Criterion DVD vs. LD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc_E, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

I am looking to get the criterion Robocop and Spinal tap. In the case of spinal tap, I have decided on the LD because seeing the dvd is non-anamorphic and the LD is much cheaper on Ebay, it just makes more sense.

As far as robocop goes, they are both non-anamorphic and Doubly surround. Is the pic on the DVD significantly better than the LD that would make one more desirable over the other? Price seems to be about the same. I think the extras are the same.

Thanks

Marc_E

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

3. Matthew Kiernan

Matthew Kiernan Stunt Coordinator

I believe the LD had no trailers while the DVD did, which is why I opted for the Criterion DVD.

Good luck if you can find it.

4. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

I think the convenience of playing the DVD (no platter flips) is another major plus.

If I already didn't own the Criterion DVD, I would wait to see what the MGM SE is going to be like.

Doug

5. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Even when non-anamorphic, the DVD should be superior for lack of comb-filter issues and chroma noise (if compression is good enough not to add it's own set of problems).

BTW, I thought that Robocop was just (or is about to be) remastered in 16x9 anamorphic with 5.1 sound? I remember reading a whole article on it somewhere. Don't buy either till you make sure!!! (I held off from the original DVD for the same reason)

-dave

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    David,

The new MGM Robocop is indeed remastered 16x9 & DD5.1 as you described, but the Criterion is pretty darn good, and has some comprehensive supplements (extra few uncensored seconds, commentary, interactive "essay") that will likely be complemented, but not repeated, by the forthcoming MGM SE.

Regards,

7. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

The upcoming MGM SE will almost certainly contain the uncensored cut of the film. The UK R2 version of the film soon to be released does contain both cuts on the DVD using "seamless" branching. (minor pause inbetween branches)

However, it will not be 1.66:1, as mentioned before and won't contain the same fabulous audio commentary.

8. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Well then that answers it.
    If you like the movie (after all, isn't that what we're about first and foremost?) get the new 16x9 SE DVD.
    Then, if you want some fancy extras not on the disc, get the criterion laserdisc to compliment the DVD film.
    any questions?
    dave [​IMG]

9. John P Grosskopf

John P Grosskopf Second Unit

A direct comparrison of the Criterion DVD to LD yields that the LD and DVD are actually about equal in quality, only different in color balance.

The LD has a slight red shift which gives fleshtones a more natural look, but there is analogue picture haze in the darker and more saturated portions of the picture.

The DVD is more yellowish overall, and gives fleshtones a more washed-out appearance. Picture grain is greatly reduced, but compression artifacts in areas where one color covers a large area of the screen bear a stiking analogue to the above mentioned picture noise of ther LD.

These similarities are probably due to using the same master for each of the releases, and the noise in both pictures merely a by product of how each format builds the picture from similar information.

Soundwise, the LD kicks the DVD's ass, but you have to change the disc 3 times (2 if you have dual side reading player)to get through the whole thing.

The DVD gives you trailers, but not the super, most useless value-added extra ever put on a video presentation: The World Famous ROBOCOP IN TWO MINUTES VIDEO MONTAGE! (perhaps second in uselessness only to the VIRTUAL CATANA SWORD on the Highlander LD Special Edition).

Either is a good choice, only different. It really depends on how you use your system. If LD is only an afterthought, go with the DVD. If LD is still a big part of your home theater experience (major in my case), be brave and go with the LD (the packaging is nicer).

I've got both, so what the hell do I know?

John

10. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

One thing worth pointing out in regards to the Criterion Robocop laserdiscs: There were two! The CAV disc is indeed identical to the Criterion DVD in terms of supplements but the CLV disc contained no supplements(not even commentary), just the unrated cut of the film.
    -Lyle J.P.

11. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey

12. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Amoeba records had a Spinal Tap Crit LD on Friday for around $10 if anyone is interested.

They have a web site (I don't think they list LDS) but they do mail order

A great rental store (Le Video) dumped their entire LD collection off at amoeba (SF store at least)to sell off.

some great boxes etc.

fyi... email me if you have questions

good hunting

grant

13. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I don't get why we're even debating this given how simple the answer is:

1. Get the Criterion LD if you want the suppliments.

2. Get the *NEW* forth-coming SE DVD (16x9 and 5.1) from MGM when it emerges either way.

3. Don't even think about getting the current 4x3 lbxed 2.0 DD. Why would one even consider this with the SE in the works???

-dave