What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Adam_S /forum/thread/272151/criterion-announces-first-blu-ray-titles/690#post_3688351
Not Always, 400 Blows, For All Mankind. and Seventh Seal have a Bluray MSRP 39.99, but a SD DVD MSRP 29.99
To be fair, the Bluray Monterey Pop is 10$ less than the SDDVD
I think that's because the DVDs for those three also had re-releases around or at the same time, so they discounted the DVDs to encourage people without Blu-ray players to re-purchase the remasters on DVD. But I may be wrong. Howards End as well, though the DVD came out a few months later and was mainly to satisfy DVD spine # enthusiasts.
I also remembered that Benjamin Button is also $5 more on Blu ($39.95 BD, $34.95 DVD), but I suspect that is a Paramount licensing requirement.
So, nearly always, with $39.95 being the standard price of a 1-disc Blu-ray, which is also the usual price for a 2-disc or loaded 1-disc Criterion DVD.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by dana martin /forum/thread/272151/criterion-announces-first-blu-ray-titles/690#post_3688426
i am intrested in what they are picking up from mgm, i wish they would release that info soon
I suspect we'll only learn what titles they officially picked up when the releases are announced. Until then educated guesses are probably the best we'll be able to do.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Luisito34 /forum/thread/272151/criterion-announces-first-blu-ray-titles/690#post_3688327
I assume BD box sets will be priced higher than the DVD counterpart, though?
Actually, they've been the same as well, or in the case of The Complete Monterey Pop Festival, $10 less.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway /forum/thread/272151/criterion-announces-first-blu-ray-titles/690#post_3688441
I suspect we'll only learn what titles they officially picked up when the releases are announced. Until then educated guesses are probably the best we'll be able to do.
well Red River is rumored, as well as 2 Kubrick's The Killing and Paths of Glory, but i wonder if the would have a chance of Carpenter's Escape From New York, would love to see what they could do with that.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Here is the list of "confirmed" MGM titles that I got from one of the Criterion forums (I can't find the post anymore, so I don't know if they were asked to take it down or if some of it is wrong, but I present it here for entertainment purposes only)

1. FUGITIVE KIND (Sidney Lumet) [already announced, due out at the end of the month]
2. PATHS OF GLORY (Stanley Kubrick)
3. THE KILLING (Stanley Kubrick)
4. KILLER'S KISS (Stanley Kubrick)
5. CUL DE SAC (Roman Polanski) There are rights issues that need to be sorted out before this film can be released.
6. LOVE STREAMS (John Cassavettes) There are rights issues that need to be sorted out before this film can be released
7. PARK ROW (Samuel Fuller)
8. SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS (Alexander McKendrick)
9. RED RIVER (Howard Hawks)
10. KISS ME DEADLY (Robert Aldrich)
11. SATYRICON (Federico Fellini)
12. BURN (Gilo Portocovo)
13. KES (Ken Loach)
14. FRENCH LIEUTENANT'S WOMAN (Karel Reiscz)
15. NIGHT OF THE HUNTER (Charles Laughton)
16. SOMETHING WILD (Jonathan Demme)
17. ???
18. ???
19. ???
20. ???
21. ???
22. ???
23. ???
24. ???

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I also remember that there was also a strong, almost confirmed response on Criterion's Facebook late last year in regards to The Black Stallion.

The Misfits has also been rumored, though I believe the rumors for it have been considered less reliable.

Personally, if true, from that list I'll purchase:

The Black Stallion
Paths of Glory
The Killing
Sweet Smell of Success
Kiss Me Deadly
Red River

So I can only hope all of them on released on Blu.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
According to this post www.criterionforums.com/forums/index.php THE BLACK STALLION isn't happening.

Over at criterionforum.org, there is someone who, I think, works at MGM and he said that he has seen the list and all he would confirm is that it included no films from the Goldwyn library, no Bergman films, and no Truffaut films.

Also, it should be noted that separate from this deal, Criterion has licensed Pasolini's Trilogy of Life.

Apart from the MGM stuff, but there is one other rumor of note over at criterionforum.org and that is that the upcoming Josef von Sternberg set might get released on Blu-Ray.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
if that list is remotely true,
/img/vbsmilies/htf/banana.gif
the 3 Kubrick's
Red River
Night of the Hunter
Sweet Smell of Success
17-24 has me intrigued though, if Goldwin is out, i wonder if AIP titles are in that mix, or older UA titles like 12 Angry Men, The Apartment, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, and Mad Max

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
HOLY *!~%&!@&
Night of the Hunter on Criterion!!! Maybe, we'll finally see the like of the on-set documentary that was released a few years ago, but only shown in a handful of theaters.
PLUS the two best Kubrick movies - "Paths of Glory" & "The Killing" are easily my favorites of his and to have them on Criterion would be amazing.
.......and one of Howard Hawks' best films toooo!!
This better not be an Internet prank!!!
/img/vbsmilies/htf/drum.gif

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Criterion and AIP? It's a nice dream. Well, if they released Armageddon then I suppose anything is possible :). A Criterion version of Something Wild would be very nice, if not strange. When I think of Criterion I think pre-1980 material. Lets hope this all pans out.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Armageddon was necessary to subsidize many of the titles they really do care about, but which either don't move, or move barely enough units to cover the cost of production.
This is just the way a lot of Hollywood studios function- the idea is the exploitable popcorn movie rakes in enough to subsidize 2 or 3 lower budget, 'quality' films that may not find their audience but deserve to be made.

Somehow I forgot The Apartment was a UA film. Billy Wilder & Criterion seems like a no-brainer to me- especially when they could get it out on Blu ray. One of the best films ever made, imo. If they didn't go for that one, they'd be nuts.
The AIP connection could yield several desirable packages that I could envision including a boxed Corman/Poe set, and a Bd of Planet Of the Vampires which would likely look stunning and which would be an opportunity for some great supplements centered around the work/career of Bava.
Personally I would love to see Criterion release Who'll Stop The Rain. The non anamorphic dvd is out of print now, and MGM HD has been running it lately from a new master that is leaps and bounds better. Good film too that deserves wider appreciation.
Would love to see It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World too. The glimpse I saw of it of it on MGM HD was mouth watering.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
I should've noted that only two of those are 100% confirmed, the already released FUGITIVE KIND and FRENCH LIEUTENANT'S WOMAN, the rest are based on answers from Criterion's Facebookpage and as such should be taken with a grain of salt.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Derrick King /forum/thread/272151/criterion-announces-first-blu-ray-titles/720#post_3688579
According to this post www.criterionforums.com/forums/index.php THE BLACK STALLION isn't happening.
Bummer. Someone needs to do this right, even if it's just on DVD. The 10+ year-old disc just doesn't cut it anymore,

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Paul_Scott /img/forum/go_quote.gif">
I suppose this is as good a place as any to remind people in the US, that Barnes & Noble should be having a couple of sales this summer- a Buy 2 Get 1 sale in June and a Criterion 50% off sale in July. The $5 off coupons are already available and run through July 25. For anyone not familiar with the sale in the past, using the $5 coupon , along with a member discount, you can get $40 Criterions for $13 (+ tax). If you can't wait till July, the B2G1 sale will average out to $22 for each $40 msrp title.
I've been chomping at the bit to pick up Days Of Heaven and Bigger Than Life (not to mention the upcoming Walkabout), but for those kinds of discounts, I'm willing to bide my time.
Of course things could change, but the sales have been verbally confirmed for the summer by several different store managers.
I've been waiting for another B&N Criterion sale as well. Good to hear some word that one is likely coming in July.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Yeah I stumbled on J&R's Criterion sale last night - they also have most of their DVDs marked down as well. Problem is, the selection is so limited its hard to get excited over it. Still, you gotta love these blink-or-you'll-miss-it sales.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by Paul_Scott
Armageddon was necessary to subsidize many of the titles they really do care about, but which either don't move, or move barely enough units to cover the cost of production.
This is just the way a lot of Hollywood studios function- the idea is the exploitable popcorn movie rakes in enough to subsidize 2 or 3 lower budget, 'quality' films that may not find their audience but deserve to be made.
Somehow I forgot The Apartment was a UA film. Billy Wilder & Criterion seems like a no-brainer to me- especially when they could get it out on Blu ray. One of the best films ever made, imo. If they didn't go for that one, they'd be nuts.
The AIP connection could yield several desirable packages that I could envision including a boxed Corman/Poe set, and a Bd of Planet Of the Vampires which would likely look stunning and which would be an opportunity for some great supplements centered around the work/career of Bava.
Personally I would love to see Criterion release Who'll Stop The Rain. The non anamorphic dvd is out of print now, and MGM HD has been running it lately from a new master that is leaps and bounds better. Good film too that deserves wider appreciation.
Would love to see It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World too. The glimpse I saw of it of it on MGM HD was mouth watering.
Corman/Price/Poe, is what i was thinking as well, and Mad Max, Criterion is outstandind at showcasing Directors, and this is really good Miller.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
By the way, the Qatsi movies (at least the first two) are also part of the MGM package, I believe. Criterion's working on the entire trilogy, and those movies should look very good on Blu as well.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
I thought that the rights to the first two Qatsi movies belong to American Zoetrope and they licensed the films to Criterion.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry to hear that they got their hands on "Paths of Glory". The quality of their discs are good, but I can't justify or afford paying 50 dollars for a movie......no matter how good it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks