Criterion Brazilian clones?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AlbertAgullo, Sep 10, 2002.

1. AlbertAgullo

AlbertAgullo Agent

I've found this site: www.dvdcontinental.com.br with some interesting material (and spanish subtitles!!!!).
    Stop me if you've heard this before but I've seen suspicious coincidences with Criterion Material (Check "Cleo from 5 to 7", the Tati films or the J. Cocteau films).
    Anyone knows about this or is just a coincidence?
    Regards

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

It would appear that the cover art for the Tati films is a direct rip-off from Criterion. On the other hand, the cover art from films such as Autumn Sonata and Seven Samurai have cover art not related to the Criterion versions at all. The cover art for the Cocuteau films is a bit mixed. B&B is nothing like the Criterion version, while I find the Orphic trilogy to be reminiscent of the Criterion cover art.

The brief descriptions of the DVDs did not appear to include any of the Criterion extras, regardless of whether or not they had copied the cover art. Of course this does not mean that the extras were not present and to be honest my ability to read Português and Español is sadly lacking and limited.

For sure the non-English subtitles are not Criterion.

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I wouldn't be surprised if they are bootlegs. You could always email Criterion whether they know any thing about them.