What's new

Criterion "Great Adaptations" Box Set (1 Viewer)

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
from Criterion's Website:

Only one I've seen is The Most Dangerous Game, which was campy and fun. Probably would never pick it up individualy, but I do enjoy my Criterion Box Sets.

Comments on the other films appreciated.

ShaunS

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Great Expectations and Oliver Twist are fantastic films with great direction and performances, and the cherry on the sundae is that they also feature some of the most gorgeous black and white cinematography (by Guy Green under the direction of David Lean) I have ever seen.

Both of these titles were slated to be part of the David Lean collection coming from MGM which was announced and then postponed without a new date.

Regards,

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

And this boxset, which may be an end of license ploy by Criterion, could go some way to explaining why. I've held off buying the Leans because I was always hoping for some extras stuffed re-releases (fat chance from MGM I think), I did get The Most Dangerous Game which is fantastic. I suppose if the box is priced right...

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
If Criterion don't sell their current stocks of these titles, then pretty soon, they won't be able to sell them at all, so it makes sense to do this.

But I'd rather wait to see the transfers of Lean films from MGM. The Criterion DVDs are ports of the Laserdiscs are they not?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

I believe they are, but their quite good transfers, if I recall. Certainly not bad transfers.

The real question is if MGM will put any effort into making their DVDs look better.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm so happy I've held off on these titles, I was considering picking up Lord Of The Flies Criterion last week.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I don't remember any visual evidence that the Criterion DVDs are from a composite source. I tend to believe they are from new transfers.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks