What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (5 Viewers)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
One can only pray that The White Sheik is one of the eleven getting the 4K treatment. The Criterion DVD release of that film was perhaps the worst thing they ever issued - way too dark, missing its intermission card - it's my favorite Fellini - one of the overseas DVDs had a great transfer with the correct intermission card. Also hoping 8 1/2 is a new transfer - the previous Blu-ray from them was based on a very old master.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
It's not exactly complete. No The Clowns, Casanova, Orchestra Rehearsal, City of Women, Ginger and Fred, Voice of the Moon, as well as the anthology films Love in the City, Boccaccio '70, and Spirits of the Dead,.
It’s not supposed to be complete. It’s only the “essential” films.

Reactions: PMF

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
One can only pray that The White Sheik is one of the eleven getting the 4K treatment. The Criterion DVD release of that film was perhaps the worst thing they ever issued - way too dark, missing its intermission card - it's my favorite Fellini - one of the overseas DVDs had a great transfer with the correct intermission card. Also hoping 8 1/2 is a new transfer - the previous Blu-ray from them was based on a very old master.

The three that aren't "new" 4K restorations are probably La dolce vita, Satyricon, and Roma. La dolce vita was restored in 4K back in 2015 while Satyricon and Roma were 4K transfers/2K restorations for their respective Blu-rays. The trailer clearly has a new source for 8 1/2 and I can't imagine them not upgrading the transfer when they did so for the Bergman films.

Reactions: PMF

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

1597217193989.png
:dance:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Very surprised we didn't see any Criterion announcements on Monday. I have to clear my plans to await the press release announcements. Perhaps Tuesday?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
They did just announce their Essential Fellini collection a few days ago, maybe that's all their doing for November.

That could very well be the case, Andrew. I think last month they announced a large boxed set a few days before their usual slate of titles.

I'll keep an eye out today for any possible additions.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
December titles are up:

Crash (1996) (December 1st)
Mouchette (December 8th)
Symbiopsychotaxiplasm: Two Takes by William Greaves (December 8th)
Amores Perros (December 15th)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
This has to be a first for me and i have been collecting Criterion discs since the 1990's but for the titles released by Criterion from August to December there were only two titles i wanted. The others i have seen but do not want to own a copy and the other titles i have not seen will check it out when my local library gets them. Happy for the folks who like the recent releases but for me a slow couple of months.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Apparently Lionsgate is mentioned on the sellsheet for Amores perros, so it remains to be seen if this is a one-off done at Iñárritu's request or if they are now open to licensing out some of their catalog.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
This has to be a first for me and i have been collecting Criterion discs since the 1990's but for the titles released by Criterion from August to December there were only two titles i wanted. The others i have seen but do not want to own a copy and the other titles i have not seen will check it out when my local library gets them. Happy for the folks who like the recent releases but for me a slow couple of months.

Well, at least you found two. Me none.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Out of curiosity, what type of movies do you prefer that Criterion releases?
Criterion always has a mix each month that keeps me interested so I'm not complaining but I love it when they go slumming and do a John Waters or Russ Meyer movie and wish they did it more. I'm sure rights are with this company or that person but I'd love to see Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! get into the Criterion Collection. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks