What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (1 Viewer)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I have Criterion's "Seven Samuraii" and it is spine number 2. What is spine number 1???
I made a mistake when I said Criterion's spine #1 was The Seven Samurai. Sorry. It's actually #2. I do have both versions of that disc in DVD, including the recalled version due to Toho's insistence. Then I purchased the DVD reissue and the subsequent BD issue. I also have the DVD included in the giant Criterion Kurosawa box.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Not to mention the purgatory of Warner Brothers' vault. They've driven Kevin Brownlow's restored silents into a Purgatorio worthy of Dante, too, which drove me to start buying up many old MGM laserdiscs to transfer the silent masterpieces to DVD. Only way I'll ever have them, which is sad.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Not to mention the purgatory of Warner Brothers' vault. They've driven Kevin Brownlow's restored silents into a Purgatorio worthy of Dante, too, which drove me to start buying up many old MGM laserdiscs to transfer the silent masterpieces to DVD. Only way I'll ever have them, which is sad.
Warner’s is putting stuff out as best they can...

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I made a mistake when I said Criterion's spine #1 was The Seven Samurai. Sorry. It's actually #2. I do have both versions of that disc in DVD, including the recalled version due to Toho's insistence. Then I purchased the DVD reissue and the subsequent BD issue. I also have the DVD included in the giant Criterion Kurosawa box.

How do I know which version I have, the recalled version, or the newer version? Thank you.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I don't see a restoration demonstration listed on my 3-disc set, so I presume I have the re-issue.
Mine lists: 50 minute doc on making of, as part of the Toho Masterworks series Akira Kurosawa: It is Wonderful to Create. On disc 3: My life in Cinema, "Seven Samurai": Origins and Influences. Trailers and Teasers.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I don't see a restoration demonstration listed on my 3-disc set, so I presume I have the re-issue.
Mine lists: 50 minute doc on making of, as part of the Toho Masterworks series Akira Kurosawa: It is Wonderful to Create. On disc 3: My life in Cinema, "Seven Samurai": Origins and Influences. Trailers and Teasers.
The restoration demonstration only applies to the original single disc from 1997.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
In case you need more evidence that Lionsgate has let most (if not all) of their non-grandfathered in Canal licenses lapse....

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm a big Bob Dylan mark and will be grabbing the Rolling Thunder disc, but man, what I wouldn't give for a proper concert recreation out of that footage without all the flim-flam. I don't think there's a single Dylan concert DVD/Blu in print other than the 30 Anniversary "BobFest".

Also, where's RENALDO AND CLARA? I'm sure it's a rights issue/Bob issue if it was considered at all but considering all the Rolling Thunder hoo-haw this past couple years, it's a glaring absence to not be included since it wasn't in the music only sets either. This could have been definitive boxset in a perfect world.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm waiting for the next Criterion flash sale or B&N 50% off sale to update my collection.

And with that in mind.

I have no proof yet, but I am expecting the Criterion Flash Sale to happen Oct 20. Criterion has done the 3rd Tuesday sale in 2016/2017/2018/2019 and 2 new releases this week (technically 2016 started on 3rd Monday, but close enough). Criterion Streaming service customers may have received a new $10 Gift recently so I'm hoping that was their way of dropping a hint.

I haven't heard any rumors of a BN November sale, but the last time I was in store a month ago they Discs were still there and I haven't seen any evidence they are going to skip the sale either so I'm planning on Business as usual. If you are comfortable expecting a sale, B&N has a Gift Certificate Deal now -- $20 extra rewards/gift card for purchase of a $100 Gift Card (the site says online only). The reward will be delivered around 10/31 via email and be valid through Nov 26 (Cybermonday). The Criterion Sale most often runs from 1st Friday or Tuesday in NOV through CyberMonday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks