Criterion "Ingmar Bergman Trilogy"

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ShaunS, Jun 2, 2003.

1. ShaunS

ShaunS Stunt Coordinator

Take a trip over to dvdbeaverand take a look at their Upcoming DVD Covers section. Don't see any specs. Haven't seen these three as of yet (but love the many others I have seen and own). Not sure if I like the covers too much, and the box looks a little plain. But 3 Criterion Bergmans at once? Not sure if my heart (and my wallet) will be able to handle it. I'm glad they are not just boxing up their previously released films, like the Kurosawa and Hitchcock, as I own a number of the Bergmans already.

ShaunS

2. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Ooooh...The Silence! I love that one! I agree, it's very good to see that this isn't just another repackaging of old releases.

-Dave

3. PatrickL

PatrickL Second Unit

Whoa, I must have missed the memo. When are these beauts being released?

And hasn't MGM announced 3 Bergman special editions also?

By the way I love those covers.

4. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

Wow ! Those are amazing covers. I have been waiting for these titles ever since Criterion mentioned them in a chat 2 years back. I almost picked up the Malata player and the R2 Tartan discs, but I am glad I decided to hold off. It's gonna be a great year for Bergman releases (with MGM releasing 4 titles including Persona in November).

5. andrew markworthy

I already have these titles on the Tartan R2 editions, and they're perfectly acceptable. Personally, I'll only pick up the Criterion editions as well if there are commentaries or significant extras.

6. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Nice covers! Can't wait!

7. Simon_Lepine

Simon_Lepine Supporting Actor

Great news! These covers are similiar in style to those of the Dreyer box set.

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Exellent! I am currently collecting and loving the Criterion Bergman films. I am sill haunted from my viewing of Cries and Whispers the other night.

9. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

10. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

From the HVE website:

Price: $79.95. Only available as a box set.

• New high-definition digital transfers
    • Exploring the film: Video discussions of each film with Ingmar Bergman biographer Peter Cowie
    • Optional English-dubbed soundtrack
    • Original theatrical trailers
    • Promotional poster gallery
    • New English subtitle translations for all films
    • More!

At the beginning of the 1960s, renowned film director Ingmar Bergman began work on what were to become some of his most powerful and representative works—the Trilogy. Already a figure of tremendous international acclaim for such masterworks as The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, and The Virgin Spring, Bergman turned his back on the abundant symbolism and exotic imagery of his ‘50s work to focus on a series of impacted, emotionally explosive chamber dramas examining faith and alienation in the modern age. Utilizing a new cameraman—the incomparable Sven Nykvist—Bergman unleashed Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light, and The Silence in rapid succession, exposing moviegoers worldwide to a new level of intellectual and emotional intensity. Each film employs minimal dialogue, eerily isolated settings, and searing performances from such Bergman regulars as Max von Sydow, Harriet Andersson, Gunnar Bjornstrand, Ingrid Thulin and Gunnel Lindblom in their evocation of a desperate world confronted with God’s desertion. Drawing on Bergman’s own severely religious upbringing and ensuing spiritual crisis, the films in the Trilogy are deeply personal, challenging, and enriching works that exhibit the filmmaker’s peerless formal mastery and fierce intelligence. The Criterion Collection is proud to present The Ingmar Bergman Trilogy: Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light, and The Silence.

11. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

I don't want to steer this thread off topic, but on that same website, there was some other pieces of cover art that caught my eye.

First was the conver art for Brazil. Does this mean that there is a new edition coming out? Why is there a FOX logo on the side of the box, as I thought Universal owned this?

I also noticed cover art for Croupier. Does anyone know if or when this is coming out?

Thanks

12. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

These are both recent Region 2 [PAL] releases from the UK. Fox has the distribution rights to Brazil in R2 (release date: May 20th). Croupier was released by Cinema Club on April 15th. More info is available on DVD Beaver's Foreign Film Release Calendar.

13. Jim Rankin

Jim Rankin Stunt Coordinator

14. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

So far I'm safe, the and more will need to be a lot more for me to rebuy these. I can't imagine them improving much on the Tartans.

But for any who don't have these already, it would be well worth your while to see them. 3 of Bergman's finest, especially Winter Light.

15. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

Quote (from an amazon.com customer review of the upcoming Criterion Bergman set):

"Beware this cut version of "The Silence", July 13, 2003
    Reviewer: A viewer from NY, USA
    At the time of this writing (June 13th 2003), the running time listed for the upcoming Criterion DVD release of "The Silence" (third film in the "Ingmar Bergman Trilogy") is 95 minutes. The running time of the UNCUT version, long available in Sweden, the UK, and elsewhere is 96 minutes. While this might seem to be just a matter of rounding a running time up or down, make no mistake, the 95 minute cut is the CENSORED version first shown to US audiences in 1963 and the only one available here since."

The whole review:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

So, is Criterion going to give us a censored version...?

16. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Criterion releasing a version that is not what the director originally intended is very odd.

I also would like official word on this matter. Perhaps someone could write a letter of inquery to Jon Mulvany?

17. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

The Silence will be uncut. Jon Mulvaney was asked about this and his response was posted in this thread:

18. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Thank you for that clarification.

19. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

Thanks for that clarification - just what I though and hoped. Criterion seems to be too serious to do anything but the right thing where it matters.

20. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer