What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (1 Viewer)

larryKR

Stunt Coordinator
I will get THIEF and RIFIFI in January.Can anyone tell me if Criterion still has the rights to Melville's LE SAMOURAI? I have the dvd but sure would like it on BD.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
They do, but the French BD of it is a DNR mess. Criterion rejected those elements for a Blu so it will have to be redone before they release anything.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
larryKR said:
Can anyone tell me if Criterion still has the rights to Melville's LE SAMOURAI? I have the dvd but sure would like it on BD.
I believe so. It was one of their last DVD-only releases and is still being sold through their website. Hopefully it does happen as I'm a big admirer of this film.

Moe Dickstein said:
They do, but the French BD of it is a DNR mess. Criterion rejected those elements for a Blu so it will have to be redone before they release anything.
Thanks, that's certainly a good reason for its delay on blu-ray. If they get to do an in-house HD transfer in the near future, needless to say I'll be very pleased.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Moe Dickstein said:
Newsletter clue for Harold Lloyd's "The Freshman"
Here it is for those who don't get the newsletter:

wackydog.jpg

Looking forward to it.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Image out, Sony in..."Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and Criterion Nov. 4 said they have signed a multi-year distribution and administrative deal. Under terms of the agreement, Sony will handle distribution, replication, inventory management, shipping and accounts receivable for Criterion.David Bishop, president of SPHE, said Criterion’s 30-year legacy of delivering important classic and contemporary films into the home entertainment market is buttressed by the exacting standards each Blu-ray Disc and DVD release must meet.“This is why SPHE is honored that Criterion has chosen to partner with us to ensure its future legacy by duplicating and efficiently distributing products equal to the high standards it demands,” Bishop said.The Criterion Collection features more than 150 movies. Each film is presented uncut, in its original aspect ratio, as its filmmaker intended it to be seen. Criterion uses state-of-the-art telecine equipment and select colorists during the film-to-video digital transfer, according to CEO Jonathan Turell.Whenever possible, Criterion works with the original directors and cinematographers to ensure that the look of the releases does justice to their intentions.Turell said Criterion’s bonus material enables viewers to appreciate the films in context, through audio commentaries by filmmakers and scholars, restored director’s cuts, deleted scenes, documentaries, shooting scripts, early shorts and storyboards.“We’re proud to release many great films from Sony’s library in Criterion and very much look forward to continuing our long relationship,” Turell said. “We think they are an ideal partner as we look forward to expanding our direct relationships with our key customers.”

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Doesn't mean anything really. Just interesting to those who follow the business end of things. That's why he Jan Amazon preorders were delayed

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I hope that distribution deal only leads to one positive sooner, I hope a matter of life and death shows quicker, because of this.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
February is up, and it looks like a good month!

Jules & Jim

Blue Is The Warmest Colour

Foreign Correspondent

Fantastic Mr. Fox

Breathless

King of the Hill

Tess

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I thought we'd see "Life Aquatic" before "Fantastic Mr. fox", but I'm still in for it. "King of the Hill" is a HUGE surprise and a must buy for me. One of Soderbergs greatest films.

I'm also in for "Tess", "Blue" and "Foreign Correspondent", Feb is another expensive Criterion month for me!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Just so everyone knows - Blue Is the Warmest Color is barebones and will have a feature-laden release at a future time, while Breathless is simply a dual-format repackaging of the previous separate DVD and Blu-ray releases.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Woah, "The Underneath" by Soderberg is thrown in as a bonus on "King of the Hill"! I love you Criterion Collection!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Brandon Conway said:
Just so everyone knows - Blue Is the Warmest Color is barebones and will have a feature-laden release at a future time, while Breathless is simply a dual-format repackaging of the previous separate DVD and Blu-ray releases.
Good to know on "Blue", I might hold off then and save some cash.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Meh, good month for me since I wont spend money for a change.Whats the word on March

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Criterion, I could kiss you!

Not only did they Announce Nashville and IAMMMMW, but this month we get NOT ONE but TWO BEST PICTURE NOMINEES!

Foreign Correspondant and Tess!

I'm so happy I could cry!!!

Three months in a row, Criterion has made me jump for joy!

YAY!!

I would have bought Blue Is, but being barebones, (Why???) I won't.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks