Criterion: Defective "Fear and Loathing" 5.1 tracks!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lyle_JP, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

Forgive me for crossposting this, but since Studio and Manufacturer Feedback gets a lot less traffic than the Home Theater Software board, I thought I would re-post my concerns here to raise awareness for the problems with the new 5.1 mixes on the Fear and Loathing DVD. It is my hope that if enough of us ask Criterion (nicely, of course) to look into this, they will be encouraged to fix it.

What follows is my open letter to The Criterion Collection (which was also sent as an email to them from their website).

2. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Criterion are aware of the problem, but there's nothing they can really do. They are dependent on Universal for all their masters and elements, so if Universal provides something less than wonderful (The Scarlet Empress) or the occasional flub (like the F&L 5.1 soundtrack), it's sadly out of their hands.

3. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

Just shows the folly of remixing soundtracks IMOHO. I'm not sure if 'Fear and Loathing' was mixed with a 5.1 originally or not but the fact that the 2.0 track does include all the effects and the 'new' 5.1 tracks do not clearly show that some body decided to fiddle with the soundtrack to 'improve' it.

Always view with the orginal soundtrack people!

4. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

5. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

6. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

7. Daniel L

Daniel L Stunt Coordinator

Remeber... Never trust IMDB...

Fear and Lothing In Las Vegas was never released on LD in DD 5.1 in the stats & I never remember Image releasing a DTS LD of the film either.

Daniel L

8. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

The original DVD is DD2.0, so these are newly created tracks, otherwise I doubt Universal would have not included tracks that already existed.

Unfortunately, my disc shipped this morning, and I'm not too happy about having it be defective.

9. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

10. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

The logos for Dolby Digital, DTS, and SDDS can be seen in the film's credits, though I am told that this was because it was "standard practice" for Universal to affix these logos at the end of all credit crawls, and that Fear and Loathing was only Dolby SR in theaters.

-Lyle J.P.

11. Gregory E

Gregory E Second Unit

There is a thread over at DVDTalk about this topic. Someone got a response from Jon Mulvaney that said:

"The DD.51 and DTS tracks on FEAR AND LOATHING are indeed different than the 2.0 track (which is the original mix). The DD.51 and DTS tracks were provided to us by Universal, who made certain changes that could not be reversed.

Sorry for the confusion."

12. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

The transfer info in the booklet states:

13. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

I watched the film and didnt even notice the sounds missing...

14. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

If CC could not 'get' a "correct" soundtrack for this film, they should have NEVER released this title in 5.1.
    A black eye for them, on an otherwise stellar release (Dr. Thompson's commentary track is priceless!).
    But, no where near as catastrophic, as their 'refusal' too release anamorphic titles, for what, two or three years!
    So, that collector's are sure to have too re-purchase all of their early widescreen CC titles.

15. muskie

muskie Agent

I also bought this DVD and watched it with a friend for the first time since I saw it in the theaters. I thought it was brilliant, just like before. Never even noticed the sound track problems. In fact I thought some of the trippy sound effects were cool, voices all around your head in one scene.

I haven't had time to watch all the special stuff. I did watch the second disk to the Royal Tannenbaums. I wasn't blown away by those extras.

Muskie

16. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell