Criterion Louis Malle in early '06

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Haggai, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Figured I'd go ahead and start a thread for this. Criterion's September newsletter says:

No more details given yet.

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

"Murmur of the Heart"! [​IMG]

3. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Malle's Elevator to the Gallows is getting a theatrical re-release around the country by Rialto, so I guess that'll probably be a Criterion DVD as well at some point.

4. PaulP

PaulP Producer

I'm guessing this will be a box.

5. Bob Graham

Bob Graham Supporting Actor

Bob Graham
    Lacombe, Lucien [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Gerry P.

Gerry P. Auditioning

Lacombe, Lucien

Has this ever been released on home video in R1-Land?... A definite blind buy for me.

7. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I'll but them all!!

It would be nice if Criterion would issue a boxset of ALL of Malle's releases under license including past Criterion titles.

8. rich_d

rich_d Cinematographer

Rich

Great news that. Terrific film ... dark, comedic, moody, beautiful images, Miles Davis score ... what's not to love?

9. rich_d

rich_d Cinematographer

Rich
    I just saw Elevator From the Gallows tonight at the Jacob Burns Center in Pleasantville, NY. The film is listed as not just a new print but a restored film. Naturally, I don't know what the condition of the film elements were but the results were disappointing.

My memory may not be perfect on this but I remember watching a VHS version from my library and thinking that the film looked really good. So I was looking forward to it on the big screen. I looked past the first reel as first reels tend to show more wear. But subsequent reels (while better) weren't that much better. Without mincing words, my thoughts were hell's bells, what the heck did the restoration accomplish? The cinematography is so good in this film, I guess I hoped the film would help showcase it more.

This really didn't distract from the story (except for one scene where a man in the background looked like he had two heads coming out of a store). The story is still the thing and this is an interesting story and this film is a personal favorite.

Much of the film occurs over night and Miles Davis and company score is just terrific. The audio was quite good. The film is worth seeing just for its mood and also for its use of nighttime shots in low and seemingly natural light.

Here is a Rialto summary for those that haven't seen the film.