What's new

Criterion/Home Vision's November lineup! (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Yes Dome—it is one of the generally acknowledged ‘great’ films ever made.

But if you did not like Grand Illusion, it may be that you don’t like Renior and won’t like this one either.

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
I actually did not make it through all of Grand Illusion. I think it may be because I had seen The Great Escape and much of Grand Illusion had a "I think I saw this before" quality to it.

I can't say I'm all that excited about Naked Lunch. I saw it a long time ago and remember not thinking much of it. Of course, I also felt that way about Burroughs' book (one of those "I can see the artistic value of it but as for a good read... not my cup of tea" sort of things.

For someone who would love to one day own the entire Criterion collection, what with certain titles going oop (and up in price on ebay) I don't see it happening anytime soon. I think I only have about 130 to go!!! :D

ShaunS

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Rules of the Game!!!! I will definitely be buying it and maybe La Strada.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
I'm very curious to discover which version of Alice in Wonderland this is going to be. I think it's unlikely to be the Paramount version (but would be quite happy if it was). I think it's more likely to be Jonathan Miller's BBC version (which I reviewed here).

The other prime candidate would be the 1972 musical version, starring Fiona Fullerton, which, like the Paramount version, has never had a proper home video release anywhere, AFAIK.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I said slim pickings, not zero pickings. Hiroshima, mon Amour and Night and Fog and most of the Doinel box were very worthwhile additions to the collection. I haven't seen Umberto D so I'm reserving judgment there. But if I hadn't already stopped trying to collect all of the Criterions (I gave up around #150), this last stretch of mostly dreary material surely would have convinced me to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.