What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (1 Viewer)

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Rialto has the theatrical rights to ESCAPE via their deal with StudioCanal, but MGM still has the home video rights.

I'd think that ROBOCOP would be a big enough seller for them that they'd jump at the chance to get it again (it is something that could be improved in both audio/video and special features), but with the remake coming (next year?) I imagine that MGM wouldn't want to license it out.

They apparently decided to not reacquire SILENCE because they felt they couldn't improve on the special feature of the MGM SE. I have to imagine that they know that it can, and should, look better than the current Blu.

In Criterion news, Nicolas Winding Refn stopped by the closet

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'd be surprised if we ever saw Robocop from Criterion again. The main draw, other then being Criterion, was it was the only way to get the unrated cut. Now that cut is available for $8 in the bargain bins. The market is flush, I doubt an independent would make money on it.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
About two weeks ago Yuko Shimizu posted this on her facebook page and on instagram
971139_10152992249400291_815684553_n.jpg

On Yuko Shimizu's instagram page, Caitlin Kuhwald commented
I'm doing one too!
icon_wink.gif

About 5 days ago artist Andrew MacLean posted this
tumblr_mq1e0aJCw41r2bc14o1_500.jpg

Yesterday artist Ricardo Venâncio posted this
tumblr_mqdxabKuxR1qgsdp6o1_500.jpg

and today a member of the criterion forum pointed out this drawing by Polly Guo
tumblr_mqeru4zJCN1rzbpp3o1_1280.png

which originally had this note: "an unused illustration for a Zatoichi film series boxset for the Criterion Collection"

So, Criterion is working on a ZATOICHI box set and, it seems, has hired a different artist for every film. Ricardo Venâncio said on twitter that his is #7 ZATOICHI'S FLASHING SWORD and Andrew MacLean said his is #22 ZATOICHI MEETS THE ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN (which means Criterion has picked up the 7 Zatoichi films that AnimEigo used to have.)

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Other than COME BACK TO THE FIVE AND DIME, JIMMY DEAN, JIMMY DEAN, I think that NASHVILLE would be my next favorite Altman film to receive the Criterion treatment. Hope it happens!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Moe Dickstein said:
Speulation is that the latest newsletter clue is a "Grand Ole Osprey", which means Nashville.
Oh I hope so! I truly hope so. I saw NASHVILLE in its original theatrical release and hated it. I was thinking it was going to be more like M*A*S*H. When the DVD was released I gave it another spin and fell in love with it. I still watch it about once a year and marvel at the acting. Keenan Wynn was awesome in his role as was everyone.I'm sure this does not mean TENTACLES. :)

Cine_Capsulas

Second Unit
Real Name
Patrick
Talk about a movie that needs a better digital rendering. I consider Nashville to be the top film of its year and the old DVD, while watchable, does not do this masterpiece enough justice.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
ahollis said:
Oh I hope so! I truly hope so. I saw NASHVILLE in its original theatrical release and hated it. I was thinking it was going to be more like M*A*S*H. When the DVD was released I gave it another spin and fell in love with it. I still watch it about once a year and marvel at the acting. Keenan Wynn was awesome in his role as was everyone. I'm sure this does not mean TENTACLES. :)
While I didn't hate it, I did not find it much to my liking on first view. But, on a lark, I entered a contest to win the soundtrack LP and won. After listening to those songs, I grew to love them, and the next time I had a chance to see Nashville, I finally "got" it, and now it's a great favorite of mine.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
In yet another installment of "DVD Beaver Vs. The Rest of the Internet", Tooze calls The Earrings of Madame De... "gorgeous, thick, rich and film-like" (yeah, three straight Tooze-isms in one sentence, a new record) whereas the Criterion Forum guy slams it for DNR and boosting.

Very peculiar.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
as Does RAH, but he finds the problems in the realm of acceptable. This time around it's a sort of filtering they talk about, a version of what happened with Children of Paradise. It seems the French can't be trusted with their own classics.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Just in case anyone cares what it looks like to see a (nearly) complete collection, here's a pic: This is short just 6 discs, one of which I have on the way and two of which I am waiting on the Blu upgrades (one announced, one imminent). It's the top 4 rows, and the right shelf on the 5th row.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation625
Recent bookmarks