1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Criterion Lower Depths question

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Haggai, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Haggai

Haggai Producer

I currently have both discs out from Netflix, the Renoir and Kurosawa versions. I'm trying to watch the Renoir version, and the image is shaking a lot, sometimes very badly, just in the first 20 minutes or so. I put in the Kurosawa disc for a quick comparison, thinking that maybe my player was messing up, but when I skipped around a few of the chapters of the Kurosawa disc, there was no such problem. I skimmed a few reviews linked from DVD Basen, but none of them said anything about any such trouble with the Renoir version. Have I just gotten a bad disc?

2. Haggai

Haggai Producer

I watched the rest of the Renoir version last night. Still lots of picture shaking throughout the movie. It was briefly mentioned in the DVDFile review, but I didn't see anyone else referencing it, which surprises me because it was terribly distracting. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

3. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I do seem to remember a bit of jumpiness on the Renoir version, though it didn't distract me all that much.

I can't reference it again for you as I didn't purchase it, t'was a rental from my library.

4. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

Haggai,
    I just watched Renoir's version of the film, also from Netflix, and felt the same way. Don't know if it's just Netflix having a bad copy or a general problem.

5. Haggai

Haggai Producer

I'm thinking that it's a bad Netflix disc. SteveGon told me via PM that he didn't have that problem with his recently purchased copy.