What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (3 Viewers)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Looking at the old NYD drawings and Safety Last came out two years before the clock clue I was thinking of.

That clue was also a number of years before the After Hours rumors.

On the second point: at the time, there was certainly a lot of guesses that it was for After Hours. Certainly in the discussion in the Criterion thread at The Other Site.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
On the second point: at the time, there was certainly a lot of guesses that it was for After Hours. Certainly in the discussion in the Criterion thread at The Other Site.
True. I wonder what that was actually a clue for, because looking at the releases of 2015 and 2016, I can't figure it out.

Robert Saccone

Premium
I haven’t seen anything on HTF yet but according to Bill Hunt’s site there was a significant layoff over at Criterion. (Not sure if it’s OK to post a link but I am sure you can find the story). I was very sorry to hear about this. Aside from the layoff news Hunt also discussed how despite all the releases that are happening how physical media sales are really on the decline. Makes me sad but it was a good dose of reality. Worth checking out.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I haven’t seen anything on HTF yet but according to Bill Hunt’s site there was a significant layoff over at Criterion. (Not sure if it’s OK to post a link but I am sure you can find the story). I was very sorry to hear about this. Aside from the layoff news Hunt also discussed how despite all the releases that are happening how physical media sales are really on the decline. Makes me sad but it was a good dose of reality. Worth checking out.
That layoff news was posted in this same thread on Thursday.

Post in thread 'Criterion Blu-ray titles!'
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/criterion-blu-ray-titles.268475/post-5170917

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This is also telling...

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Distressing news that Criterion has reorganized with downsizing of staff in anticipation of “challenges and opportunities” ahead. This is sad news not just for those who lost their positions but for Criterion’s many admirers and loyal customers.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I've literally only seen the Criterion of Armageddon at Walmart in recent memory.
The last Criterion I saw in Wal*Mart was the DVD exclusive of It's A Hard Day's Night

1666938527787.png

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
The Criterion Collection has released many classic and modern films on DVD, Blu-ray, and HD Blu-ray. The only Criterion DVD that I can think of that I own is All About Eve (1950), which is easily one of my favorite classic films.

What others within the collection, particularly classics, do you own or deem essential to own?

I have some in my Amazon shopping cart now, and I will probably be placing an order of some in the near future.

1667830879206.png

YANG

Screenwriter
I've 3 CRITERION DVDs that are considerably... modern films.
2 of 'em are Michael Bay films, ARMAGEDDON and THE ROCK.
the other, a comedy, THE ROYAL TENEBAUMS, kind of family-dra-medy that starred Ben Stiller and Gene Hackman.
use to have another comedy that starred Bill Murray, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, but lost it in the process of moving from one residence to another.

both Bay flicks seems to be the only 2 major mainstream action box-office hits that made it to the Criterion Library of DVD catalog. Criterion's ARMAGEDDON is a director's cut that runs 153mins, the ROCK is not. however the latter is probably the only release to U.S region that packs a DTS track if that matters to you.

after then, mainstream box-office hits were allocated to be release under Disney's "Exclusive Badge" of VISTA SERIES.

Terry Gilliam's BRAZIL is probably the one and only title in Criterion Library to be in DVD format. after then in the BluRay age, FOX seems to have owned the rights to release in the format.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
For me I've always appreciated Criterion for thier dedication to PQ and consitent product presentation, always contains wonderful bonus features. What initially brough me there were the Akira Kurosawa's Samurai classics...7 Samuria, Hidden Fortress, Ran, Dreams, Throne of Blood,etc. and their amazing Katsu Shintaro's matsterfull box set for Zatoichi!!

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
This should not be in the Movies section. Should be in the Blu Ray/UHD forum. Just sayin.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I love the box sets that Criterion has released and have my favorites below. I hope Criterion will release more of them.

America Lost and Found: The BBS Story
The Essential Fellini
The Complete Jacques Tati
The Essential Jacques Demy
Late Ozu
The Complete Mr. Arkadin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks