Criterion new look new line

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ted:r, Apr 7, 2006.

1. ted:r

ted:r Second Unit

The April Criterion Collection Newsletter hints there will be a "New look, new line...coming this fall"

Anyone have any information on this?

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

There's a post on Twitch about it; interesting perspective on the company.

3. ted:r

I read the logboy entry (thanks, Jason, for the link). I must say I found it...well, self-satisfied in taking a contrary opinion. Now I'm not denying (even close) that there are Criterion "groupies", so to speak, who think that every release is golden. But I find every Criterion release is, at the worse, interesting. No, I don't love them all, and just because Criterion puts it out doesn't mean it leaps to the top of my queue. But every mention does at least interest me, makes me find out about the film. And I'm sure that will be true of whatever other line they put out.

4. Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan Supporting Actor

New line... I wonder if they are going to revisit the "cult" line they began with Sisters? That would be nice. Criterion is great, but more diversity would be nice.

5. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

It would be nice to see Criterion putting out more esoteric world films - I'm sure there are a lot of great films from Central/South America, Africa, and Asia that could use some exposure. I'd also like to see one of my fav directors, Aki Kaurismaki, get some more R1 recognition (despite the fact that I have all of the R2 Kaurismaki releases).

6. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    only on HTF would criterion be considered mainstream or not esoteric enough. [​IMG]

7. PaulP

PaulP Producer

New look? Does that mean the main Criterion DVDs will be redesigned? The April Criterion Newsletter has this "logo":

[​IMG]

I hope it's not replacing the current logo.

8. Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher Second Unit

While no one knows for sure, most speculate that the new logo is for their long-rumored "Eclipse" line (as the logo suggests), which would be an outlet for more "cult" films. Most believe the first releases will be out around September.

9. ted:r

Dare I hope that "Chilly Scenes Of Winter" constitutes a cult film that falls into this realm? After all, not all cults revolve around sci-fi/horror/low budget/trash films. Or so I hope...