Criterion Lower Depths question

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Haggai, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Haggai

Haggai Producer

I currently have both discs out from Netflix, the Renoir and Kurosawa versions. I'm trying to watch the Renoir version, and the image is shaking a lot, sometimes very badly, just in the first 20 minutes or so. I put in the Kurosawa disc for a quick comparison, thinking that maybe my player was messing up, but when I skipped around a few of the chapters of the Kurosawa disc, there was no such problem. I skimmed a few reviews linked from DVD Basen, but none of them said anything about any such trouble with the Renoir version. Have I just gotten a bad disc?

2. Haggai

Haggai Producer

I watched the rest of the Renoir version last night. Still lots of picture shaking throughout the movie. It was briefly mentioned in the DVDFile review, but I didn't see anyone else referencing it, which surprises me because it was terribly distracting. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

3. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I do seem to remember a bit of jumpiness on the Renoir version, though it didn't distract me all that much.

I can't reference it again for you as I didn't purchase it, t'was a rental from my library.

4. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

Haggai,
    I just watched Renoir's version of the film, also from Netflix, and felt the same way. Don't know if it's just Netflix having a bad copy or a general problem.

5. Haggai

Haggai Producer

I'm thinking that it's a bad Netflix disc. SteveGon told me via PM that he didn't have that problem with his recently purchased copy.