What's new

Criterion in September (1 Viewer)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
OMG! Seven Samurai re-mastered, 3-disc edition? Brazil anamorphic? Amarcord anamorphic? Playtime 2-disc so George can stop sighing? Years of waiting all paying off in the same month!

Where's the nearest blood bank? A lot of us are going to be throwing quite a hefty chunk of change Criterion's way in September. :D

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
"spirit of the Beehive" wow finally !! a victor Erice film,I been waitting
years for this ,ever since they said they do a laser.
Erice is one of the greatest filmakers ,and none of his 3 film are
availble on dvd here.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
Sweet!! September just got more expensive but in a very good way.

Seven Samurai extras:
  • All-new restored, high-definition digital transfer
  • Commentary by film scholars David Desser, Joan Mellen, Donald Richie and more
  • Commentary by Japanese film expert Michael Jeck
  • 50-minute making-of documentary, "Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful To Create"
  • Two-hour conversation between Kurosawa and Nagisa Oshima
  • New documentary, "Seven Samurai: Origins and Influences"
  • Theatrical trailers and teaser
  • New and improved English subtitle translation
  • Essays by Peter Cowie, Philip Kemp, Kenneth Turan, Sidney Lumet and more
Brazil extras:
  • All-new, restored high-definition digital transfer
  • Audio commentary by Gilliam
  • Optional English subtitles
  • An essay by Jack Mathews
  • 30-minute on-set documentary, "What Is Brazil?"
  • "The Battle of Brazil: A Video History"
  • Storyboards, drawings, and publicity and production stills
  • Raw and behind-the-scenes footage
  • Video interviews with the production team
  • Theatrical trailer
  • 94-minute "Love Conquers All" version
  • Audio essay by journalist David Morgan

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
All the Brazil extras look like they'll be the same on the new set as the original release, with the NOTABLE change of a new anamorphic transfer. It's cool that they're releasing that as a 1-disc as well, so those of us who have the old 3-disc can just replace the old first disc with the new one.

But those are a LOT of new extras for Seven Samurai. Wow, that might very well end up being the best release in Criterion history.

James D S

Screenwriter
If Brazil got upgraded, I was hoping Criterion wouldn't stick it to those who picked up the current 3-disc set by making it so that we would have to rebuy. Thanks Criterion for releasing the new master on a single disc.

And put me down for The Seven Samurai SE. Now, if only we could get the restoration demo available on the Region 0 version of the original release. :p

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
1. Does this mean these Criterion Classics are now going to sport that goofy new logo?

2. New Spine Numbers?

3. Any features excluded from the previous releases (hey, maybe we'll get that Seven Samurai restoration featurette!)

Man, I can't wait till Criterion starts doing DVDs in HD!

CS

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
None of their previous re-releases have featured different spine numbers, so I assume the numbers will stay the same for these new ones as well.

Vince Butler

Agent
Real Name
Vince Butler
I'm ecstatic about Brazil anamorphic. I remember emailing Criterion to request that years ago, and I'm very happy that it's actually happening. The fact that it will be available separately so I don't have to re-buy my box set is just icing on the cake.

Thank you Criterion for putting the fans first. I wish all studios had the same mentality.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

Yes to the "goofy new logo." The cover art and specs for each title are available in the links of my original post.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Nice release list there.

Seven Samuraii and especially Amarcord are big ones. And if the rumors of Playtime are true (it's gonna come eventually regardless) that would be fantastic.

As someone else mentioned, I wish Criterion would jump on HD already.
I cant bring myself to purchase DVDs anymore. Would love to see these movies in HD.

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator
Couldn't agree more - Criterion's offering of a single disc anamorphic BRAZIL for those that already have the previous edition just shows what a classy imprint it is - hurrah!

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Seven Samurai on three discs? Does that mean the film will be spread over two? That would be awesome! I can't wait to see this film remastered with today's technology... this is gonna be one of the best DVDs ever!

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I think pretty much everyone emailed Criterion to request an anamorphic Brazil, and I'm overjoyed. I'll confess to not having picked up Brazil yet, as I wanted to wait and see if an anamorphic release would come out, and it seems my patience has been rewarded.

WOO-HOO!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks