here and other places. After your thorough explanation, I'm actually inclined to acquiring this upgrade at some point.

lark144 likes this.
  18. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    That startling final image of "Phoebe" reflected manifold in the mirrors with Alfred Newman's dazzling score accentuating her fantasy of stardom gives All About Eve a visual flair at the end that leaves the viewer relatively stunned by all that has gone before.

19. Message #59 of 71 Aug 17, 2019
    Will Krupp

Will
    I don't think they ever go to Sardi's in the movie, unless I'm just forgetting it? The set with the drawings on the walls (where Margo & Bill announce their engagement) is supposed to be the Stork Club, or, more specifically, the Cub Room ("where the elite meet") AT the Stork Club, hence the Sortilege Perfume (Sherman Billingsley's ubiquitous gift for female celebrities) on the tables.

JohnMor likes this.
  20. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    You should. It's really beautiful in a completely visceral way. That first tracking shot about 15 minutes into the movie when the camera passes through the open door of NIck's Cafe and plunges one into a darkness as rich as the texture of chocolate mousse, alleviated only by the shafts of candlelight on the tables and the thin beam of a spotlight that illuminates Sam's finger on the piano is truly amazing, as well as enveloping. I've always wanted to go to Rick's, and now, through the wonder of this Blu, I have.

Will Krupp likes this.