Criterion - New commentary tracks on Kurosawa and Bergman discs!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew_Millheiser, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

Check out Criterion's website .
    In a nutshell, Peter Cowie is recording a brand new commentary for the upcoming Wild Strawberries disc. Furthermore, Donald Richie, whose The Films of Akira Kurosawa is an absolute must read for Kurosawa geeks (like myself) and film fans alike, is recording a commentary for Rashomon.
    *Ahem*
    I think I need some new pants...
    (2002 can't come fast enough!)
    ------------------
    If you have to get your DVDs on the street date, buy them in person at Best Buy or Costco. If you have to get your DVDs at the lowest bargain price available, order them online. Pick one and shut the fuck up.
    - DVD Freaks at The Lard Biscuit

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

My drool-bucket overfloweth... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
    -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

3. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Dammit, when I saw this thread title, I thought "Please oh please, let it not be Peter Cowie". His commentary on the Seventh Seal was beyond disappointing, amounting to little more than a narration of the on-screen action.
    At least the rest of the disc will be great. [​IMG]
    -Dave
    ------------------
    DVD List
    "The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"

4. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

5. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

6. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I also liked Cowie's Seventh Seal commentary. I'm very pleased that Rashomon will have one. It's about time, too many of the Criterion Kurosawa discs are bare bones.
    ------------------
    "It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"
    S&S Challenge: 72 ...24
    DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

7. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Based on the few critic/historian commentaries I have heard, I prefer them to most "artist" commentaries, primarily because the critic/historian focuses much more on the art and science of film making and what the images on screen tell us.
    This is in contrast to so many artists' commentaries in which they either narrate the action or ramble through some pointless story. Hey, I love a good anecdote, but I also want to hear their thoughts on the film at hand. They should use INTERVIEWS for the anecdotes and commentaries to comment on the film.
    Just my opinion.
    One of my favorite commentaries is on The Lady Vanishes Criterion.
    2 strong artist commentaries for film lovers are on Elizabeth and on Bram Stokers Dracula (LD). They take time to discuss imagery and mood, which enhance my enjoyment of their efforts more than the funny thing that happened with the craft service. [​IMG]

8. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

Great news indeed, especially for Richie's involvement. His book on the films of Kurosawa is very insightful. I believe I have asked this before, but never did I feel that I got an answer, so I'll mention it again. Is it possible that Criterion will ever go back to the bare-bones Kurosawa discs and add more material and enhanced widescreen?

9. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

Most excellent news on the upcoming Rashomon. I enjoyed the commentary on Seven Samurai and always wondered why the other Kurosawa discs didn't come with commentaries or "audio essays" (though I really don't know what the difference between the two is).
    By the way Matthew: that's the first time I've seen that sig file...and I friggin' love it. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
    ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

10. Jun-Dai Bates

Jun-Dai Bates Stunt Coordinator

From what I've heard, it will be a long time before Criterion revisits any discs. If they do revisit any, it will probably mean that they'd been out of print for a while. That is to say, they would probably revisit 400 Blows if they got it back. They've mentioned that they want to work on as many different films as they can, and don't really have the time to redo titles that they've already worked on, so you'll just have to wait for the next format.

11. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

If you take a look at the wonderful "Bergman filmography" on THE SEVENTH SEAL disc, you can get a taste of Cowie's upcoming commentary (though it sounds like it's all new). At any rate, in that filmography Cowie provides an excellent analysis of the complete dream sequence that opens WILD STRAWBERRIES.
    This is great news - I was hoping these weren't gonna be bare-bones releases! [​IMG]

12. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer