Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:
Reactions: Osato

Garysb

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Based on the date radio adaptation is the Lux Radio Theatre on NBC on October 1, 1951, starring Bette Davis, Gary Merrill and Anne Baxter.

However there was a second radio version of All About Eve starring Tallulah Bankhead as Margo Channing which was was presented on NBC's The Big Show by the Theatre Guild of the Air on November 16, 1952. As Margo, as played by Davis, is often thought of as Davis playing Tallulah Bankhead and Davis played on film 3 roles that Bankhead originated on stage it would have been nice to include the Bankhead version.
Here is part one of Tallulah Bankhead in "All About Eve" from youtube.

Last edited:

PMF

Cinematographer
Supporter
Real Name
Philip
Yes, the earlier disc of All About Eve looked great;
but after Criterion's updated transfer of Some Like It Hot should there really be any doubts?
So, unfasten your seat belts, it's going to be a very smooth ride.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

darkrock17

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Criterion's release of Eve looks to have the same feature's as Fox's just the MovieTone newsreels, isolated score, and some vintage promotion for both Bette Davis and Anne Baxter are missing.

Reactions: Darby67

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor
Premium
Real Name
Patrick McCart
At first, I thought this was an odd choice since Fox's Blu is already seemingly excellent except... it doesn't have lossless mono (Dolby Digital 192kbs only!) and to be honest... the Cavett episodes Criterion includes on their releases are enough to make me interested in rebuying. Plus the feature-length Mankiewicz doc. While a UHD would have been nice, I recall the camera negative to this was junked with all the other nitrates.

One of the absolute classics of cinema, though.

Reactions: Darby67 and JohnMor

Mark-P

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Are they ditching the 5.1 remix, or did they just not bother to list it as an extra? I know some Criterion discs keep the “alternate” soundtrack as a supplement while other discs eliminate it altogether.

richardburton84

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack
Criterion's release of Eve looks to have the same feature's as Fox's just the MovieTone newsreels, isolated score, and some vintage promotion for both Bette Davis and Anne Baxter are missing.
I must confess that I’m a tad disappointed that they’re not retaining the isolated score, especially since Alfred Newman’s score is very good.

Reactions: MatthewA

darkrock17

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I must confess that I’m a tad disappointed that they’re not retaining the isolated score, especially since Alfred Newman’s score is very good.
It's deletion from this release probably has to do with copyright and whoever is in charge of Alfred Newman's estate most likely,

richardburton84

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack
It's deletion from this release probably has to do with copyright and whoever is in charge of Alfred Newman's estate most likely,
I’m not so sure Newman’s estate has anything to do with the isolated score being blocked (especially since they seemingly approved the inclusion of an isolated track of his score for The President’s Lady, a much lesser known film and score than Eve). I think Criterion may have chosen not to include given they also dropped the MFX track for their Blu upgrade of Notorious earlier this year, though they strangely kept the MFX track on their upgrade of Rebecca.

darkrock17

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I’m not so sure Newman’s estate has anything to do with the isolated score being blocked (especially since they seemingly approved the inclusion of an isolated track of his score for The President’s Lady, a much lesser known film and score than Eve). I think Criterion may have chosen not to include given they also dropped the MFX track for their Blu upgrade of Notorious earlier this year, though they strangely kept the MFX track on their upgrade of Rebecca.
What is an MFX track?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MsMadeline