What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
August titles are up:

The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum (August 4th)
Town Bloody Hall (August 18th)
The Comfort of Strangers (August 18th)
Toni (August 25th)

Plus the previously announced Agnès Varda box set on August 11th.

This is one of the rare slates, other than the Varda box, where I'm not familiar with any of the titles - but they're all filmmakers I've liked everything I've seen from them so far.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
This subject has likely been beaten to death before now, but...with multiple “boutique” studios now releasing UHD’s, how much longer can Criterion hold out? I understand the packaging vexation, seeing as how they struggled with it during their rollout of BD... but still. Time and the marketplace move on. Seems to me that the leap should be somewhat easier than with BD, since fewer sales now depend upon shelf space in brick and mortar stores. And as the potential packaging relates to cost...well, fans generally expect to pay a few more dollars for Criterion titles anyway.

At this point, their failure to jump onboard is affecting my purchase of their BD titles. As time moves on, willingness to double and triple dip grows dimmer.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I thought both versions (1962 and 1997 are pretty well served at present .. though I'm not sure if the 1997 version has a Region A release. They're both worth seeking out even if not in a Criterion edition.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
For those who are interested, Roger Deakins has interviewed Lee Kline of Criterion for his podcast. In the podcast, Kline talks about the upcoming release of The Lady Eve (warning that while it looks good, it could have been even better) and reveals that Criterion are working on a new release of The Man Who Wasn’t There as well as a Bollywood boxset, which sounds very intriguing.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
That's a terrific podcast. Kline's interview for HTF was also great. It doesn't seem that often that cinematographers are brought into the conversation about preservation and restoration like this, so hearing Deakins give his thoughts is a treat.

Harold Chasen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Kline talks about the upcoming release of The Lady Eve (warning that while it looks good, it could have been even better)

Just to clarify, he says that it could look better IF they can ever find better source material. After lots of searching, they were not able to turn up anything really good looking for it, so they did the best with what they had. He says the disc looks good enough, but not really great; clearly, he's disappointed that he wasn't able to make it look better. But he feels most people will be satisfied with it.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Based on a Scream Factory response about one of their releases, I don't think Paramount is licensing UHD rights. So even if they were releasing UHDs, they likely couldn't do The Elephant Man. I don't know what people expect Criterion to do, ignore the massive market because they can't release a title on UHD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks