What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (2 Viewers)

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
The Criterion Collection has released many classic and modern films on DVD, Blu-ray, and HD Blu-ray. The only Criterion DVD that I can think of that I own is All About Eve (1950), which is easily one of my favorite classic films.

What others within the collection, particularly classics, do you own or deem essential to own?

I have some in my Amazon shopping cart now, and I will probably be placing an order of some in the near future.

Babette’s Feast, Black Narcissus, Children of Paradise, The Elephant Man, The Flight of the Phoenix, Holiday, In Cold Blood, The Last Emperor, Make Way for Tomorrow, The Philadelphia Story, Red River, Tess, Umberto D, The Uninvited
This shows the variety of releases from Criterion, all very good to excellent transfers, audio and video, most with interesting supplements. If some aren’t examples of what you typically purchase, give them a try. Now is an excellent time to delve deeply into their catalogue. Barnes & Noble is holding their semiannual half price sale, and typically Amazon will match their prices during the sale period. Enjoy!

plektret

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
For me I've always appreciated Criterion for thier dedication to PQ
The company which does their video encoding, Pixelogic, don't care about PQ so most Criterion Bluray releases looks crap nowadays. It's that special Pixelogic Legograin look. The audio is also worse than most Boutique labels because Criterion hates tape hiss.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The company which does their video encoding, Pixelogic, don't care about PQ so most Criterion Bluray releases looks crap nowadays. It's that special Pixelogic Legograin look. The audio is also worse than most Boutique labels because Criterion hates tape hiss.
Cheech And Chong Weed GIF

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I’m in agreement with all these, particularly The Ruling Class, where once again Peter O’Toole gave an brilliant, astonishing performance, yet no Oscar (though nominated). Had a particular mutual affinity for this film with my high school English teacher.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
That one might actually be with Warner. Its not like the UA and Orion Zaentzs that have bounced around from label to label.
I recall seeing a comment by someone at The One Site (who's worked in the industry, so there's a chance he's not just flapping his gums) that The Mosquito Coast reverted to Zaentz, as reason why WAC doesn't seem to be in any hurry to release it. Should've sent the question in for Feltenstein to answer on the HTF podcast he did.

So...maybe yes, maybe no.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I’m in agreement with all these, particularly The Ruling Class, where once again Peter O’Toole gave an brilliant, astonishing performance, yet no Oscar (though nominated).

Well, yeah, but he was up against Marlon Brando for The Godfather, both Michael Caine and Lawrence Olivier for Sleuth, and Paul Winfield for Sounder. It's not like you can say he was robbed at gunpoint.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I’m in agreement with all these, particularly The Ruling Class, where once again Peter O’Toole gave an brilliant, astonishing performance, yet no Oscar (though nominated). Had a particular mutual affinity for this film with my high school English teacher.
I'm truley amazing that Ruling Class hasn't gotten the restoration/Blu ray edition yet. Another title that was given a "luke warm" BD release and still in need of some love is Perter Sellars and Ringo Starr and a cast of thousands in "The Magic Christian"!!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
...there is more to come. I can't access product information from that title so I think they are still updating the page

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Haven't seen Romeo and Juliet. I wonder if it would be worth a blind buy.
The only Romeo and Juliet I have seen is the Baz Luhrmann version, and I quite liked that.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Dazed and Confused 4K now listed for February 21st.

Probably just Romeo and Juliet for me. A Blu-Ray of this version has been long overdue. It’s quite possibly my favorite movie version of the play with Olivia Hussey giving a strong portrayal of Juliet, lush cinematography, and a gorgeous Nino Rota score.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks