Criterion/Home Vision's November lineup!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jon Robertson, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

2. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Sweetness. I wait for specs. But I suspect Naked Lunch and Rules of the Game are in order.

3. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

La Strada and Rules of the Game? Excellent!

4. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Rules of the Game and Kiyoshi Kurosawa's fantastic Cure for me. Not that I don't like it, but La Strada is my least favorite Fellini film of the 50's. I'll only pick it up if it has significant extras.

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

6. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Hell yeah, I fucking LOVE Crieterion! I have said it time and time again, Cronenberg, my favorite director, deserves a lot more respect on DVD than he has gotten. Now Criterion is finally going to release NAKED LUNCH to DVD, and I'm positive that just like their DEAD RINGERS disc, this SE will be one to behold! I can't wait till November! Now, if only they'd give VIDEODROME and CRASH Criterion SEs, and all his other films get SEs from their respective studios as well.

I am also happy as hell about the release of the brilliant CURE! Its one of the absolute best Asian horror films I've ever seen, and that's saying a lot! Very intelligent, subtle, and eerie horror gem. I'll definitely be picking it up as well!

7. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

perhaps I will only get La Strada out of curiosity

[​IMG]

8. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

NAKED LUNCH! Nice! Time to retire my ugly Fox pan-and-scan laser.

I recall going to see this with two friends back in 1991. One loved it (as I did), and the other -- befuddled -- said "That's not the Naked Gun I was expecting."

Now only if Fox's distribution deal with Criterion would include Paris Texas (fingers crossed)...

9. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

November 18th keeps getting more and more expensive. I will be picking up La Strada and Rules of the Game along with Paramount's OUATITW, and 4 of the Bergmans from MGM (these haven't been confirmed yet).

-D

10. Simon_Lepine

Simon_Lepine Supporting Actor

Tokyo Story in October and Rules of the Game in november!

Well that rounds up the Sight and Sound top 10 on DVD [​IMG]

11. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I really think that Criterion is having an incredible year. Just as some of the other studios are issuing DVDs of some of their fine films with the care they deserve, Criterion once again ups the bar.

What film lover could not find something that resonates with them this year—either already released or planned. And for most of us, it is just one winner after another.

12. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I'm all in for Naked Lunch and possibly Rules of the Game. I'd like to check out more Criterion release, but this is an incredibly expensive Fall.

13. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

La Strada is my favorite Fellini film so I'm in seventh heaven. What a nice surprise seeing Naked Lunch coming out from Criterion. Seeing that, I'm keeping my fingers crossed abvout 3 Women.

14. Roderick Gauci

Roderick Gauci Stunt Coordinator

As much as I want to believe this, I find it very strange that such a hot piece of news has leaked out from the usually secretive Criterion quarters so far ahead of schedule, and even stranger still is the fact that it has been a Canadian e-tailer to bring it to our attention, since Criterion discs are notoriously over-priced in that country!

Anyway, out of the 9 films mentioned, I’m interested in 5 - namely ALICE IN WONDERLAND (assuming it is the 1933 Paramount version), LA REGLE DU JEU (1939; I own it on VHS, albeit the shorter 105-minute version), LA STRADA (1954; I have it on VHS recorded off Italian TV), RICHARD III (1955; I own it on VHS) and PALE FLOWER (1964).

Three of the Criterion titles were released by them on LD (none of which I’ve seen as I never owned a LD player): however, LA REGLE DU JEU had very few extras for such a landmark piece of cinema (still, I’m confident the upcoming R1 DVD edition will beat any previous version available, including the recent R2 BFI disc); LA STRADA was a bare-bones affair, which I hope Criterion can improve upon for its DVD incarnation; RICHARD III included an Audio Commentary by director/playwright Russ Lees, which I assume will be ported over to DVD (though I’d like to see even more special features for this splendid Shakespearean adaptation featuring what is, possibly, Laurence Olivier’s greatest performance on screen).

I’ve never watched the other two titles: I’ve always been intrigued by Paramount’s all-star ALICE IN WONDERLAND, also because it seems to have followed the classic Tenniel drawings pretty faithfully; PALE FLOWER is a completely obscure title for me: hopefully, it will prove to be in the same league as Shinoda’s DOUBLE SUICIDE (1969), whose Criterion DVD edition I did pick up some time ago.

15. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Woohoo! "Cure"! Would love to see it again!

16. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Finally, Criterion is coming up with some interesting titles. These four all should be must-purchases, though very few of the last 20 or so they've issued have been worth the time and trouble. I really hated I Fidanzati (though several readers politely dissed my review) and while Coup de Grace has a knockout finale it's pretty tedious going for the most part. Throne of Blood was of course a great one but other than that it's been pretty slim pickings IMHO.

17. Simon_Lepine

Simon_Lepine Supporting Actor

Mark, you think Hiroshima mon Amour, Night and Fog and Umberto D. are slim pickings? And I thought the Doinel box was a fine release, although I understand while some people don't care much for them.

18. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

19. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

20. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    FINALLY "Rules of the Game." Very exciting. They've been working on it forever, so hopefully it will be as worth the wait as "Grand Illusion" was.

And "La Strada" and "Richard III"? Yeah! Bring 'em on. I've especially been wanting "Richard III," considered by many to be Olivier's greatest Shakespearean performance on film.