What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (2 Viewers)

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
?

I reviewed the Criterion Blu-ray edition of The Killers (1946/1964) four years ago. Go here to read the review. Or did I misunderstand you?

The way I interpret it is that Universal and the Film Foundation have done updated restorations of the two “Killers” adaptations. Whether Criterion will reissue them with the new restorations is another story.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Like was just said, new restorations have been undertaken. I was just double-checking before I had posted, and the article I found about the new restorations (https://patch.com/california/studiocity/scorsese-spielberg-team-restore-classic-films) was from 2 years ago. Obviously, who knows whether Criterion will issue those new restorations for the two versions of The Killers, but my comments about the other two movies mentioned (My Little Chickadee and Winchester '73) at the time should still hold true. Question, though, for those who may be better informed: that article I referenced said that more titles would be announced that Universal and the Film Foundation would work together on, but that article is the last I've seen (or heard) on the subject. Has anybody heard anything else since on what additional titles (if any) have been announced?

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Over on the other forum, the Kino Lorber Insider just said they got one W.C. Fields movie in their new deal with Universal, and that most of them were licensed to another label. If I were to guess, Kino *probably* got The Big Broadcast Of 1938 (since they got a few more Bob Hope films), and I would guess, as I have stated previously, that Criterion probably got a few of the others. Again, just a few guesses on my part.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I’m hoping it’s INTERNATIONAL HOUSE.
Obviously, I don't know without the Kino insider confirming, but if they said they have one film, and they have also said that, with there being 17 unreleased on Blu-ray Bob Hope titles, they were only interested in about 5 or 6 (at least, I think that's the number they stated), and they got them, The Big Broadcast Of 1938 would seem very likely, being that it's Bob Hope's movie debut, not to mention the introduction of his theme song "Thanks For The Memories." Beyond The Paleface and The Cat And The Canary, I'm not sure what else of his they would be most likely to go for (since we know Kino has The Ghost Breakers from their first deal with Universal).
And of course, I am speculating that Criterion is the other label that got most of the W.C. Fields movies (since, unless it was a typo, Kino's insider seemed to indicate it was one label), mostly due to Universal and The FIlm Foundation working together to restore My Little Chickadee with two of their previous collaborations licensed to Criterion. It could well be Shout that got those movies, especially after their recent Abbott & Costello set (although I still say Criterion seems more likely/preferable, given the fact that Shout doesn't seem to get the better transfers from Universal for any of their releases consistently).

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I'm hoping for both Big Broadcast of 1938 and International House (either/or most likely). Both are a hoot and so much fun. I'll be buying up future Kino titles like crazy, not so much Criterion.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I used to believe that putting their originals on disc was nothing but detrimental to their business model. You subscribe to Netflix cause they have stuff that isn’t anywhere else; if it’s available elsewhere, you don’t need Netflix.

But what I’m guessing and seeing from end of years sales numbers is that streaming subscriptions are so much more popular than physical media that perhaps we’re at a point where there’s very little overlap between the two. At this point, it would seem, a disc release doesn’t matter in a negative way because most Netflix viewers were gonna stream no matter what, and most disc buyers were never gonna stream no matter what. I figured they’d use the award nominations to push subscriptions and that seemed harder to me to do when people can see there’s a disc coming if they wait. Netflix must feel that there’s almost no overlap between those groups. That’s an interesting development.

Criterion is a good home for these films. I’m glad they’re getting quality releases. Definitely interested in Irishman special features!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks