What's new

Criterion inks deal with Sony (1 Viewer)

ShellOilJunior

Second Unit
This sounds like great news. Could this mean we will see some Frank Capra on blu-ray from Criterion in the not-so-distant future?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
It's a deal for Sony to handle the retail distribution of Criterion's products, not content. Criterion already has released titles from Sony/Columbia and presumably will continue to do so.

Mark VH

Second Unit
"The Criterion Collection features more than 150 movies."

I assume this is referring to Blu-rays? Because last time I checked, there were well over 500 movies in the collection.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
It's interesting that Sony is doing this given how much that they have scaled back on issuing DVDs and blus themselves. I would have thought that they would have really cut their distribution and back office staff.

ShellOilJunior

Second Unit
Peter Apruzzese said:
It's a deal for Sony to handle the retail distribution of Criterion's products, not content. Criterion already has released titles from Sony/Columbia and presumably will continue to do so.
It surely cannot hurt the chances.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
JoeDoakes said:
It's interesting that Sony is doing this given how much that they have scaled back on issuing DVDs and blus themselves. I would have thought that they would have really cut their distribution and back office staff.
Distribution of third party product is likely more economically feasible, though I do wonder how this bodes for Image, given that they had a distribution deal for Sony product. As a side note, Sony distribution for Criterion may open up new markets for them.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
When you have a favourite film, I think you dream of it getting the Criterion treatment.A Matter of Life and Death is Sony in the US, and Criterion appear to love The Archers.An announcement of a Criterion release of AMOLAD would probably hospitalise me.

Steve W

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
A Matter of Life and Death is the first film I thought of, too.
The current DVD has a nice commentary from Ian Christie,
but I would love this film on Blu-ray and the more quality bonus content, the better!

Yorkshire said:
When you have a favourite film, I think you dream of it getting the Criterion treatment.A Matter of Life and Death is Sony in the US, and Criterion appear to love The Archers.An announcement of a Criterion release of AMOLAD would probably hospitalise me.

Steve W

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks