What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Edwin-S
I'm sorry to hear that they got their hands on "Paths of Glory". The quality of their discs are good, but I can't justify or afford paying 50 dollars for a movie......no matter how good it is.
It'll retail at $39.95 (DVD and Blu-ray) and will be on amazon.com for $25-30. Who's paying $50?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Who pays $25-30? Last November I was paying $14 for every $40 msrp Bd title. Another sale like that is just around the corner.
As with just about anything other than mega popular loss leaders, if you have to have it immediately after it's released you are going to pay more for it than if you wait patiently for a sale-Criterion discs especially.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
It'll retail at $39.95 (DVD and Blu-ray) and will be on amazon.com for $25-30. Who's paying $50?
At FutureShop you can bet that it will be retailing for 40 bucks. With GST and PST (soon to be the HST), the cost will be at least 45 bucks. Amazon.com sounds like a deal, but by the time they add shipping, exchange and their 5 dollar surcharge for Canadian orders, the cost isn't any better than buying at a Canadian B&M. I've looked at Amazon.ca and their prices are exactly the same as a Canadian B&M (a lot of times even worse) so there is no point in ordering from them. I find that Criterions are some of the most expensive discs out there, not counting the box o' junk editions from WB. The last purchase Criterion purchase I bought was around 65 bucks. That was the Yojimbo/Sanjuro boxset. I justified that purchase by rationalizing that I was at least getting both films so the per film cost was around 30 bucks.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Are there anymore details, or word, on the rumors of The Thin Red Line, Videodrome, Darjeeling Limited, Antichrist, and Seven Samurai coming to BD via Criterion in the next several months?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by JoshB
Are there anymore details, or word, on the rumors of The Thin Red Line, Videodrome, Darjeeling Limited, Antichrist, and Seven Samurai coming to BD via Criterion in the next several months?
The Thin Red Line, Antichrist and Seven Samurai had already been confirmed as coming soon even before these latest amazon.com postings. The other two (and Charade) hadn't been rumored, but two are already part of the collection, so it wouldn't be all that surprising.

felipenor

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
The Thin Red Line, Antichrist and Seven Samurai had already been confirmed as coming soon even before these latest amazon.com postings. The other two (and Charade) hadn't been rumored, but two are already part of the collection, so it wouldn't be all that surprising.
Criterion has already confirmed all these titles will be coming on blu-ray.

felipenor

Stunt Coordinator
Where can I find these $5 off coupons?

Originally Posted by Paul_Scott
I suppose this is as good a place as any to remind people in the US, that Barnes & Noble should be having a couple of sales this summer- a Buy 2 Get 1 sale in June and a Criterion 50% off sale in July. The $5 off coupons are already available and run through July 25. For anyone not familiar with the sale in the past, using the $5 coupon , along with a member discount, you can get $40 Criterions for $13 (+ tax). If you can't wait till July, the B2G1 sale will average out to $22 for each $40 msrp title.
I've been chomping at the bit to pick up Days Of Heaven and Bigger Than Life (not to mention the upcoming Walkabout), but for those kinds of discounts, I'm willing to bide my time.
Of course things could change, but the sales have been verbally confirmed for the summer by several different store managers.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by felipenor
Where can I find these $5 off coupons?
Just google for "Barnes and Noble coupon", and you should find them. Here's one site that's been listing most of the ones I've seen in the past year (though there's no mention of portal sites like GSA or Bing.com etc):

http://www.dealigg.com/story-Barnes-Noble-coupons-Barnes-Noble-Coupon-Code

You could also try forum sites like fatwallet.com where people post to long running threads on this stuff.

_Man_

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Breathless Blu-ray in the works, per latest Newsletter clue:

91451a02_wacky50th.jpg

ccfixx

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by felipenor
I thought Breathless belonged to Studio Canal now.

For certain regions, sure, but Criterion's license for releasing "Breathless" doesn't come from Studio Canal. I'm not sure who Criterion's license is from but it could be Rialto, mk2, or Genius.

Just like Studio Canal released a blu-ray for "Last Year At Marienbad," Criterion hasn't lost the licensing rights to that film, either, because their license is from Rialto Pictures.

CC

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Their dvd releases for August are much better. In particular, Three Silent Classics by Josef von Sternberg (Underworld, The Last Command, and The Docks of New York), which they confirmed they do not have the rights to release on Blu-ray, and Eclipse Series 23: The First Films of Akira Kurosawa (Sanshiro Sugata; The Most Beautiful; Sanshiro Sugata, Part Two; and The Men Who Tread on the Tiger’s Tail)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
they probably licensed the films a couple years ago when bluray licensing was uncommon or not done, or they licensed them recently and Universal has a no exceptions policy that no titles are licensed on blu, ever. it's probably why we won't see a blu criterion Brazil.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The Von Sternberg silents are licensed from Paramount. According to Jeff at criterionforum.org (who is VERY reliable), the 14 Paramount titles licensed by Criterion in 2007 were for DVD only (makes sense, as Criterion's first Blu-rays were not until Fall of 2008). Criterion was able to later negotiate a deal for Days of Heaven as a unique supplemental license, but apparently that wasn't exactly a simple matter. In any case, considering how scarce Paramount deep catalog titles (especially silents) are on DVD, this release is excellent news, Blu or no Blu.

For those keeping track, the other 10 Paramount licensed titles are:

If....
Ace in the Hole
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
The Naked Prey
The Furies
The Spy Who Came in From the Cold
White Dog
The Friends of Eddie Coyle
Downhill Racer
The Wedding March (yet to get released)

Curious Case of Benjamin Button was a separate unique agreement, I believe.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Adam_S
they probably licensed the films a couple years ago when bluray licensing was uncommon or not done, or they licensed them recently and Universal has a no exceptions policy that no titles are licensed on blu, ever. it's probably why we won't see a blu criterion Brazil.
I don't know about BRAZIL, but Criterion already confirmed that they will be releasing VIDEODROME and CHARADE on Blu-Ray. So some Universal titles are in play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks