What's new

Criterion Igmar Bergman Set (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Sold Out. I ordered this from B&N a week before release. The store received two copies, and neither was for me. Amazon is saying that this will not be available until February, which will place it well outside of the 50% sale. WTF? Fine, this is not the end of the world. I can wait until February (if B&N honors my original order price) or even July, when the next 50% sale occurs. It's simply the principle. DON'T offer these goddam movies unless you can back up the orders with actual copies!!

Criterion has, in my book, dropped significantly in terms of my esteem.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Worth the wait though. Mine came last night... I would have preferred chronological order, but they have several films that have to share the disc with another movie ... and there is a coffee table book that would probably have a SRP of around $100.00 (and a street of 50) I haven't had a chance to check the discs out but they are in a separate volume and each disc has an individual slot ... unlike the Olympics(R) set that have sleeves for the discs to sit in ...
7wT4bPXK8EBW1qJ5q9Mk9TRwXuDYk2_original[1].jpg

FYI the back of the set says it's region A-B-C ...

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Popular titles often sell out unexpectedly and with replication delays - as have been extensively covered here - titles get backordered since the manufacturer can't make enough of them. It happens. You can order it today for the sale price and you will get in February or sooner.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Criterion and Barnes and Noble have both said they were totally unprepared for the demand for this set. They expected it to be a niche seller, mostly due to the price.

Reactions: PMF

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
For $150 this set is a steal. At list price? Not so much.
$10.00 a blu-ray disc is a bargain just about anywhere....obviously you would have to look at how many of the films you already have ... some, eg The Seventh Seal are new transfers...

Reactions: PMF

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sold Out. I ordered this from B&N a week before release. The store received two copies, and neither was for me. Amazon is saying that this will not be available until February, which will place it well outside of the 50% sale. WTF? Fine, this is not the end of the world. I can wait until February (if B&N honors my original order price) or even July, when the next 50% sale occurs. It's simply the principle. DON'T offer these goddam movies unless you can back up the orders with actual copies!!

Criterion has, in my book, dropped significantly in terms of my esteem.
Seriously? I suspect demand was 20x what they expected. They're human, and they underestimated the popularity of a product. We can be such spoiled consumers sometimes. Using this as a blanket condemnation of Criterion is absurd. OK, I had a feeling this was going to be extremely popular, so I played it safe and pre-ordered well ahead of time. It does amuse me to look back at that moment and all the people who belittled it.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I think the initial pre-orders were probably In line with their expectations. What they didn’t count on probably were others like myself who held off until early reviews confirmed how many of the transfers on the previously released titles were new. That info combined with the 50% sale prompted me to buy this when I had no real plan to initially.

I was just lucky to have pulled the trigger at Amazon while they still matched B&N’s price just before they ran out of stock.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I was just lucky to have pulled the trigger at Amazon while they still matched B&N’s price just before they ran out of stock.

That's how I got mine as well. Had it the next day. I'd been a Bergman holdout for YEARS, having never purchased any of Criterion's individual releases, so this set was a boon for me.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Seriously?

Not really. Just spouting off due to my irritating and impulsive "Type, then post, and only then think" kind of way that has become far too frequent for me. In fact, just moments ago I received a call from Barnes and Noble informing me that the Bergman set was going to be reserved for me the day they actually receive another one, and they will honor the 50% deal even as late as February.

I wind up apologizing on this forum much too often these past couple of years for stupid remarks made against companies I greatly admire. Criterion isn't going anywhere in terms of my esteem for it. No doubt Criterion reads these threads, and I apologize for my boorish behavior...it's like I contracted Aspergers along with everything else. It's childish to explode whenever I don't get my way...and I'm 69!

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Ordered my set a couple of days ago with the Criterion flash sale for $150, and it's already arrived. Now I have lots of discs of magical cinematic sorrow to savor. Plus there's the book to read.

bergman boxed set.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks