What's new

Criterion Chat? (1 Viewer)

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Jim,
Here's some news about the Region 2 (UK) version of the "O' Brother" concert:
http://www.dvddebate.com/r2news.php#...0In%20November
It also explains why the UK is getting a second version of the film, with all the extras of the R1 version, and some exclusive footage of its own! I imagine the announcement of a new, Super-Special R1 edition can only be weeks away... sigh!

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I was hoping to ask about The Fifth Element but didn't get the chance. I heard a rumour of that somewhere. Does anyone know?
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
I wish Criterion had gotten a chance to obtain the DVD rights to Black Christmas (a perfect horror film for the Criterion Collection to pick up...and it's a Canadian film by the way) before whoever is doing the US disc got them.
I still wish they'd get The Hills Have Eyes. No one seems to know who owns the rights. I wonder what the deal is? After my past e-mails to them regarding this title, they've evidently looked into obtaining it, since their answer in the chat regarding it involved a "problem with the rights." I wish they'd expanded more on this.
[Edited last by Wes Ray on October 24, 2001 at 04:00 PM]

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Why should the ydo The Fifth Element? Besson won't do extras for it
I want to know why in all this time they haven't even called Disney to ask about sub-licensing the Miyazaki films
Jeff Kleist

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
I also wanted to ask why there are no Canadian titles in the Collection...
In addition the the Maddin films, I would LOVE to see Criterion put out Jean-Claude Lauzon's hauntingly beautiful French Canadian film Leolo...an absolutely stunning film!

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
Sweet Man Bites Dog is coming sometime in the future? That is good news I have seen this movie once and thought that it was really obscure. A must own for me.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
A must-own for me as well, Joshua. I've only been able to watch it on VHS to this point, and my tape won't be able to withstand many more viewings (surprise, surprise).
------------------
HTFsig.jpg

He obviously misinterpreted what it means to "be bullish."

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
I'm certainly tickled pink to hear Peter Becker proclaim Criterion's commitment to this much-neglected title; after some initial false impressions by yours truly that they did not own the rights after all.
Film elements are a problem, as 21-mins. of the film's original 106-mins. running time were long ago removed from source prints by RKO for rerelease; now existing only on 16mm. The 35mm bits still look, for the most part, excellent, on the Criterion LD and Home Vision VHS. The 16mm vary between bad and horrific, and are in desperate need of restoration. Hopefully, Criterion's digital enhancement program can clean-up and sharpen the audio and visuals.
This highly imaginative, folksy spin on the oft-told Faust legend is perhaps a definitive example of the direction American films could've taken had World War II not put cinematic narrative advancements on long hiatus after the revolution of Citizen Kane. Beyond its superficial story of a man selling his soul to the Devil for seven years of good luck, D&DW's theme of putting America on trial at this pivotal and Red-baiting time in our nation's history can now be seen as daring; and, perhaps, borderline subversive.
With its virtuoso direction (William Dieterle, who also produced); expressionistic visuals and imaginative sound; Academy-Award winning Bernard Herrmann score; witty script (co-authored by Stephen Vincent Benet, the original, award-winning, short-story's author); editing pyrotechnics (Robert Wise); and the marvellous, malevolent performance of Walter Huston (AA nom), who set the model for the lip-smacking menace seen in countless incarnations of the Prince of Darkness ever since;--with its rich, phantasmagoric brew of humor and the macbre, I am hard pressed to think of a title more deserving of Criterion DVD release. :)
------------------
The Devil & Daniel Webster (1941)
webster.gif
"Cinema is simply letting the audience fill in the blanks." - David Lean.

Cary

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, the answer's real simple - some studios have a basic policy that they don't license their films period. Disney is one of them. I would think that Columbia is another (so don't hold your breath on The Fifth Element, which I believe Columbia has already mentioned as a future se). The Warner chat confirmed that they won't either.
On the other hand, it's clear that Universal will license films that they don't think they can make a profit on, or at least not at this time.
There is one exception to the no licensing rule - that's when a director or producer with a lot of pull insists, or better yet, has written into his contract, that they want Criterion to produce a special DVD version. A perfect example would be Michael Bay and Armaggedon - but even then the DVD came out quite a bit after the regular version, and was priced quite a bit higher, relegating it to the niche collectors.
For good or bad, Criterion has to mainly work with the films that are not owned by the large US studios. Personally, that's fine by me, because there's an entire world of fantastic movies out there that they can release.

Matthew Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Doesn't Disney license films to Anchor Bay (Never Cry Wolf, Black Hole, etc.)? Maybe this is different, but I assume there's a precedent here.
Also, another vote for more Von Trier Criterion releases.
[Edited last by Matthew Watson on October 24, 2001 at 09:39 PM]

Carrol M

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed there was no mention of the affore mentioned Rules of the Game, has anyone heard any time table for release?
Also, there was no mention of any Ozu titles. I know Floating Weeds is in their Home Vision Cinema catalog, I always assumed it might be around the corner, anyone know anything since it wasn't mentioned?
Hopefully someone has written to Mulvaney recently and has an answer on these two specific titles.
Carrol M

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
A perfect example would be Michael Bay and Armaggedon
Not really a perfect example, since Buena Vista is the only other major studio besides Universal that regularly licenses out their titles, albeit less frequently. Other non-Michael Bay Buena Vista Criterion ventures include Chasing Amy and Rushmore. Buena Vista has also licensed several live-action Disney titles to Anchor Bay including The Black Hole, The Happiest Millionaire, Candleshoe, and numerous others.
Probably the most encouraging news for me was that Criterion is at least having discussions with Artisan on some titles. If a successful relationship develops, there may be hope for Criterion titles from the Republic catalog.
Regards.
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Carrol M

Stunt Coordinator
That is very true, in fact speaking of Republic titles...High Noon was mentioned.
Artisan owns other films like The Quiet Man, as well...
Would be good to add some John Ford to the collection.
I still wanna know what happened to Rules of the Game...
sightandsound

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
hmmm. Just a thought, but since Criterion has a good relationship with Buena Vista, what are the odds of seeing an Attack of the Killer Tomatoes Criterion Collection disc eventually get made?

Trevor_N

Auditioning
With its virtuoso direction (William Dieterle, who also produced); expressionistic visuals and imaginative sound; Academy-Award winning Bernard Herrmann score; witty script (co-authored by Stephen Vincent Benet, the original, award-winning, short-story's author); editing pyrotechnics (Robert Wise); and the marvellous, malevolent performance of Walter Huston (AA nom), who set the model for the lip-smacking menace seen in countless incarnations of the Prince of Darkness ever since;--with its rich, phantasmagoric brew of humor and the macbre, I am hard pressed to think of a title more deserving of Criterion DVD release.

Well, Agee, this certainly is not the first time that I wholeheartedly agree with your analysis and anticipation of certain films. I've been waiting for Criterion to release The Devil and Daniel Webster ever since they started doing DVDs. I was trying to secure the Criterion Laserdisc copy, but now my VHS copy will just have to do for a little bit longer.
By the way, I thought Huston performance was much more mischievous in nature (with malevolent undertones) His performance is one of my favorites captured on film. I tend to interpret his presence not so much as an evil threat, but more as a reminder to be true to yourself. The final image of him is delicious, don’t you think?
I am also very much looking forward to the Mizoguchi films. Hopefully, they will include restored versions of Ugetsu and Sansho Dayu.
------------------
There are many great color movies, but there are only B/W masterpieces - Trevor ;-)
[Edited last by Trevor_N on October 25, 2001 at 12:26 PM]

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Does anyone know what could possibly be on the Monterey Pop set, as far as musical acts? I know it was the place where Jimi Hendrix got big by setting his guitar on fire, but I don't remember who else played there. This release has got me really excited!!
-Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks