Criterion DVD Releases For May

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roderick Gauci, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Roderick Gauci

Roderick Gauci Stunt Coordinator

I have just come upon a great piece of news, via the Image Entertainment website: Criterion’s DVD releases for May include Henri-Georges Clouzot’s QUAI DES ORFEVRES (1947) and Akira Kurosawa’s THRONE OF BLOOD (1957). The specs for the two discs are as follows:

QUAI DES ORFEVRES

·New high-definition digital transfer
    ·Collection of intimate interview excerpts from French television with director Henri-Georges Clouzot and key actors from QUAI DES ORFEVRES
    ·Original theatrical trailer
    ·New and improved English subtitle translation

THRONE OF BLOOD

·New high-definition digital transfer
    ·Audio commentary by Japanese-film expert Michael Jeck
    ·Original theatrical trailer
    ·New essay by Stephen Prince (The Warrior's Camera: The Cinema of Akira Kurosawa)
    ·Two alternative subtitle translations: a new version from renowned Japanese-film translator Linda Hoagland, and Kurosawa expert Donald Richie's subtitles utilizing Jacobean diction
    ·Notes on subtitling by Linda Hoagland and Donald Richie
    · Optimal image quality: RSDL dual-layer edition

I have never watched the Clouzot film but it is considered to be one of his best, so I will certainly be purchasing it. I already own the Criterion editions of Clouzot’s two best-known films, WAGES OF FEAR (1953) and DIABOLIQUE (1954), and I heard that his LE CORBEAU (1943) – which I have watched - is also a possible candidate for a future Criterion title. I also hope that they may be able to get their hands on his excellent debut feature, L’ASSASSIN HABITE AU 21 (1941), which I have recorded off French TV.

I own a PAL VHS copy of THRONE OF BLOOD, one of Kurosawa’s greatest films and the best ever screen adaptation of Shakespeare’s MACBETH. The specs are very promising indeed, and it would be ideal to pick this one up along with Wellspring’s upcoming “Masterworks” edition of RAN (1985) – based on another Shakespeare play, KING LEAR. So far I own 3 Kurosawa films on DVD, all Criterion releases – RASHOMON (1950), SEVEN SAMURAI (1954) and RED BEARD (1965). There are still quite a few of his films which are still unavailable on R1 DVD, and I wish Criterion could release JUDO SAGA PARTS I & II (1943 & 1945), NO REGRETS FOR OUR YOUTH (1946), STRAY DOG (1949), IKIRU (1952), and the full-length versions of THE IDIOT (1951), THE BAD SLEEP WELL (1960), DODES’KA-DEN (1970) and KAGEMUSHA (1980).

2. Jon.C

Jon.C Auditioning

That's excellent! I've wanted Throne of Blood for some time. Would you mind providing me with a link? I couldn't find the May releases on there website.

thanks

3. ChuckDeLa

ChuckDeLa Cinematographer

Yes! Throne of Blood! Alternate subtitles... intriguing! I'm stoked!

Roderick: I believe Kagemusha is coming from another studio this year. Rumor has it that Criterion will eventually do Ikiru and/or Dodes'kaden.

4. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Would you guts recommend a sight-unseen purchase of the Throne of Blood?

5. Roderick Gauci

Roderick Gauci Stunt Coordinator

In my excitement at this news and my rush to post it I forgot to mention the two discs’ date of release – 05/27/03.

Quote (originally posted by Jon.C):

"That's excellent! I've wanted Throne of Blood for some time. Would you mind providing me with a link? I couldn't find the May releases on there website.

thanks"

I couldn't get a specific link myself but using the "Advanced Search" option and inputting the release date should do it!

Apart from this, going through the list of upcoming titles on the Image Entertainment website again, I found out that Criterion will also be releasing Derek Jarman’s JUBILEE (1978) on 05/13, with the following specs:

·Original documentary on Jarman and JUBILEE made by Jarman actor Spencer Leigh (CARAVAGGIO, THE LAST OF ENGLAND), featuring interviews with stars Jenny Runacre and Toyah Willcox, film historian Tony Rayns, production designer Christopher Hobbs, and filmmakers John Maybury (LOVE IS THE DEVIL) and Lee Drysdale (LEATHER JACKETS), with rare Super-8 clips and memorabilia from the film
    ·New high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director of photography Peter Middleton
    ·Peter Middleton’s scrapbook from the film illustrated with rare photos and notes
    ·Liner notes by Jarman biographer Tony Peake and cultural historian Jon Savage (England's Dreaming)
    ·English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired
    ·Optimal image quality: RSDL dual-layer edition

I’ve only watched bits and pieces from Jarman’s films and I can say that he’s not my cup of tea, but I’m sure he has his admirers – so I thought of posting this news here anyway!

6. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Matt Stone said:

7. Tim RH

Tim RH Second Unit

THRONE OF BLOOD?!? YES!!! FINALLY! I can't wait for this one. Definately in my Top 3 favorite Kurosawa films. A must-buy, IMHO. Thanks Roderick (and Criterion of course), you've just made my day! [​IMG]

8. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway

9. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Matt, you gotta let us know if foreign films, especially Kurosawa films, appeal to you. If so, then this is a no-brainer. I first got into Kurosawa sight-unseen and have never turned back. I own Rashomon, Red Beard, Seven Samurai, Yojimbo & Sanjuro (High and Low is on the "to buy" list) and bought all of those films on DVD without ever seeing them prior to purchase. Number of them that I have regretted buying sight-unseen? Zero.

10. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

Throne of Blood? FRICKIN INCREDIBLE NEWS!!!

I highly recommend this as a sight unseen purchase. It's an adaptation of Shakespeare's Macbeth, but taking place in Samurai-laden feudal Japan. It's magnificent!!

But wait....

Another Michael Jeck commentary? The man behind the phenomenal commentary on Seven Samurai?

*gasp*

oh my god... I just had one!
    :b

11. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I'm a big fan of foreign films, and Kurosawa films for that reason. It looks like I'll be picking this one up [​IMG]

12. Tim RH

Tim RH Second Unit

13. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

14. Kristoffer

Kristoffer Second Unit

Finally Throne of blood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes, Kurosawas 2nd best film after Seven Samurai[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
  16. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

Nice! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Kristoffer

Kristoffer Second Unit

Really like the cover !!! But i would love if they had used the picture were Mifune has all the arrows in him and is standing against the wall

18. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

Volker Schlondorff's Coup de Grace is also on its way. Click here for the cover.

I'm especially excited about Quai des Orfevre & Throne of Blood -- two absolutely great films...

Ted

19. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

20. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

Looks like Volker Schlondorff's Coup De Grace (1976) is also being released by Criterion on the 27th:

- New digital transfer
    - Enhanced for widescreen televisions
    - Video interview with director Volker Schlondorff and screenwriter/star Margarethe von Trotta
    - New and improved English subtitle translation

Oh yeah, Roderick, thanks for letting us know about these releases. It's nice to know of a way to find out about these things before the DVD news sites do.

EDIT: Beaten by both you guys! :b