What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (1 Viewer)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
dana martin said:
blu ray.com has hinted that Criterion had something large from toho possibly in the works
They have acquired the original Godzilla aka Gojira. Tidbits of info have begun flooding all the horror forums.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
yep i know, they have it on the HULU site as well, really blu is jumping in to its golden age, and at this point i would hope that any one thinking of this as just another damn monster movie take a long hard look at the japaneese cut, for what it is, one of the greatest antiwar films ever made,

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Obviously an uncut/restored/remastered King Kong Vs. Godzilla with both cuts would crap my pants but this news... HO-LY CRAP.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
i was actualy considering importing the toho disc from japan, and well rosetta stone my way thru it, but i dont know how well that would have worked out

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
elDomenechHTF said:
They have acquired the original Godzilla aka Gojira. Tidbits of info have begun flooding all the horror forums.
Pardon my language. This is how I feel right now upon hearing this......
2d9f5204_fuck-yeah.jpeg

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Haha yeah that's pretty epic. Some great news coming out of Criterion, and I'm glad to see that they're still able to find a business model in the Blu Ray world.
The only better news for me would be if Criterion got the rights to do the Star Wars OOT with Robert Harris on board as restorer. :D
Joe Fisher said:
Pardon my language. This is how I feel right now upon hearing this......
2d9f5204_fuck-yeah.jpeg

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
For all you Godzilla fans you'll DEF wanna read this ,every word of it,and prepare the REMI MARTIN
http://augustragone.blogspot.com/2011/08/criterion-finds-us-version-of-godzilla.html

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The article generates tremendous excitement and with crossed fingers, one hopes that this "get" will lead to something truly special. It's certainly heading to the right hands.

Brisby

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Knaus
Um, pardon me, but what's wrong with the Classic Media release of Godzilla? Both cuts of the film with their own commentaries and solid transfers. I don't really see what else could be added.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Brisby said:
Um, pardon me, but what's wrong with the Classic Media release of Godzilla? Both cuts of the film with their own commentaries and solid transfers. I don't really see what else could be added.
The transfer of the 1954 version is anything but solid. There is more dirt, specks. hairlines cracks and film imperfections then I could shake a stick at. It needs a full restoration, and no one better then Criterion to do it.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
Brisby said:
The Blu-ray transfer is notoriously awful. It's 1080i, full of combing, and basically just a DVD upconvert. The American version is from a 30-year-old master. Criterion is doing new 1080p transfers and will surely include more thoughtful supplements.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
While their DVD was acceptable, Classic Media's Gojira Blu-ray looks terrible and it doesn't have Godzilla, King of the Monsters. So there is definite room for improvement.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by montrealfilmguy /t/272151/criterion-announces-first-blu-ray-titles/900#post_3844407
of course,in a utopian world,we would eventually get a Criterion Destroy all monsters too.
TokyoShock is releasing it on Blu in October.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks