What's new

Criterion - ever considered licencing from the BBC? (1 Viewer)

James Reader

Screenwriter
I understand as more and more of the big studios want to grab a sizable slice of the 'DVD Pie' it is getting harder and harder for distributors like yourselves to licence titles.

Have you ever considered licencing titles from the BBC? In the UK especially the BBC seem very agreeable to licencing out their titles - many companies including Universal, The BFI, Network Videos etc are producing DVDs with licenced content. And in R1 titles such as 'Last of the Summer Wine' and 'Blakes 7' are licenced out.

I'm not suggesting that Criterion should licence anything as mundane as a BBC sit-com - but some of their wonderful plays and specials.

The BBC have produced many wonderful dramas which - IMOHO - would be ideal for Criterion releases. Examples which spring to mind include any of the classic 'Ghost Stories for Christmas' specials, 'Abigail's Party', 'Nuts In May', 'Ghostwatch', 'Cathy Come Home' and, for something bigger how about the complete 'Elizabeth R' or 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy'?

Just an idea.

Howard B

Grip
This is a great idea. How about Precious Bane, a BBC short series with Janet McTeer and John Bowe which was never released on any format.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Actually I've thought of two more worthy releases :)

The Complete 'Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit'
information here

Hancock: A selection of classic episodes from the TV comedy, perhaps a few radio show audio tracks and the excellent BBC Omnibus episode starring Alfred Molina as Hancock.

Thinking about it, the list is almost endless! Come on Criterion, open up negotiations!

You must already have a relationship with the BBC as sometimes their documentaries appear on your discs.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Now I'm totally "wigged" (that is what Buffy would say? Yes?) because 'Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit' has just been announced for the UK (Second Sight licenced from the BBC) Here's the story from The R2 Project

I honestly had no idea when I posted the above entry! But I was discussing it with a friend of mine a few days ago!

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
James:
Are the current versions of Elizebeth R (Region 1-BBC)
and Tinker Tailor from Acorn Media not complete. I was under the impression they were.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks