What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (2 Viewers)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Does anyone know how many MGM titles Criterion was able to license? I thought I remembered hearing 10, but it's been so long ago that I've forgotten.
I am still holding out hope for Annie Hall. :D

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Criterion's first MGM deal (which they did in exchange for the Raging Bull commentary) was for 5 titles: Salo, House of Games, and Pasolini's Trilogy of Life and then they did another deal for around 2-dozen titles, of which they've released 12:
The Fugitive Kind
Paths of Glory
The Night of the Hunter
Sweet Smell of Success
Kes
Blow Out
Something Wild
Kiss Me Deadly
The Killing
Killer's Kiss
Cul-de-sac
12 Angry Men

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
You don't know what the others are, do you?
I'm looking for some Woody Allen on Blu-ray Disc: Annie Hall, Manhattan, and Crimes and Misdemeanors top the list.
Steve W

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Word is that there is no Woody Allen, Bergman or Truffaut. Some rumored MGM titles include:
Heavens Gate
Red River
Ghost World
Thief
Love Streams
Satyricon
Burn
French Lieutenant's Woman
Obviously, until these are officially announced by Criterion we wont know if these are really the films they licensed. For example, B]Park Row[/B] was one of the rumored titles, but MGM released that on their MoD program, so I don't think a Criterion of that is happening.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Derrick King /t/272151/criterion-announces-first-blu-ray-titles/900#post_3845253
Word is that there is no Woody Allen, Bergman or Truffaut. Some rumored MGM titles include:
Heavens Gate
Red River
Ghost World
Thief
Love Streams
Satyricon
Burn
French Lieutenant's Woman
Obviously, until these are officially announced by Criterion we wont know if these are really the films they licensed. For example, B]Park Row[/B] was one of the rumored titles, but MGM released that on their MoD program, so I don't think a Criterion of that is happening.
Of these, the one that is most probable is Red River. There have been several insiders that have plainly stated Criterion is working on it.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
I firmly think that Red river is a much better Wayne film than Stagecoach,but still not as good as The searchers.
I love it when the Duke himself becomes obssessed and turns into the bad guy somewhat.
I can hardly wait till it comes out.
Last time i watched it,i bought it off of Itunes.Yeeessshhhh.
And watched it on my ipod touch.Something i said many times i would never ever do.
Guess when you need your fix....

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I firmly think that Red river is a much better Wayne film than Stagecoach,but still not as good as The searchers.
I love it when the Duke himself becomes obssessed and turns into the bad guy somewhat.
I can hardly wait till it comes out.
Agreed. I love watching Black & White classics in High Definition and I would be very happy to see Red River released on Blu-Ray.
- Walter.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
According to the Criterion Forum, during a talk at the Wexner Center, Criterion confirmed/teased that they are going to be releasing the following (obviously no release dates given):
* Apu Trilogy
* Anatomy of a Murder
* Hollis Frampton set
* a Hal Ashby film
* Shallow Grave
As for January's titles , they are going to announce Belle de Jour, Moment Of Truth, (they've teased the artwork for these two) and (probably) Godzilla tomorrow

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
Derrick King said:
According to the Criterion Forum, during a talk at the Wexner Center, Criterion confirmed/teased that they are going to be releasing the following (obviously no release dates given):
Ah, so you are in Columbus also? Cool! I had to work tonight preparing for the iPhone 4S launch or I would've been at the Wexner as well.
Oh, wait, never mind. You said it was someone from the Criterion Forum who was at the Wex. Oh well... So hard to find an real classic film fans here in Columbus, OH.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by eric scott richard /t/272151/criterion-announces-first-blu-ray-titles/900#post_3860513
Does anyone know when City Lights and The Gold Rush could be released?
They confirmed that The Gold Rush is the next Chaplin to be released at the Wex tonight. My guess is that if it's not in January's list of titles it'll be February or March.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
So hard to find an real classic film fans here in Columbus, OH.
Ouch. We feel your pain, Chuck!
At least I can say I was weaned on a few of the classics as a kid in Columbus.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by Chas in CT /t/272151/criterion-announces-first-blu-ray-titles/930#post_3860574
Ouch. We feel your pain, Chuck!
At least I can say I was weaned on a few of the classics as a kid in Columbus.
same here , oh the days of the early show with Flippo and night with Fritz the Night Owl, Creepy Classics on channel 4, saturdays were great counter programing days, and occasional theater runs,

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Anybody know what the hell is holding up Criterion's release of THE GAME? I'm going out of my mind over here every month that they don't announce it.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
MattAlbie60 said:
Anybody know what the hell is holding up Criterion's release of THE GAME? I'm going out of my mind over here every month that they don't announce it.
From what I can gather, it's been David Fincher's availability (or lack thereof) to color-correct and approve the transfer. I'm pretty sure it's going to happen, but probably not until next summer, alas.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Would absolutely go insane if Criterion gave Nicolas and Alexandra the Bluray treatment. One of my very favorite films of all time.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Chuck Pennington said:
Ah, so you are in Columbus also? Cool! I had to work tonight preparing for the iPhone 4S launch or I would've been at the Wexner as well.
Oh, wait, never mind. You said it was someone from the Criterion Forum who was at the Wex. Oh well... So hard to find an real classic film fans here in Columbus, OH.
I'm in So Cal. I think the people on the forum were watching a live stream of the Wexner Center talk.
It seems the Ashby is Harold and Maude, so, hopefully, we'll get another round of Paramount titles.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
From Criterions website. January 2012.
97ccff4c_Godzilla.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks