What's new

Criterion- Heaven Can Wait...in June! (1 Viewer)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Criterion has just announced the 1943 Ernst Lubitsch classic "Heaven Can Wait" for a June release!!!! I've been waiting for this one and apparently the wait is going to be worth it!

RyanZ

Stunt Coordinator
I assume you mean the 1943 Ernst Lubitch version, not the unrelated Warren Beatty 1979 film of the same title.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
RyanZ,
Why do you say "unrelated"?
I thought the Beatty version, was based on the original?
Thanks.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Funny that FOX would not release it themselves under the STUDIO CLASSICS COLLECTION. Oh well, at least it is coming out.

RyanZ

Stunt Coordinator

The Warren Beatty "Heaven Can Wait" is a remake of the 1941 film "Here Comes Mr. Jordan." "Heaven Can Wait" - the 1943 Lubitch comedy, has no relation.

Armin Jager

Stunt Coordinator
More Gene Tierney :) :) :) .
Now her 7-8 most essential films are completely on DVD, maybe Fox could tackle TOBACCO ROAD ...

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Sure would like a Lubitsch festival in Chicago. At least his movies are slowly coming out on DVD.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Mine! Thanks much, Fox & Criterion! :) :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Wow, looks like this is, in addition to being the Year of Steve McQueen & Lee Marvin on R1 DVD, it's also the Year of Gene Tierney:

HEAVEN CAN WAIT
LAURA
LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN
THE RAZOR'S EDGE
NIGHT & THE CITY

DaveK

Second Unit

Can someone please explain this to me. Why is Criterion releasing this film and not Fox?

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Fox struck a deal with Criterion to allow them to release a number of Fox films that, I would suppose, Fox felt would not sell enough copies to be worth a release under their own banner and/or warrant the special edition treatment Criterion would give them. Previous Criterion Fox releases include Kagemusha and Three Women. The upcoming Criterion release of Preston Sturges' Unfaithfully Yours is also a Fox film.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Where's CLUNY BROWN? Never on home video!!!
I'd even take films "started" by Lubitsch and completed by Otto Preminger--A ROYAL SCANDAL and THAT LADY IN ERMINE. And where's CLUNY BROWN????!!!

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
What's the transfer like on the French version of Cluny Brown? How does it comapre with a Fox Studio Classic release in terms of picture and sound? I had no idea it was out on DVD.

DaveK

Second Unit

Brook K.
Thanks for the information, because it confused me for a while.

I know the movie used to be shown on Cinemax, but I never had the chance to watch it. I might buy it just because it's a Technicolor movie.

Pete York

Supporting Actor

The other odd timing release was the two Fox Dassin noirs from Criterion in February and then the Fox noir line debuting a month later. I guess this was just an old deal with Criterion and it took them a while to release both these movies?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks