What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (1 Viewer)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Been waiting a while for Romeo and Juliet. Saw this version in 9th grade English class on VHS. Probably the first and last time I saw it .
I saw it 9th grade English class, too. Except that we went on a field trip to see it in the cinema.

I can't say as I'm surprised that Paramount passed this one on to Criterion. They probably didn't want to deal with any controversary over Olivia Hussey's underaged bare breasts. :rolleyes:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Romeo and Juliet is a lush, classical version of the piece, as far removed from the Baz version as it's possible to be. It's exquisitely made and beautifully cast. The two leads were inexperienced, and that shows occasionally, but overall, I think it's the best Romeo and Juliet on film.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Which shows the hugely varying ratings discrepancies since 1968; we’ve come a long way, but noses in many ways have gotten bluer - very inconsistent.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Originally rated G - as well as U in the UK, suitable for ages 4 and up. It was in fact later rerated PG, but as pointed out, standards have changed and evolved over time and were in a fair amount of flux in the early years.

5B934586-293C-4753-A0D3-FD93BFFA7106.jpeg

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
i guess it was safe to assume there was an adult title of that name. Probably no message of free will exists in that other film though. 😁
I've um heard these are often parodies of the original film with some plotpoint ending up with someone ending up end up ..:D!

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
probably the era in which it was run, Cockwork Orange was rated X when it was first released...

It was. So was Midnight Cowboy. I saw A Clockwork Orange its opening weeks in Boston when it was rated "X". When it moved into the 'burbs, it was rated "R". I couldn't tell the difference. As I understand it, a scene or two was trimmed by a few seconds to lower the rating. I've no doubt that it was done solely to make it easier to market in the suburbs.

The current "R" rated versions of both A Clockwork Orange and Midnight Cowboy are identical to their original "X" versions. It's just that standards have changed, and what would get an "X" circa 1970 would get an "R" later on.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
It was. So was Midnight Cowboy. I saw A Clockwork Orange its opening weeks in Boston when it was rated "X". When it moved into the 'burbs, it was rated "R". I couldn't tell the difference. As I understand it, a scene or two was trimmed by a few seconds to lower the rating. I've no doubt that it was done solely to make it easier to market in the suburbs.

The current "R" rated versions of both A Clockwork Orange and Midnight Cowboy are identical to their original "X" versions. It's just that standards have changed, and what would get an "X" circa 1970 would get an "R" later on.
The 69-70 ratings are all sort of screwed up. Part of the reason On Her Majesties Secret Service ended up taking a big loss in the US (besides Lazenby of course) was it saddled with the dreaded "M" rating that was quickly tossed for PG.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

(1) Interesting to see an upgrade to Mildred Pierce.
(2) I have the John Woo two-fer from Eureka that includes Last Hurrah for Chivalry, so I'm inclined to pass on this. Quite frankly, if they wanted to do a John Woo title, I would've killed for some sort of "ultimate edition" of Bullet in the Head.
(3) Given that it's supposed to be from a 4K restoration, I'm surprised that Criterion decided against a UHD release of Inland Empire.
(4) The JMS film is a welcome surprise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks