Criterion DVD's - Are They Multi-Region?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BenjaminG, Jul 23, 2002.

1. BenjaminG

BenjaminG Stunt Coordinator

Hey, I'm sure that I read somewhere that they were. Is this true? I am interested in getting the Monty Python's Life Of Brian, but am only R4 equipped. Anyone that can shed some light on this would be most appreciated.
    Ben

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

So far as I know, with one exception, Criterion discs are region encoded. The one exception I'm aware of is the first release of Seven Samurai, long OOP (the second Region 1 release is still available).

3. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

All Disney titles released through Criterion (eg The Rock, Armageddon, Royal Tenenbaums, Rushmore, Chasing Amy) are coded R1. The Passion of Joan of Arc is also a R1 disc. The Life of Brian is not region coded.

4. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

To add to Julian's post:

All Kurosawa Criterions (with the exception of the already mentioned first pressing of Seven Samurai) are also R1 encoded.
    The movies licensed from Universal that I have (Brazil, Do The Right Thing, The Last Temptation Of Christ, Spartacus), are playable on all dvd players. Most others (including Life Of Brian) are also not region encoded.

BTW: of the two Hitchcock Criterions I have, Notorious is R1, but Rebecca is not region encoded.
    Julian correctly mentioned that The Passion Of Joan Of Arc is R1, but the other Carl Th. Dreyer Criterions (available in a 4-disc box) have no region encoding.

5. Sebastian_A

Sebastian_A Stunt Coordinator

I think those that ARE coded have the "1" on the back - the others don't have it, and therefore are region free. [​IMG]
    Seb
    PS: Anyone confirm, hehe!

6. Sam Owens

Sam Owens Stunt Coordinator

Gimme Shelter is R1 but doesn't advertise the fact.

7. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

As are The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie and Fiend Without A Face

8. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

The Vanishing is also a R1 disc without warning on the cover, the already mentioned Notorious also doesn't have the R1 logo.

9. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

I'd say at least 50% of Criterion DVDs are R0. There was a list somewhere, but I can't find it now. The Night Porter is R0.
    Ted