What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I think it will depend on what HDR can bring to the proceedings. Even RAH has been rather impressed with certain B&W titles of this vintage when a steady hand of HDR has been applied.
Well I'll tell you exactly what it will bring: absolutely nothing. No HDR pass according to the listing.

So yeah... why would you give a film which in its current state is borderline 8mm in picture resolution a UHD? All they're doing is basically inviting complaints from idiots who don't know how film works including certain Bassoon players. It just boggles the mind.

Last edited:

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I'll grab Time Bandits. Again.

Criterion is dead last on my list of boutique labels I closely follow. They're a great label, they just rarely announce anything that gets my juices flowing. My single longtime wishlist title, Element of Crime, was already upgraded earlier this year so I guess I'll be following them even less now. They let a lot of good to great films pass them by and go to Kino - I wonder if they're kicking themselves for that.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Time Bandits for me.

tumblr_pf0wm8hbQy1sqf5tdo7_400.gif

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
I WILL NOT buy The Seventh Seal on 4k. Uh uh. Won't do it.

I said early on I wouldn't upgrade my Blu titles to UHD. And yet I have on dozens of titles.

But I can't imagine TSS could be improved upon enough to warrant the upgrade.

But it IS one of my favorite films. And, I'll be sure to read the reviews of the 4k/UHD. And then there'll be the next flash sale or B&N sale.

Damn it!
So much of my own pain in this post, haha. Especially when it comes to stuff I just purchased. When it comes to Criterion 4K upgrades, I've already resigned myself to the fact that I'll be plunking down money for Wes Anderson movies in UHD, though.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
So much of my own pain in this post, haha. Especially when it comes to stuff I just purchased. When it comes to Criterion 4K upgrades, I've already resigned myself to the fact that I'll be plunking down money for Wes Anderson movies in UHD, though.
Sure would upgrade my copy of Tenenbaums, if they ever issue a UHD.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
What do you have to do to get a Criterion coupon?

IF you're talking the $10 (never expiring, stackable-so-far) GC that @David Norman (and @bujaki) mentioned yesterday, AFAIK, those are usually given to subscribers of The Criterion Channel streaming service roughly 2x per year (usually just ahead of each 50%-off flash sale). Not sure how regular/sustained one's subscription needs to be to get them, but most/all(?) of us seem to have been charter members w/ (discounted) annual subscriptions near as I can tell.

_Man_

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
I'll watch The Servant again, but probably as a rental rather than a purchase. No interest in seeing the other ones again.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Well I'll tell you exactly what it will bring: absolutely nothing. No HDR pass according to the listing.

So yeah... why would you give a film which in its current state is borderline 8mm in picture resolution a UHD? All they're doing is basically inviting complaints from idiots who don't know how film works including certain Bassoon players. It just boggles the mind.
$$$$

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
IF you're talking the $10 (never expiring, stackable-so-far) GC that @David Norman (and @bujaki) mentioned yesterday, AFAIK, those are usually given to subscribers of The Criterion Channel streaming service roughly 2x per year (usually just ahead of each 50%-off flash sale). Not sure how regular/sustained one's subscription needs to be to get them, but most/all(?) of us seem to have been charter members w/ (discounted) annual subscriptions near as I can tell.

_Man_
Thanks! Sucks we do t get that channel up here. :/

plektret

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
The Bluray from the CC box comes from a DNRd master. The CC UHD should be DNR-free, just like the BFI UHD.
[The Seventh Seal] I'll have to quote myself. It seems as if Criterion is still using the DNRd master for their UHD (according to early reviews) while the BFI disc has gorgeous natural grain. What's going on at Criterion? Did they request the filtered master? I assume the filtered version was created for streaming+broadcast while the master with all grain intact is for theater+discs.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

The screencaps I've seen of the overseas UHD look pretty impressive, even with the compromised film elements. I think the mentality here is that the new restoration is a significant upgrade to the mid-2000s transfer, but probably not enough of a bump in quality for most people to buy another Blu-ray. Add in UHD and now it's a sweeter deal, even if it's not exactly demo disc material.

I do feel that UHDs are "future proofing" a lot of these apparently unnecessary releases for those who upgrade their setup to larger displays or even projection in the future. The existing Blu-ray probably won't hold up as well on a 10' projection screen, but the UHD most likely will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks