What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (1 Viewer)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
The Long Voyage Home is one of the Caidin Film Trust titles in the Westchester Films library, which Shout! Factory owns, but Criterion has home video rights to. Foreign Correspondent, To Be or Not to Be, I Married a Witch, and Stagecoach are in the same group of films. (Warner used to have home video rights when Westchester was Castle Hill)
Well, they put out STAGECOACH, so I’m hopeful for VOYAGE.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
According to a member over at the Criteironforum.org, last night at the Wexner Center, the Film Foundation's Margaret Bodde said that their restoration of I Know Where I'm Going is coming from Criterion and that Criterion are also releasing Scorsese's Rolling Thunder Review.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
YES to I Know Where I'm Going! And now to The Elusive Pimpernel which looks fantastic in Technicolor (and seems to be quite elusive).

I am very heartened by the news of a restored I Know Where I'm Going being released by Criterion. I would also love to see The Scarlet Pimpernel from 1934, The Return of the Scarlet Pimpernel from 1937, and The Elusive Pimpernel from 1950 be restored and released.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
If you were wondering why there was no announcement today:

The Criterion Collection Newsletter said:
Dear members of the Criterion community,

It’s the middle of the month, and under normal circumstances we would have announced our June DVD and Blu-ray releases today. As we all know these are not normal circumstances.

In order to be conscientious citizens and to reduce/delay the spread of COVID-19, the Criterion team spent much of last week transitioning to a remote working environment. It is our sincere hope that we will be able to continue our work this way, serving our mission while attending to the health, safety, and economic security of 100% of our staff.

We’ve been heartened by all the people who have reached out to us by email or shouted out on social networks to ask how we are doing, and the answer is, so far, so good. Our employees are up and running with the new protocols, and we’ll do everything we can to adapt as the situation evolves. We expect to move forward with the announcement of June titles in the next day or two.

We’re also aiming to announce the Criterion Channel’s April lineup next week. April 8 will be the Channel’s first birthday, and in celebration we’ve pulled out all the stops with a ton of great programming. Under the circumstances, we’re glad we did!

Finally, many of you have asked if there is anything you can do, and there is. If you haven’t tried out the Criterion Channel yet, please check it out, and if you like what you see, please sign up for a 14-day free trial. Subscribing and giving gift subscriptions to the Channel are probably the most important things you can do to help ensure that we can keep serving our audiences and our filmmakers, supporting our staff, and making sure that we can all stay connected with the movies we love.

Thanks, as always, for your support. We’ll keep working hard to earn it.

All the best,
Peter Becker and Jonathan Turell

Yeah this is going to be a rough couple of months.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Logistically, I could see them moving up some of the planned Blu-ray upgrades on their internal schedule if no new bonus content was planned for such releases, since it's bonus content that needs to be produced and new masters that still need preparation that would require most of their office work. One (or more) of the four box sets they hinted at in the NYE clue for 2020 could be pushed into 2021 for this reason, too.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
MRzDHyDi6HC9QZcAmAG84QPBuQAGc3.jpg

Dear members of the Criterion community,

It’s the middle of the month, and under normal circumstances we would have announced our June DVD and Blu-ray releases today. As we all know these are not normal circumstances.

In order to be conscientious citizens and to reduce/delay the spread of COVID-19, the Criterion team spent much of last week transitioning to a remote working environment. It is our sincere hope that we will be able to continue our work this way, serving our mission while attending to the health, safety, and economic security of 100% of our staff.

We’ve been heartened by all the people who have reached out to us by email or shouted out on social networks to ask how we are doing, and the answer is, so far, so good. Our employees are up and running with the new protocols, and we’ll do everything we can to adapt as the situation evolves. We expect to move forward with the announcement of June titles in the next day or two.

We’re also aiming to announce the Criterion Channel’s April lineup next week. April 8 will be the Channel’s first birthday, and in celebration we’ve pulled out all the stops with a ton of great programming. Under the circumstances, we’re glad we did!

Finally, many of you have asked if there is anything you can do, and there is. If you haven’t tried out the Criterion Channel yet, please check it out, and if you like what you see, please sign up for a 14-day free trial. Subscribing and giving gift subscriptions to the Channel are probably the most important things you can do to help ensure that we can keep serving our audiences and our filmmakers, supporting our staff, and making sure that we can all stay connected with the movies we love.

Thanks, as always, for your support. We’ll keep working hard to earn it.

All the best,
Peter Becker and Jonathan Turell

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Just looked at the Criterion website and the dvd box set of Welles's Mr. Arkadin is "Currently Unavailable" and there is speculation that a Blu-ray set might be coming soon?

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
They’re up:

An Unmarried Woman (June 9)
The Cameraman (June 16)
Portrait of a Woman on Fire (June 23)
Tokyo Olympiad stand-alone (June 23)
Come and See (June 30)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Been waiting for Criterion's release of The Cameraman for a couple years now. My most anticipated release of theirs for a while, so can't wait to pick it up and watch the new restoration.

I DVR'd The Camerman when it aired (on TCM, I believe) not too long ago.

Watched it recently and REALLY enjoyed it.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
With the Tokyo Olympiad getting its release, I presume Leni Riefenstahl's 'Olympia' won't be far behind. I'm surprised it didn't get issued alongside Tokyo Olympics.
This year the Olympics(R)(TM) are in Tokyo
2020+Olympics.jpg

(assuming they're not cancelled) ...

Criterion has announced they are discounting DVDs and Blu-Rays to 30% off suggested retail when purchased from their website until April 30, 2020.

Since I've purchased a lot from Criterion sales(?) I was emailed a one time "gift certificate code" for $10.00 off. I used it and the sale prices to Pre-order Show Boat (1936) and Prince of Tides for $45.96 including shipping. If I order from Target or B&N I would be charges 10.7% Tax (or 5.X from Deep Discount) so it may be a better deal for some than waiting on a sale.

The sales price also puts me that much closer to another $50.00 gift certificate.

Last edited:

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
I also purchased a couple of titles with the $10 off coupon plus the 30% off bringing the total within a couple of bucks of the usual sale prices. I ordered Show Boat and Destry Rides Again.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Pre-ordered Leave Her to Heaven and Show Boat, as well as Husbands and Scorsese Shorts thanks to their site discount and a gift cert. Might go ahead and pre-order the stuff I would have saved for the July B&N sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks